RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

If a glow plug is burnt, will the message centre indicate that?
If not , how can I know whether all glow plugs are in good health?

Regds

kapila
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
448 Posts
if she starts to be a bad starter turning over a lot before she fires when cold most likely be glow plugs there will be no warning it will just take longer and longer as one fails then the next one
Tony
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
No message came up on my DSE when the glowplugs were playing up.
If you do suspect the glowplugs change all of them. They are cheap.

Dave
:)
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dave3d said:
No message came up on my DSE when the glowplugs were playing up.
If you do suspect the glowplugs change all of them. They are cheap.

Dave
:)

Thanks guys.
For me, they are not cheap each @14.00 GBP (20 USD).
Any way, I 'll check them without removing much. There was an article in the forum about how t check these.

regds

kapila
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
Don't go to the L/R stealer.
You can buy a set of 6 new glowplugs for less than £25 on Ebay UK - they will be aftermarket BMW.
Don't know how much the postage to Columbo. Maybe someone can bring them back for you in their luggage.

Dave
:)
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave.
That's real cheap. Have u tried them? what brand is it?
I 've heard that g/plugs from Ebay, are not reliable. :?:

regds :D

kapila
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
820 Posts
I always buy them from ebay. They do the job & you can get six for about £18

To check them, remove one at a time & connect it up to a 12v battery charger. If it works it will heat up quicky & glow orange. If it's failed nothing will happen.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
1,439 Posts
My replacement glowplugs have been in for a few years now and been OK. No brand name on them.

If you are having trouble starting, heat up the glowplugs twice in quick succession before you turn the engine over.
Engine then starts instantly.

My local indy had a theory that if more than 2 glowplugs are out something built into the circuitry stops the pre heater working. In other words the system tolerates 1 or 2 being out. Don't know whether this is bulls**t.

Dave
:)
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dave3d said:
My replacement glowplugs have been in for a few years now and been OK. No brand name on them.

If you are having trouble starting, heat up the glowplugs twice in quick succession before you turn the engine over.
Engine then starts instantly.

My local indy had a theory that if more than 2 glowplugs are out something built into the circuitry stops the pre heater working. In other words the system tolerates 1 or 2 being out. Don't know whether this is bulls**t.

Dave
:)
Hi Dave,
That's what I'm doing at present to get her started,
I'll change the g/plugs & see.

best regds
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Kapila,

There's one more thing. Is this issue at cold start or hot start?

The diesel P38's have a hot start issue. i.e if the engine is hot it takes longer to start than when it's cold.
I had this issue and used a fix found on ebay. A small circuit box with some timers in it.

And my glow plugs are gone too. I think only one or two is working. Cos when the engine is cold in the morning
i have to spend like 5-10 minutes trying to start her up. I too bought glow plugs from ebay and will be changing them when
the repairs are being carried out.

Regards,
Gayan
 

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
gunemalli said:
Kapila,

There's one more thing. Is this issue at cold start or hot start?

The diesel P38's have a hot start issue. i.e if the engine is hot it takes longer to start than when it's cold.
I had this issue and used a fix found on ebay. A small circuit box with some timers in it.

And my glow plugs are gone too. I think only one or two is working. Cos when the engine is cold in the morning
i have to spend like 5-10 minutes trying to start her up. I too bought glow plugs from ebay and will be changing them when
the repairs are being carried out.

Regards,
Gayan
Hi Gayan:

Have the part arrived yet from the UK for the repairs to the car?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Hi Richard,

The parts didn't arrive yet. The ship was supposed to come to ports yesterday and if it had, then the parts would be available for clearance within this week.

Then its off to repairs. Hope everything could be put back together in a months time.

Thanks Rich for asking about it.
 

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
Joined
·
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gunemalli said:
Kapila,

There's one more thing. Is this issue at cold start or hot start?

The diesel P38's have a hot start issue. i.e if the engine is hot it takes longer to start than when it's cold.
I had this issue and used a fix found on ebay. A small circuit box with some timers in it.

And my glow plugs are gone too. I think only one or two is working. Cos when the engine is cold in the morning
i have to spend like 5-10 minutes trying to start her up. I too bought glow plugs from ebay and will be changing them when
the repairs are being carried out.

Regards,
Gayan

Hi Gayan,

It's like that hot or cold. I've already fixed that hot start issue.
I've ordered 6 g/plugs from Rimmer Bros & yet to receive .
BTW, what's wrong with yr Rangie?

regds

kapila
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top