1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm seriously considering getting this:

http://shop.difflock.com/range-rover-dr ... -p-42.html

I see there's little info on the forum, so I'd appreciate more reviews/tips/etc.. about the difflock drain plug.

Also, I'm confused about the following:

IMPORTANT! due to the proximity of the Exhaust to the Sump Drain there is insufficient room to fit a standard plug and still attach the drain hose. For all V8 engines from 3.9 upwards you need to select the correct engine from the drop down list below and a COMPACT drain hose. A standard, straight or right-angled hose will not fit.
If my memory serves me right, this is not the case for a V8 P38, and the compact hose costs more than twice the regular hose. I'm emailing difflock, but I trust you guys more.

N.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Dont think I would use one simply dont trust it, I wouldnt like to be caught 150km from anywere with no oil in my diff because one of the o-rings decided to pack up

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
I have this item fitted to mine, you don't need the right angled one on the 99 onwards V8, as there's plenty of room.
Had it on for a couple of years and it does what it says on the box :thumb:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,219 Posts
JeremyD said:
Dont think I would use one simply dont trust it, I wouldnt like to be caught 150km from anywere with no oil in my diff because one of the o-rings decided to pack up
Can't just fail as it comes with a brass screw on cover that has an o ring seal. If you haven't seen it you don't know how well manufactured it is. :think:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I also have had 1 fitted to the last 3 LR's in 9 years, never had one fail.
I think the part no. you need is DP1010, and you don't need the compact drainhose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can recommend this as well. I've got one on my 2.5D, dead simple oil changes, no more mess.

I wouldn't worry about it's reliability, as mentioned here plenty of reliable history. It fail safes closed, and has the outer cap as a secondary backup, if the internal spring fails it will most probably be as you connect the drain hose! Probably a similar risk to the sump plug falling out.

I wish every car had one of these fitted.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input guys ! I'm almost sold on getting a difflock for my next oil change.

john-sussex said:
mine leaked, changed it ----- still leaked!
John, could you please expand ? Where was the leak ? Could have been because of an enlarged sump drain hole ?

N.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've contacted Justin @difflock, but his response contradicts what's on their website.

For you guys that have it installed, could you please check your records and confirm the part# for the plug and hose ?

Thanks,

N.

·
Registered
537 Posts
NachoMan77 said:
Thanks for the input guys ! I'm almost sold on getting a difflock for my next oil change.

john-sussex said:
mine leaked, changed it ----- still leaked!
John, could you please expand ? Where was the leak ? Could have been because of an enlarged sump drain hole ?

N.
Sure, both leaked around the inner seal, only the cap stopped it from leaking to the outside world. The fit in the sump was fine.
Sorry don't trust them, So back to a 'proper' plug.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update:

here's the final word on the difflock for the P38, right from the horse's mouth :)

Justin @difflock.com said:
Hello Ignacio,

I have now received the original drain plug for your vehicle ‘Land Rover Part Number LSF100040L’ which is a M14 x 1,5 SB-T11.5 which is Part Number S027-1-DP1039 so as long as you have no clearance issues as stated in your earlier email there should be no problem with this Drain Plug and the standard Drain Hose S027-1-DP1041.

Kind Regards

Justin Lacey
Difflock.com Ltd
john-sussex's post got me thinking. Not sold on the difflock yet. Hope this info helps. BTW, I'm still interested on getting more feedback for this product.

N.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts