RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shortly after buying my 95 lwb a year ago I changed all the fluids. The transfer box fluid drained out completely black with the viscosity of watered down water. Considering I bought the truck from and indy LR shop owner with a British accent :naughty: that promised me "all fluids and maintenance" had just been done, I was not encouraged.:oops:

I replaced it with synthetic Valvoline High Mileage and drained it again after about 1,000 miles. It drained out rather dark again with blackish fine particles floating in the dark red stuff. I replaced the Valvoline with high end Amsoil Dex 4 (I'm not an Amsoil shill) and just replaced it again tonight after another 5,000 miles.

This time it drained out darkish and seemed to have more emulsified black stuff in it.

My question is, is this normal to have discolored fluid after such few miles or is my Borg Warner on it's way out? Considering it's only a quart and a half of fluid should I just do the transfer box with my oil changes?

·
Registered
77 Posts
This is just a guess but I have had older gear boxes (on VWs) that were very noisy and I just needed it to work for a while longer. Someone suggested I add a MoS2 Molybdenum di-sufide additive to the box. It was dark grey to black fine particles and it seems to adhere to all the interior surfaces. I'm not totally sure it helped much, might have been quieter, but the fluid then looked pretty much as you describe. So that could have been new fluid with a MoS2 additive??? Remember I'm just guessing here. Jon

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may be it. It kind of looked like hypoid gear oil mixed in with the red atf. I'm going to do another change in a few hundred miles to see what it looks like.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts