RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was rear ended and it totaled the other car. it barely scratched the Rover . The subaru went underneath. Probalbly 45 miles perhour collision. After the totaled car was pulled out, as my wife drove away she heard the grinding noise of the differential. The front differential recall was performed 18 months ago with no problems. The impact ruined the front differential. Statefarm, the other persons insurance is trying not to pay. my wife has been in there rental for 45 days. The differntial was taken apart and one of the bearings was damaged causig the noise. This same bearing was replaced as per the recall. Land rover says I need a front differential but they cant get one any time soon. I called another land rover in atlanta and they said they had a front differential but it wouldn't work since i had the modification from the recall. But they said they had four of the recall kits in stock that have the bearing I need. Is there a new differential available for rovers if they fail after the recall work. What do i need to fix my car, its on the lift at land rover. How could the collision have caused this? thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
You might want to get them to check all of the gearbox and engine mounting rubbers.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
144 Posts
Can i make a suggestion?

It seems to me that "differential failure 18 months after recall service" <> (does not equal) "My wife was rear ended @ 45 mph, now the recalled diff from 18 months ago is broken"

The title if this sounds like it's the rear diff failing after the recall, however this may or may not be the cause of the trouble. I suspect the 45 mph hit may be a contributing factor and no need to alarm us that we may need to do that thing again!

If i were you i would get a lawyer - simple fact - the car worked before the wreck now it's broken - so state farm should make you whole by putting it back to where it was pre-wreck.

JH

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
In regard to your question, "How could the collision have caused this?" Forward moving shock from the collision translated to the front diff. If you get tagged hard while in gear, it can cause all sorts of issues with the trans, diffs, etc.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you get hit in the back and the vehicle gets shoved forward this will cause a large amount of stress on all sorts of things, including the occupants. The insurance company is denying the problem just to throw you off, hoping you will accept that answer and just go away. I agree, get a lawyer and get a real mechanic involved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
state farm, gave in today after 45 days in the rental car and me having the same conversation with them twice a week. I finally got the number of the bosses Boss. Thanks for your suggestions, a lawyer would have been the next call. Land Rover says the old style differential can't be used to replace the recall modified differential. They don't know how to fix it. crazy. they said they might could take the old style differential and add a flange to it? Anyone have a suggestion? thanks

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
mullinsford said:
state farm, gave in today after 45 days in the rental car and me having the same conversation with them twice a week. I finally got the number of the bosses Boss. Thanks for your suggestions, a lawyer would have been the next call. Land Rover says the old style differential can't be used to replace the recall modified differential. They don't know how to fix it. crazy. they said they might could take the old style differential and add a flange to it? Anyone have a suggestion? thanks
They don't know how to fix it? If you're paying for this repair out of pocket I suggest you go somewhere else.

Why can't they use an old style dif? If they can modify the old style to new style, why can't they just give you an old style and modify it? Did they explain the reasoning behind that? Even if there is a valid reason, they should be able to order whatever parts are keeping them from finishing the repair. A drive shaft, the diff, the spline, etc. It's not like if your diff breaks the truck is totaled. Unless there's something they're not telling you, or something is so mangled they don't know how to fix it...

The independent shop I go to would tell you exactly what's up, how much the repair will be, then have it done fairly quickly.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,369 Posts
When the front propshaft spline failures first started, Land Rover workshops replaced the complete front differential assembly (though there was nothing wrong with it) along with the front propshaft to avoid having to remove the pinion drive tube and thereby upsetting the pinion bearing preloads.

When the Q041 recall (oops, sorry, I mean the Loyalty Assurance Programme upgrade) took place Land Rover clearly didn’t fancy the idea of forking out for 125,000 new front differentials so they issued a kit of parts, special tools and instructions for the LR workshops to strip down the differential and replace the knackered drive tube with a new flange to mate with the new universal joint at the front of the improved propshaft.

The procedure involved discarding the pinion tail bearing and replacing it with a new one, along with a new collapsible bearing spacer and detailed instructions were given on how to achieve the necessary bearing preload.

As brad s1 stated, an old-style differential can therefore be brought up to date with the upgrade kit.

Phil

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
RRPhil said:
When the front propshaft spline failures first started, Land Rover workshops replaced the complete front differential assembly (though there was nothing wrong with it) along with the front propshaft to avoid having to remove the pinion drive tube and thereby upsetting the pinion bearing preloads.

When the Q041 recall (oops, sorry, I mean the Loyalty Assurance Programme upgrade) took place Land Rover clearly didn’t fancy the idea of forking out for 125,000 new front differentials so they issued a kit of parts, special tools and instructions for the LR workshops to strip down the differential and replace the knackered drive tube with a new flange to mate with the new universal joint at the front of the improved propshaft.

The procedure involved discarding the pinion tail bearing and replacing it with a new one, along with a new collapsible bearing spacer and detailed instructions were given on how to achieve the necessary bearing preload.

As brad s1 stated, an old-style differential can therefore be brought up to date with the upgrade kit.

Phil
Thanks for that post, I wasn't sure what was involved in the modification, that's good to know!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Land Rover found a differential for trucks with the modification, the new style differential for failures after the upgrade. They are only two in stock in the usa. Then i hope all will be well. They also could have modified an old style differential, but the insurance wouldn't authorize the additional cost. thanks

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Many thanks rrphil for the clarification on the diff repair procedure. It finally makes more sense than it ever has. I hope you will still be contributing when we get a new style.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the car back last night. Today my wife heard a bump or thump. Later she has loss of drive. Trans fail safe, engine failsafe indicator . I go out, it will not crank. Burning smell in the air. I disconnect the battery to try and reset. no change. It will be towed to Land Rover tomorrow morning. I wonder what happened. Either the differential failed or the transmission from the incorrect tension on the driveshaft? any ideas? What ever they done must of caused it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts