RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I search for a Rover v8 on car part I see the following 3 options for both 4.0 engines:
low emissions, (VIN 5, 7th digit)
standard emissions, (VIN 2, 7th digit), secondary air injection
standard emissions, (VIN 2, 7th digit), w/o secondary air injection

For 4.6 engines there are:
low emissions, (VIN 6, 7th digit)
standard emissions, (VIN 4, 7th digit), Canada market, secondary air injection
standard emissions, (VIN 4, 7th digit), Canada market, w/o secondary air injection
standard emissions, (VIN 4, 7th digit), US market, secondary air injection
standard emissions, (VIN 4, 7th digit), US market, w/o secondary air injection

I get the difference between engines with and without Secondary air injection. What are the mechanical differences between the low emissions and standard emissions engines, if there are any? May be compression ratio? Or is the difference in different exhaust and ECU calibration?

·
Super Moderator
2,313 Posts
Not sure wherre you got your info from but the 7th digit of the VIN tells you it is a P38 (or others). The 8th digit gives more detail on the engine emissions, whether it is high or low compression, with or without cats. See http://www.expeditiongear.co.za/cu5/Decoding-your-Land-Rover-VIN-Number.aspx. There are also a number of different firmware versions in the GEMS (and I assume Thor too) engine ECU to deal with the different hardware. Only NAS models had SAI.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Not sure wherre you got your info from but the 7th digit of the VIN tells you it is a P38 (or others). The 8th digit gives more detail on the engine emissions, whether it is high or low compression, with or without cats. See http://www.expeditiongear.co.za/cu5/Decoding-your-Land-Rover-VIN-Number.aspx. There are also a number of different firmware versions in the GEMS (and I assume Thor too) engine ECU to deal with the different hardware. Only NAS models had SAI.
Checked mine with your VIN check thingy, engine and gearbox both wrong.. for my P38, with the Disco only the gearbox is wrong..

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. Looks like the only options that can be read from the VIN are:
- High Compression vs Low Compression
- Cats vs no Cats (NAS P38 should always have Cats, I presume)

The NAS trucks are different from ROW some have Secondary air some don't. All NAS trucks have after-cat O2 sensors. I am wondering if there are other engine variations within NAS? I am looking at swapping a P38 4.6 Bosch engine into an 03 Disco II which came with 4.6 from the factory. The last engines that went into Discos were quite problematic, looking to swap in an engine from a P38.

What are the differences? Oil pan may be? Or should I expect a direct bolt-on?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts