RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a P38 as a non runner and after checking a few things out I suspect the feul injection pump is the problem. If anyone has experience with these injection pumps their help would be most appreciated. The pump is a Bosch fitted to 1996 2.5 BMW engine.

The Problem - the car did not want to start! I have checked that fuel is getting to the injection pump and it is! There is however no fuel coming out of the injection pump to the injectors. I tested the solinoid fuel shut off switch on the injection pump and it is working properly. Does this suggest to people that there is a fault within the injection pump or could there be another explanation? I have been checking out the prices of injection pumps and they expensive!

Would like to be sure it is the pump before taking it off for repair or replacement.

Ian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before you splash out lots of penny's check that the alarm is not out of sink. You may need to fined someone with a sinkmate
Tony
Hi, thanks for your reply, and excuse my ignorance if its obvious. Can the injection pumps full operation be stopped by the systems alarm being out of sink when the injection pump itself is being fed pumped fuel and its solinoid fuel shut off valve is opening? If so, how does it do this?

Ian

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

If the ECU is out of synch with the BECM the engine will not cranck and message center will display engine imobilized message.

It is possible that there is a sensor failure and the ecu is not making the right control decisions.
connecting the car to a diagnostic computer might reveal error messages logged.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi

If the ECU is out of synch with the BECM the engine will not cranck and message center will display engine imobilized message.

It is possible that there is a sensor failure and the ecu is not making the right control decisions.
connecting the car to a diagnostic computer might reveal error messages logged.

Regards

Jos

Hi Jos,
the car is cranking and all necessary components as far as I can measure seem to be activating properly to allow the car to start apart from no feul being delivered by the injection pump to the injectors, this despite the pump shut off solinoid also operating properly and the injection pump having fuel delivered to it satisfactorily. No messages of faults appearing on dash either.

It would help me if I new what some of the connections on the pump are for, I don't have a handbook, but have one ordered. The pump is exactly the same as this one which was on Ebay- http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=280844591116&nma=true&rt=nc&si=ydBSGDBHbeO/B2exAwUygokA5SQ=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

On the bottom there is wiring I assume is the throttle? On the side there is a 4 bolt mounted black unit with wiring to a plug that goes to the wiring consol under the glowplugs, I would like to know what this is for? Could any of these two components stop the injector pump from issueing fuel to the injectors? Any tests I could carry out myself (ps-multimeter is as suffisticated as I can get).

Ian

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

To understand how the system works, download the RAVE pdf file.
See FAQ how.

In the pdf file you will find the workshop manual with the chapters for the 2.5 Diesel engine.
In chapter 19 you will find all the information about the system see sample below:

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi again

Few more shots from RAVE. As you can see all possible information is there.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Jos,
many thanks for that. Its a little clearer where the problem might be.

Malfuctions: "Where the servo unit poetensiometer or servo unit fails the injection system will be deactivated. The engine shuts down as a result"?

Unless the FIP is not mechanically being driven by the timing chain (which I think is very inlikley) then it seems that the above malfunction could be responsible for no fuel at the injectors. What they don't say is how the injection system is deactivated and what exactly is an Engine Shut Down and how would I know there is an Engine Shut Down?

With the problem I have there does'nt appear to be what I would call an Engine Shut Down - electrics are still all working , tank pump pumping fuel ok, FIP Shut Off Solinoid being activated to open as it should, cranking uninterupted, no fualt messages on the dash!?

It would seem that the Servo Unit is faulty, or perhaps not getting correct signal to operate it properly, but then why would the engine otherwise be wanting to start when it should be in Engine shut Down?

Ian

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi,
Check the top cover of the pump. It 's attached with 4 bolts & the left most one is triangular shape. If these were disturbed the engine may not start. Since this was parts car someone would have messed up with it or the internal actuator may be broken or not set correctly. (wrong alignment of top cover)

good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,

Check the top cover of the pump. It 's attached with 4 bolts & the left most one is triangular shape. If these were disturbed the engine may not start. Since this was parts car someone would have messed up with it or the internal actuator may be broken or not set correctly. (wrong alignment of top cover)

good luck.
Thanks kapilamuni,

Hi, I can guarantee myself the pump has not been messed with or indeed anything else, the previous owner told me the car was not interfered with, I know then quite well so they would be unlikely to say this if it were'nt true. Information from them was that it just would not start one morning, although running perfectly well the day before. They decided to sell as is because over the years they had had a lot of expence with the car and enough was enough.

I'm tempted to open the top cover to see if anything is obvious, but not sure if opening cauases any problems without knowing exactly what I'm doing? Is it safe to open it and what might I need to know before doing so?

Ian

·
Registered
448 Posts
the pump will still be fed fuel when the alarm is out of sink been there spent 5 days going through it stop valve open fuel getting to the FIP no start got it checked at local garage alarm out of sink got reset at dealers and it started on first crank but that was mine you may have a different problem
Tony

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the pump will still be fed fuel when the alarm is out of sink been there spent 5 days going through it stop valve open fuel getting to the FIP no start got it checked at local garage alarm out of sink got reset at dealers and it started on first crank but that was mine you may have a different problem
Tony
Thanks Tony, I also saw a thread on landyzone forum which covered the same symptoms, and a re-sync did the trick. I'm going to try this before I do anything else. From what I've read this is a relatively common problem. hope this will be mine, as I was not looking to much forward to dismantling the FIP or buying a replacement.
I noticed a Sync box is available from black box solutions for a about £120, this is probably won't be far off what the dealer charges? Sounds reasonable to get one. Or if I can find one to borrow. Is there anybody watching with one in the Aberdeen (Scotland) area?

Ian

·
Registered
950 Posts
If u r so sure about the pump , better try the re-sync first, as suggested by Tony.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi all, I recieved my syncmate toady, used it, and success - the car fired up! Whoo. I would like to thanks everbody for their help. Its suggested that the cause of the car initially going out of sync may be a faulty rf box. I'll be looking in to this, may be back on here looking for some more advise on the matter later.
Ian

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I have recently purchased a P38 as a non runner and after checking a few things out I suspect the feul injection pump is the problem. If anyone has experience with these injection pumps their help would be most appreciated. The pump is a Bosch fitted to 1996 2.5 BMW engine.

The Problem - the car did not want to start! I have checked that fuel is getting to the injection pump and it is! There is however no fuel coming out of the injection pump to the injectors. I tested the solinoid fuel shut off switch on the injection pump and it is working properly. Does this suggest to people that there is a fault within the injection pump or could there be another explanation? I have been checking out the prices of injection pumps and they expensive!

Would like to be sure it is the pump before taking it off for repair or replacement.

Ian
hello, when the engine can be cold it starts excellent as soon as the heater plug light dissapear, but when the engine is hot as well as the heater plug light doesn’t come on it take a tad off cranking over prior to it starts, m has a single had this problem. Frequent fault, the injector pump motor is worn. There are several fixes, first is to offer the pump rebuilt. Second is usually to connect a coolant temp sensor towards plug but not mess it in, third is are set arrangement which powers the in tank pump and glows each time you key on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts