RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post but have used you guys a few times and you have been spot on so far, I'm trying to change my radiator and have watched some videos and read some posts, but all the videos start with the shroud removed, I have been at this all day and still can not get the shroud off to get access to fan, the shroud is to big to slide past the fan so what am I doing wrong, everything is unscrewed, unclipped ready to go, but still shroud wont budge, I have a 2.5 dse 1999.

Any and all help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
235 Posts
From what I remember, the fan has to be removed, but I am sure I have never managed to do that, neither when I changed my Rad nor when I replaced the thermostats on both DSE and DHSE, so must have got the Rad out without the shroud, though I was playing by ear and cannot remember how I did it. Now I can't stand without holding on, long enough to even look under the bonnet. Sorry I can't be much help to you, but I'm sure I did replace it with shroud in situ, though with a lot of struggling, if any thing comes back to mind (that's going also), I will get back. It is worth getting the correct BMW fan coupling tools £20ish for ebay, I have them now, but since doing the job without, so not used them.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,333 Posts
The fan and shroud are removed together as per Rave. Unclip the shroud at the top and try and get the special 32mm viscous fan spanner onto the nut in the centre of the fan through the gap.
It unscrews clockwise (left to right). The spanner may need a few blows with a hammer and you need to jam the water pump bolts with a screw driver or something to stop it rotating. Guaranteed to skin your knuckles.

To make access easier in future, I modified my shroud with a bandsaw so it is in two pieces. The top part now unclips and leaves the bottom in place. I also bought a 32mm ring spanner.

·
Registered
758 Posts
As Dave says, a few good whacks and it should let go, the spanner and bolt holder are about a tenner on eBay, but to be honest I find just hitting the spanner is enough to shock it, as also mentioned, diesel fans are threaded the wrong way,
once the fans out the way, it’s easy with a little fettling to get the shroud off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
When I was replacing the fan only I removed the plastic cover above the belt. I loosened the rubber mounts for the radiator assembly. Removed the left side radiator hose from the radiator. Unclipped the two clips for the cowling. Unscrewed the fan.
By pressing the radiator assembly forwards and the cowling against the engine I wiggled the fan out upwards between radiator and cowling.

Now, later I also took out the radiator and it slides right up after unscrewing the two lower M8 screws. I no longer have fan or cowling in place so I might be mistaken but should it not be possible to just unclip the fan cowl from the radiator, remove the three hoses and then pull the rad up?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts