Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anybody know why my 4.6 Thor 01' would lock into direct drive as low a speed as 34mph sometimes?
It's done it from day one when I bought it, I have fitted new Leeds plugs and new airflow meter along with having a textbook check saying that there may be a fault with the knock sensors on one bank, I have ordered the parts but not sure that it would cause this anyway?
Some input or knowledge would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,227 Posts
Yup.. Mine does it too.. Which is fine until you want to accelerate and it doesn't unlock until you really press on the throttle..

I don't seem to remember my GEMS ones doing it when I had them years ago... But I did drive with a bit of a heavier foot then!
Marty

Sent from my S4

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
It will do it in 3rd too, why not check with a multimeter at the ecu what the solenoid is doing (or at least receiving).

Took me about 10 mins to rig up something, then you can see if it actually is this, as it should be >45mph (3rd/4th), could be a gear change holding on too long.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,227 Posts
It shouldn't do - it just electronically adjusts the shift pattern in the gearbox ECU to hold revs a bit longer before changing. And also will change down a bit quicker when throttle is added.

I think it will also drop down into the lowest gear it can without over revving the engine when kick down is noticed - rather than just dropping a gear in normal mode. I remember reading up on it all awhile ago, but don't really use it, so don't remember most of it!

Marty

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't know about the later models but the owners manual for my '95 4.6 GEMS actually recommends selecting sport mode when towing. Only thing it'll potentially hurt is your mpg!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so my update to my dd locking up is thus:
Firstly since I have had the car I noticed the throttle is very stiff and hard to get used to and coupled with this early dd lock up it was doing my head in.
This sat I had a fiddle! Found the LPG filter needed changing and a slight leak on the main LPG pipe from the vaporiser to the injectors. After changing the filter and the pipe I then found a thread on here that said the throttle cable on the thors can become kinked and someone posed that you should lay it in a wider arc, well that's what I did and what a difference, it is smooth and dd locks up much later plus my kick down is more responsive too, I'm guessing fuel pressure problems and throttle position had been playing up for a while. Love this forum!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.