RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am thinking of returning to Range Rover ownership after a two year absence :D , but this time going the diesel route. We do a lot of motorway miles, so what sort of mpg can I expect if I fix the vacuum pipes and have the cruise control set to 70 ? It will be auto, two passengers, light luggage. Also on the latter models are the water pumps the steel impeller type, rather than the plastic exploding type? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Mine used to do about 26-28mpg under those conditions.
Not sure if it was chipped or not.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,439 Posts
I also get around 28 mpg on a long motorway run with my chipped DSE.
I have a full bullbar, winch and large spot lights on the front which causes extra drag. I estimate this drops it by 1 to 2 mpg.

:)

·
Registered
448 Posts
on motorway sitting at 70 with a road based tyres on was 30/31 but now with general grabbers AT2 on down to 28
Tony

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Lack of detail from me I think, I had At2 tyres but no bull bar, rack or other accoutrements.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have you thought of the LPG option?

I get the equivalent of 31.5 mpg in general driving conditions (based on buying LPG at 50p/litre compared to unleaded at 104.9/litre). On a long motorway run, I'm getting the equivalent of 36-38mpg. The conversion was done 70k miles ago and there have been no problems or other costs other than an annual LPG service to change filters for £45.

The other advantage is that you can actually accellerate on a cold morning.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I tend to get around 25-26. 2.5 DT manual but with 245 section BFG All Terrains. I am seriously thinking about buying a set of more road biased tyres!

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Zebedee said:
Have you thought of the LPG option?

I get the equivalent of 31.5 mpg in general driving conditions (based on buying LPG at 50p/litre compared to unleaded at 104.9/litre). On a long motorway run, I'm getting the equivalent of 36-38mpg. The conversion was done 70k miles ago and there have been no problems or other costs other than an annual LPG service to change filters for £45.

The other advantage is that you can actually accellerate on a cold morning.
With lpg, you can't carry a spare without much hassle and the short range due to a small tank can mean frequent fill ups.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i can get 31 out off my chipped dse with half a tank of juice on and 3 pacs about 27-28 on a full tank and 3 pacs at 70 on cruise

·
Registered
181 Posts
with my p38 diesel manual i could get around 28-30 mpg on a good long run, when giving it some stick i could generally only manage 15-20

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine is a Diesel Auto, road biased tyres and nothing bolted on outside.
With A/C working hard it goes down to about 28MPG, without A/C I am very disappointed to get less than 30.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts