Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so... after searching through the forum, and the rest of the interwebs, and holding out on posting this until I needed some help on the next step, here it is --

problem: p38 dieseling / won't shutdown, keeps running / can remove key and drive forever, no problem

variables:

- I've noticed if i cause a sudden jarring, such as slamming a door or moving the car slightly, pressing on the brakes and quickly putting it in park, the car will finally shut off.
- the problem appears to be getting worse
- the car feels/sounds to be idling higher, but instrument cluster shows nothing unusual
- ** i've noticed that sometimes when i get it to shutdown by slamming a door, occassionally the gear selector will remain lit up -- and if i leave it in thiss state, and come back a few min later, both sides of selector (high and low gears) will be illuminated.. (I feel like this is more significant than the others)

things i've tried:

- 2 diff bottles of fuel cleaner in tank, 2 seperate times
- using higher octane fuel
- adjusting idle (worked for 2 shutdowns, has not since)

i've stopped short of anything costly in hopes of getting an outside, more educated (and free!) opinion.

my (currently lingering) questions:

- i believe this problem began after an oil change from 10w40 to 5w30... is there anyway that oil weight/viscosity can be a factor, given the temps in SE Louisiana ?
- should i test/check: spark plugs? fuel injectors? fuel pump? .... and if so, how? (n00b)
- try some seafoam?

thanks in advance, if even just for reading this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.