RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, can anybody help? I have a 99 2.5 diesel and have just changed the fuel filter. At first I didn’t fill the new one up, wouldn’t start, took it back off, filled it and it ran for maybe a minute then cut out. Any ideas anyone. Thanks Frank.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,378 Posts
I have only just recently had the same problem this week. I decided to give the car a full service while we are all stuck here in isolation.
I should have known better, having had the car for 18 years, but I also forgot to fill the new fuel filter with diesel before fitting it.
It eventually spluttered into life by cranking it for a long long time. Like 2 or 3 minutes, so your battery needs to be good.
If you still have problems check the clear pipe from the filter to the fuel injection pump. It should be full with no air bubbles. If neccessary slacken the banjo off at the FIP and run it into a jug while someone else cranks it. If you have got fuel to the FIP, next slacken a union in in one of pipes to the injectors on the engine. It should squirt out diesel when it is cranked. Nip up the union again once diesel squirts out. You may need to do each injector in turn, but usually once the engine starts to splutter on one or two it will get the others going.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi everyone, can anybody help? I have a 99 2.5 diesel and have just changed the fuel filter. At first I didn’t fill the new one up, wouldn’t start, took it back off, filled it and it ran for maybe a minute then cut out. Any ideas anyone. Thanks Frank.
Hi Dave thanks for replying. Yes I can see air in the clear pipe from the filter to the FIP. Could you just explain how I slacken the banjo thing as I’ve not done this before. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Instead of trying to start the car or messing with a full filter, just run the fuel pump by bridging the relay. That will fill the filter and flush the air out, allowing for an easier start.

Filip

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Filip, thanks for the reply, I’ve done this, but for some strange reason the fuel pump seems to have packed in at the same time, no fuel comes out when ignition switched on. So am going to take the pump out today and investigate.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Have you tried with a direct feed via the fusebox or only via ignition? Also check the inertia switch, it's in the loom between the fuel pump relay and the pump itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, couldn’t get a peep out of it with a direct feed, have ordered another pump off eBay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts