RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had filled up my new Td6 twice with no issues. Today, however, I drove past a different fuel station and found that their diesel pump did not fit. I then went to another station and it too did not fit! I happened to be driving past the original location and filled up there, but I'm rather worried that I may find myself roaming around looking for a pump that works.

Has anyone else had this experience?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reading up online it seems that it's not a requirement that the diesel pump be fitted with the proper nozzle. Hopefully this isn't a widespread issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dispenser#Nozzles

Strangely, diesel pump nozzles are supposed to be larger, however the one that didn't work seemed to be larger than the one that does fit.. not that I can compare them side-by-side.

·
Banned
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
3,952 Posts
No idea about in Canada but in the UK where there are far more diesel cars than over there, diesel pumps have a standard size nozzle. Unless, that is, you go to the pump at the side of the forecourt where they expect the trucks to go, then you'll find a much bigger nozzle, which won't fit a car, to dump 1,000 litres a go into the truck tanks.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Ive had the same issue. I have two gas stations by my house and one of them has the same nozzle as gas nozzle which is very annoying! The other gas station has the correct nozzle for the diesel. But this would be hassle having to hop from gas station to gas station just because nozzle wont fit. I am glad our vehicles have the system to prevent mistakenly putting gas in diesel since I do have a diesel and gasoline in the house.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
906 Posts
IMG_20150928_140347.jpg

I believe this is the picture from the other thread.

I prefer to call them Nozzles and Dispensers and not pumps because well they are not pumps. :) But I get it.

From left to right.

Gasoline with Vapor
Diesel/Leaded
Gasoline/Unleaded
High Speed Diesel
High Speed Diesel.

Not sure what is going on in Canada but the Diesel/Leaded nozzle is what I see around hear. The material construction is the same between those 2 similar gas and diesel nozzles so perhaps the station owner used the wrong nozzle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One was an Esso station, which don't typically carry diesel though this one does. Another was a Shell station. Petro-Canada was the station that did have a fitting nozzle. I'll have to try another Shell station to see if it's a common problem or not.

My bigger fear is when I travel to the interior where the options are much more sparse.

·
Registered
274 Posts
One was an Esso station, which don't typically carry diesel though this one does. Another was a Shell station. Petro-Canada was the station that did have a fitting nozzle. I'll have to try another Shell station to see if it's a common problem or not.

My bigger fear is when I travel to the interior where the options are much more sparse.
They did/do make plastic nozzle adapters that were for filling older cars with the larger leaded gas nozzle. You can probably find one online for emergency use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank cgs. This does seem like a necessary accessory.. even with the diesel I can imagine finding myself out of range of any other service station when out in the back woods of British Columbia.

·
Banned
363 Posts

You'd think with all the diesel pickup trucks around the interior that wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks cgs...that adapter sounds like it's necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts