Range Rovers Forum banner

Diesel or Supercharged?

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  kgd 
#1 ·
Hello All,

I’m looking to get a 18’ diesel HSE, it’s got good options, but wanted to get the opinion of Diesel owners about this truck, I had a Cayenne Diesel with some vibration on my steering wheel from the Diesel engine, nothing crazy but It was something I couldn’t tolerate, the RRS seems very quiet at idle but wanted to get some opinion, the asking price is $73,900 with 4K miles and this are list of options.

Thanks all for any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Can’t comment on the diiesel; 16 SCV8, 109,000km. Engine is amazing. Bomb proof. Smooth, progressively powerful in an endless way. After 90,000km rest of the car starts to feel aged. Some transmission whine here, bit more belt Component whine there. Components can’t keep up over time with the engine. You start to see that this is a bunch of 100,000km parts afixed to a wonderful 300,000km engine. The charade starts to fall apart. I lost count of the amount of parts replaced under warranty. Lovely, lovely drive from new, but would not buy again. I have seen through the Veneer. I can only be fooled once. She (regrettably) goes in September. German Engineering from here on in. Do it if you have never done it before. Make sure you exit the ride before the warranty runs out. A classic, wonderful, bitter sweet exiperience never to be repeated. loved it, but feel lucky to get out financially unscarred.

#4 ·
I've got over 20,000 on my 2018 Diesel HSE RRS and love the thing. Milage is amazing, frequently 30mpg on the highway with a lot of take off and passing power. Look at the supercharged 0-60 time vs the TD6 - not a huge difference. I think the diesel is worth the hit in 0-60 for the engine durability, reliability and MPG. I don't notice any "shake" on mine.

#5 ·
Thank you all for the info, I have a 16HsE it’s been great, no issues at 48k miles, I couldn’t tell any vibration from the Diesel, price is good, color combo and options are good too, but compared to the supercharged I was mouth open lol I love the sound of that engine, big dilema

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Hello all, I bought into the RR family because I was initially looking for a diesel SUV that really had off road capabilities, so my options were limited to Jeep and LRRR. I previously had a VW Touareg TDi, but VW bought that one back. It was an amazing vehicle, and the mileage was awesome where it consistently got 24-26mpg.

I came across a 2015 RR SC with low miles and was lured by the option list, so I bought it. If you're a car person, as others mentioned, the exhaust note and power is intoxicating. Therefore, if you want a diesel, it might not serve you well to test out a SC version, because you may never look back.

That said, the mileage for the SC version is 15mpg at best around town, and 20mpg on long trips. I'm starting to think looking into a diesel for my second RR would be a good option. They are quiet for diesel engines, and I didn't notice any shaking in the few test drives I've taken.

If you desire better gas mileage, get a diesel, if you want the thrill, the SC serves it up in spades.

#8 ·
If you say supercharged, and you mean the V8, then mileage/consumption shouldn't really matter.

If you want V8 torque but better mileage for your money then get the diesel.

BTW there shouldn't be that much vibration from the Cayenne diesel either... I have friends with VW/Audi/Porsche diesels in various V6, V8, V10, W12 all are pretty smooth.

#9 ·
I have a 17’ TD6 RRS HSE diesel. I love it, mileage is great. I pull a small camper with it, never feel any drag or pull with it. Only thing is there is a slight delay when I put my foot down on the accelerator pedal, A couple of seconds. happens with or without trailer. When it kicks in it takes off like a rocket, but I think this is a diesel thing, my Dodge Ram truck does the same thing. But I can pull this camper over high mountain passes and fly by rv’s with big trucks.

I did have one problem with the DEF indicator, it kept resetting to indicating too low of DEF and threatened to shut down in 240 whatever miles. Turned out there was a bulletin on it. But land rover roadside assistance towed it from 200 miles away from the nearest dealership and back with no problem.

The DEF refill is a pain, because the fill spout is small and the air does not vent it very well so it tends to back splash all over. The factory bottles do work good, they screw down and the spring mechanism is handy. But you need 4 bottles to refill, and the plastic garbage becomes a bit much. However, I now go to a truck stop and refill from the pump, and I have a little funnel and can control the flow enough so that it does not spill all over. This is a crappy design on land rovers part. Needs a bigger fill spout.

I’m generally very satisfied with this car, I love it.

#10 ·
Found this in a rrs.net forum post,

OneStepAhead said:
Original Post

I don't think I could do it. V8 petrol can do 0-60 in under 5 seconds (rated 5.1, actual 4.5), the v8 diesel I believe is rated 6.5 seconds. For me, the most important factor of an engine is the 0-60 time :smile:
The 3.0L v6 is an abysmal 7.4 seconds. There is just no way I could ever justify spending 90-100k on a vehicle that slow. I'd shell out the extra 10k and get the v8 petrol every time.
The day the diesel offerings are faster is the day I switch to diesel.

I wad thinking The same thing: The 5.0L is a beast, must be the v6sc

#12 ·
I bought into the RR family looking for a diesel coming off of a Touareg TDi that was bought back by VW, since LRRR and Jeep were the only two options with diesel motors and real off road abilities. I ended up finding a well maintained 2015 RR SC V8 in the color combo I wanted, and ended up going with that over the diesel.

The motor and sound are intoxicating, and the drive is amazing on the vehicle, but the gas mileage is as expected. I always think I should trade it in for a diesel, so would be curious of current diesel owners if you've driven the SC V8 what your thoughts are on the two when comparing driving capabilities and feel and not mpg :)

#13 ·
I have a 2016 Diesel and it is great. I do tow a boat with it which is around 6,000 pounds fully loaded and it tows just as well as my prior GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.2 liter V8. I don’t notice any vibration or noise from the engine. As far as performance goes it is not going to be the same as the SCV8 but I have never thought I needed more power getting on a freeway or leaving a stop light. It really depends on what you are looking for. If sub 5 second 0-60 or the sound of a V8 is what you want then the diesel is not going to make you happy. If the performance of the diesel meets your needs then this could be great for you. Knock on wood hoping I don’t have issues with reliability that some others have had. So far the only issue was when new they did not get the retaining clip on a hose at the factory and it popped off on a trip and I lost most of my coolant. Luckily I was able to figure it out and the 4” hose that popped off was somehow sitting on the very edge of the belly pan under the engine. Was late at night and I still can’t believe I found it with the flashlight from my iPhone. Was in the middle of nowhere with only one very small gas station so I had to add non-RR antifreeze. Had them flush the system and put in new antifreeze once I got home. The service department did say they would have to check with someone to see if they would cover replacing the antifreeze which I could not believe. They should have bent over backward to accommodate me after someone in their factory didn’t do their job right which could have resulted in serious damage to the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.