RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help i have a diesel leak which is driving me mad as i cant find it when the cars ticking over on the drive way!

If i do a long run and pop the bonnet there is a strong smell of diesel on closer inspection the top of the oil filter and the metal fuel lines are wet im not losing lots of diesel as the economy is not suffering for it!

I recently changed the leak off pipes between the injectors and the pipe that goes back to the pump to rule them out but still it persists!

So i guess now its either a tiny whole in one of the metal injector pipes that i just cant see or the fuel return to the tank if thats what it is!

Underneath the inlet manifold and coming off the back of the pump where the leak off pipe plugs into is a small plastic pipe and it goes into a bigger piece of pipe then back to small so asume thats the fuel return line i may stand corrected! but that always looks to be wet!

If anyone has had similar or can offer some advice to a novice it would be appreciated!

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am not near the car now so I can't check but a tip is chalk, or even easier throw talcum powder around, do a short run and have a look where that is wet.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
933 Posts
cornish p38 said:
Help i have a diesel leak which is driving me mad as i cant find it when the cars ticking over on the drive way!

If i do a long run and pop the bonnet there is a strong smell of diesel on closer inspection the top of the oil filter and the metal fuel lines are wet im not losing lots of diesel as the economy is not suffering for it!

I recently changed the leak off pipes between the injectors and the pipe that goes back to the pump to rule them out but still it persists!

So i guess now its either a tiny whole in one of the metal injector pipes that i just cant see or the fuel return to the tank if thats what it is!

Underneath the inlet manifold and coming off the back of the pump where the leak off pipe plugs into is a small plastic pipe and it goes into a bigger piece of pipe then back to small so asume thats the fuel return line i may stand corrected! but that always looks to be wet!

If anyone has had similar or can offer some advice to a novice it would be appreciated!
I haven't had exactly the same, I had one of seals go in my FIP which pissed diesel everywhere until the engine warmed up. Eventually it got so bad it didn't seal when the engine warmed and I had spots of diesel all over the tailgate - enough of the doom story though!

I think you are possibly on the right track with that fuel return pipe (Im also not sure exactly what pipe that is but it makes sense). It sounds exactly the same as mine small pipe into a larger one and back again. I can definitely say that it shouldn't always look wet though and if it does I would start looking there. If that turns out to be ok have you tried inspecting the pump where the injector lines exit? Just wondering whether you might have a leak from somewhere there spraying back onto the oil filter and pipes.

Keep us updated and try the talcum powder idea if you get really stuck!

-Will :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts