RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly, I'm in Scotland and I've got a good original UK 2001 4.6 vogue in which everything works. I'll call this vehicle "A"
I've just acquired another UK 4.6 vogue from Y2000. (B) It has been messed with, like a car stereo stuck in the radio space, bits of trim missing or broken, etc.
Assuming the original radio would be the same alpine as in "A", both being the harman kardon audio type with subwoofer and CD changer, I acquired a second hand unit.
Seems to work, but no audio.
Tried it in "A". Worked, but radio audio still audible while CD playing. Weird.
Looked closer and noticed that plug wiring in "A" was completely different from B. Both looms looked untouched by meddling fingers. Surely the main plug wiring would be standard?
Then noticed that the model numbers on the two alpines were different, even though they look identical.

So- questions.....Why is the plug wiring vastly different. You would at least expect the 8 speaker wires to be in the same plug position.
Are there different alpines? For different years?
How do I identify the correct one for mine?

rgds Alan

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
Sounds like you have one with the DSP amp in the boot so will only output two channels (left and right) with the balance and fade controlled over a data line while the other one has all 4 channels coming fro the head unit to amps in the doors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you have one with the DSP amp in the boot so will only output two channels (left and right) with the balance and fade controlled over a data line while the other one has all 4 channels coming fro the head unit to amps in the doors.
Hmm, still puzzled about the completely different wiring on the plugs. I wonder if veh B was sitting in a dealers for a while before being registered, and is actually older, predating DSP?
Alan

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
There's two plugs that go into the head unit, one is the standard DIN format for power, the other is for the output(s). On a standard system with no DSP amp, there's 8 (or sometimes 10 if it includes the output for the sub), for the 4 channels which are then wired to the individual amps in each door. On a vehicle fitted with the DSP amp, a similar 8 way DIN plug is used to carry the left and right channels on 4 of the wires and a data line. On the Vogue there was the High line audio system and the Premium audio system, the former having the door amps and no DSP, the latter having the DSP system, both labelled as Harmon Kardon. It sounds like you have the Premium with DSP (do you have a DSP option in the sound menu in addition to Bass, Treble, Balance and Fade) and ythe earlier car has the High line system. Although they look the same, there are different Alpine units depending on year and spec, There's AMR6285 up to VIN XA410503 and XQD101580LNF from VIN XA410504. Then there are a number of other, also similar looking units, that were fitted to the Low and Mid line systems that were fitted to lower spec cars. What are the part numbers of the two units you have?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll get them out tomorrow and have a look.
Alan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll get them out tomorrow and have a look.
Alan
There's two plugs that go into the head unit, one is the standard DIN format for power, the other is for the output(s). On a standard system with no DSP amp, there's 8 (or sometimes 10 if it includes the output for the sub), for the 4 channels which are then wired to the individual amps in each door. On a vehicle fitted with the DSP amp, a similar 8 way DIN plug is used to carry the left and right channels on 4 of the wires and a data line. On the Vogue there was the High line audio system and the Premium audio system, the former having the door amps and no DSP, the latter having the DSP system, both labelled as Harmon Kardon. It sounds like you have the Premium with DSP (do you have a DSP option in the sound menu in addition to Bass, Treble, Balance and Fade) and ythe earlier car has the High line system. Although they look the same, there are different Alpine units depending on year and spec, There's AMR6285 up to VIN XA410503 and XQD101580LNF from VIN XA410504. Then there are a number of other, also similar looking units, that were fitted to the Low and Mid line systems that were fitted to lower spec cars. What are the part numbers of the two units you have?
The newer 2001 vehicle has a 101550LNF with a DSP menu, with four power? wires on the tan plug, and a full grey plug with a number of terminals having twin wires.

I mistakenly acquired an AMR6284 for the slightly older vehicle, which has four power? wires on the tan plug, and only five wires on the grey plug.

Both vehicles look like the joined triple plugs at the top are similar.

I haven't tried the 101550LNF in the older vehicle in case something bad happened!

Older vehicle is vin 456144 and newer vin 460701

rgds Alan

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
The older one looks to have the DSP system too, the 4 wires on the brown plug are the left and right channel outputs which would go to the DSP amp, while the grey plug with 5 wires has permanent power, ignition switched power, ground, steering wheel control input and turn on power for the aerial amps. Quite why you have a full set of 8 wires in the grey plug on the later car is anyone's guess. maybe the loom was standardised so the same one could be used for DSP and non-DSP installations? Trying the later 101550LNF, which replaced the 101580LNF (even though the number would suggest it is an earlier variant), in the earlier car might be worth trying. It'll either work or it won't......

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'll give the 101550 a try.
Thanks for all the info. I'm a little bit wiser now!
rgds Alan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I'll give the 101550 a try.
Thanks for all the info. I'm a little bit wiser now!
rgds Alan
Well, the 101550 seemed to work, although it didn't seem quite as loud as the other vehicle.
No DSP menu option, and when I fiddled with the bal / fader it became obvious that the rear speakers and sub weren't working.
Took the left load area trim off. No sub box! Would that affect the rear speakers?
Haven't found the DSP amp yet, but it must be there if the front speakers are working.
Oh well some progress. I'll start looking for a sub box, and a second 101550 or 101580.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
The DSP amp is buried in the sound deadening behind where the sub should be. When the DSP amp dies, some people have replaced it with one from a Discovery which works but only gives an output from the front speakers. Sounds like someone has swapped it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The DSP amp is buried in the sound deadening behind where the sub should be. When the DSP amp dies, some people have replaced it with one from a Discovery which works but only gives an output from the front speakers. Sounds like someone has swapped it.
How will I recognise an original DSP or a disco one?
Alan

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
Look at the part number on the label and compare it with the picture. Early DSP amp was XQK100290 which superseded to XQK100340.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No DSP amp. Empty space.
Found this though. Please don't laugh. It's not funny !

Bah, Humbug. I'm taking my good radio out fast, before this lot shorts out something.
Alan

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
So all someone has done is connected the left and right channels from the head unit to the feeds that go to the front door speakers and paralleled them up too so there's no crossovers involved. Marty has produced a guide along with a document that shows which wires do what (**INFO** P38 Alpine/DSP Amp Connections and wiring). You could use the older head unit you got and run additional feeds from the rear outputs and do a similar connection for the rear speakers. A bit of a bodge but it should work, although the volume may still be low as the head unit will have been designed for use with external amps, either the DSP or individual door amps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So all someone has done is connected the left and right channels from the head unit to the feeds that go to the front door speakers and paralleled them up too so there's no crossovers involved. Marty has produced a guide along with a document that shows which wires do what (INFO P38 Alpine/DSP Amp Connections and wiring). You could use the older head unit you got and run additional feeds from the rear outputs and do a similar connection for the rear speakers. A bit of a bodge but it should work, although the volume may still be low as the head unit will have been designed for use with external amps, either the DSP or individual door amps.
Yes, something like that.
I'll look into a four or five channel amp to insert into the wiring and drive the fronts, rears, and sub. The single left and right wires should each drive a pair of amps ok.
The earlier head units had all the adjustments in the head unit, and I've accidently got one of those.
All I'm really doing is effectively putting the old door amps in the one place.

Alternatively, I could acquire a DSP amp, multiplug, and about six inches of wiring loom, and reinstate the correct setup. That would probably be simpler.

rgds Alan

·
Super Moderator
2,224 Posts
Simpler but working DSP amps are like rocking horse droppings and brand new are horrendously expensive. Marty has produced a unit using 4 door amps mounted on a plate so can be fitted where the DSP amp did live. That way you retain the integrated crossovers and there's very little additional wiring to add. See DSP AMP Replacement

1 - 17 of 17 Posts