Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The differential had to be replaced on my 2015 RRS SVR. I recognize it is almost 8 years old but it only has 78k kilometres on it. Cost was $6000. There were no recalls for the differential and no surprise Land Rover would not cover any of the cost because of the number of years out of warranty. Dealer said a differential replacement is unusual especially with such low mileage. This is what happens as I impatiently wait for the 2024 SVR to be launched.

· Registered
94 Posts
The rear pinion seal on our differential is a known failure point (it also fails on F-Types and full size RR). My 2015 SVR after 6 years with 38,000 miles had the rear pinion seal start leaking I caught the slow leak when I was preparing to change the rear differential fluid. Fortunately, they now make pinion seal replacement kits so the differential does not need to be completely replaced. It cost me $2,500 for the new seal install with labor at the dealer (a special tool is required).

Perhaps your differential starting leaking and then it became low on fluid causing it to be destroyed? Did the dealer say what the root cause of the issue was? Did you change your rear differential fluid at the 5 year mark (as LR recommends)?

I may change my differential fluid every 3 years so I can check all the seals. These trucks eat through differentials.

· Registered
2015 Range Rover Sport SCV8 HSE Dynamic
882 Posts
The rear pinion seal on our differential is a known failure point (it also fails on F-Types and full size RR). My 2015 SVR after 6 years with 38,000 miles had the rear pinion seal start leaking I caught the slow leak when I was preparing to change the rear differential fluid. Fortunately, they now make pinion seal replacement kits so the differential does not need to be completely replaced. It cost me $2,500 for the new seal install with labor at the dealer (a special tool is required).
Perhaps your differential starting leaking and then it became low on fluid causing it to be destroyed? Did the dealer say what the root cause of the issue was? Did you change your rear differential fluid at the 5 year mark (as LR recommends)?
I may change my differential fluid every 3 years so I can check all the seals. These trucks eat through differentials.

this is exactly what happened to mine, even though it only leaked about 2 tablespoons of oil! I saw the oil one morning, took it in straight away for the rear pinion seal recall. About a month later, I started hearing a high-pitched whine from the back, and yup, they had to replace the diff. Fortunately it was done under warranty, since it was the rear pinion seal leak which had caused it to fail.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I first noticed a bit of oil on garage floor. Took it to the dealer and they said it was leaking oil from both the seal and the casing which means it has to be replaced. Also they said there was physical damage observed. I had all scheduled maintenance completed previously. The invoice states “differential leaking oil from case and seals, and excessive play on pinion”. I asked both dealer Land Rover if there were any applicable recalls or supplemental warranty and they said no.

· Registered
12 Posts
Part # LR070144 CND $4924.99 less core return $875. I am inquisitive why you are asking for this information?
Thanks friend. I'm just interested in how much this costs at the dealer vs what you could get the part for locally. I found one of those locally for about $2.5k. I don't know how much an indy would charge to have one of these installed though. Just trying to figure out what I might be in store for in the future. I have a 2017 RRS.

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your welcome. Just to add I could have waited for a refurbished differential that was about $900 cheaper, but it was coming from the UK and was a minimum three weeks away. I had a lot of highway driving planned so I went with the new unit and had it in a couple of days. Interesting I swear the vehicle centres better on the highway since the differential was replaced…maybe the old one was out of balance?

· Registered
2014 RRS
1,716 Posts
Thanks friend. I'm just interested in how much this costs at the dealer vs what you could get the part for locally. I found one of those locally for about $2.5k. I don't know how much an indy would charge to have one of these installed though. Just trying to figure out what I might be in store for in the future. I have a 2017 RRS.
Was that new or used?

· Registered
12 Posts
Your welcome. Just to add I could have waited for a refurbished differential that was about $900 cheaper, but it was coming from the UK and was a minimum three weeks away. I had a lot of highway driving planned so I went with the new unit and had it in a couple of days. Interesting I swear the vehicle centres better on the highway since the differential was replaced…maybe the old one was out of balance?
I would have done the same if I was in your shoes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts