RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Differential & Transfer case Fluid Type (Alternative Fluids)

Hi all -
I bit of context surrounding this post, I know we have several threads running around with this similar question. My only issue with those threads is that many of them side-shift or start to get clear as mud with international products and fluids not readily available in North America. I am hoping to get one set of fluid names/types to use myself & for others to reference when it comes to doing this chore.

I have two L320 Rovers, one is an 08 HSE 4.4 that has the rear locker. It has 125k on it, and I don't believe the previous owner had them serviced. (He did service it at LR dealer, but we know how these get overlooked.) I was reading somewhere that the rear takes a special fluid since it has a locker?

The other Rover is a MY13 Supercharged 60k with, oddly enough, no rear locker according to the 4x4i screen. (I put the transfer case in Low and moved through the special programs, and the only thing that appeared was the center lock.) In this case having only the TC lock, what do I put in it?

I know I could just go to the dealer and buy the OEM fluid. However it irks me to think the fluid I just paid 300x markup for is the same stuff I see at my auto parts store. Not to mention I have two rovers to care for, and will be taking the 08 Rover across the country on a road trip this summer. Would like it to be just a little bit more reassuring. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
516 Posts
Re: Differential & Transfer case Fluid Type (Alternative Flu

Atlantic British is a great place to start. Their website will have the correct fluids listed for each vehicle and the prices are reasonable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Atlantic British is a great place to start. Their website will have the correct fluids listed for each vehicle and the prices are reasonable.
Thanks MI2VA for the feedback. I did search Atlantic British's site, however wasn't too overly excited at the selection they had, or their prices. That aside, I wanted to find out what these fluids were in the event that on my road trip should I need a fluid, I wouldn't be stuck waiting for a shipment to arrive.

I ended up doing some heavy google searching and found the following:

Front Diff: 75w-90 Synthetic GL-5 (I used Lucas Oil)
Rear Diff: 75w -90 Synthetic GL-5 (No need for Limited Slip additive since Lucas has it already in it)
Transfer Case: No one stocks the Shell TF0753 unless you visit a dealer and pay a ridiculous price for it. I found out that Royal Purple Syncromax is a compatible alternative for these cases. Its Transfer case/Manual Tranny fluid which can be sourced anywhere for $4-6/bottle.

Now the differentials are a bit sensitive, you can use the cheap 75w-90 stuff that is $4-7/btl in the front diff since its open. The rear diff needs to be checked to see if you have a locker. Locking diffs need Synthetic oils with LSD additive. At $16/btl I just said to hell with it and put it in both my front and rear diffs.

After using this in both my 08 HSE and my 13 Supercharged Autobiography they run perfectly find. I ran the transfer case motor a couple of times from HI to Low and it shifts beautifully. The diffs dont have any chatter or noise from them. It actually almost seems like the car has a bit less resistance when coasting now with fresh fluid. humm..

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
159 Posts

Synchromax is good for the t-case and easily available. I am running Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil in my front and rear diffs on both my sports but for customers who are just running around town and not off roading I usually use the Lucas.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
120 Posts

Synchromax is good for the t-case and easily available. I am running Redline lightweight shockproof gear oil in my front and rear diffs on both my sports but for customers who are just running around town and not off roading I usually use the Lucas.
+1

I use Redline for everything other than engine oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts