RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My DSE , when started in the morning ( or rather first time in a day) fires up & dies immediately.
If I press the gas pedal mmentarily it'll run fine.
Recently I changed all 6 Glow plugs. I also get the message 'fuse 10 blown' which I ignore as I dont have electric seats.

pls help

thnks & regds

kapila

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Sounds like you have air in the fuel system.
Look for bubbles in the transparent line between filter and injection pump and/or leakage on the return lines of the injectors.

As a test, let the engine preglow 2-3 times with the accelerator fully pressed, then start normally (without extra pedal). Worked for me when the no-return valve of the fuel pump started leaking, solved the problem permanently by fitting an extra valve between tank and filter.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Escape said:
Sounds like you have air in the fuel system.
Look for bubbles in the transparent line between filter and injection pump and/or leakage on the return lines of the injectors.

As a test, let the engine preglow 2-3 times with the accelerator fully pressed, then start normally (without extra pedal). Worked for me when the no-return valve of the fuel pump started leaking, solved the problem permanently by fitting an extra valve between tank and filter.

Greetz,

Filip
Hi,
Thanks. I have a permanent issue with the intank pump which is NOt working ( i assume). Despite that all these months it started fine. It always have a buble ( only one) in the line tank to filter, but did not give any trouble.
I thought it;'s the accelerator - drive by wire issue.

regds

·
Registered
933 Posts
If the in-tank pump isn't working at all you would know it, the pick up and acceleration is non-existent when it dies. Im not sure you would even be able to start without the in-tank pump working.

I am thinking you knocked/disturbed the leak off pipes between each injector (or the long one back to the pump) when doing your glow plugs. Have you ever replaced these??

Are you getting the injector warning light come on at all?? What level is the fuel at when you are having these problems??

-Will :)

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
About amonth ago I changed the g/plugs & it was fine.therafter.

I don't get any messages or indicater lights.The fuel level is around 1/4 of tank.
I had a issue about 6 months ago. After I changed the diesel filter I could not det it started. On checking I found that fuel was not coming from tank to filter. Then I checked the pump relay which was ok.I couldn;t hear pump woking when [email protected]
sO I got a can full of diesel & gave a connection to filter input & kept the can above engine level. After few cranks engine started. Then I ran it until can exhausted and reconected the original tank line to filter. Then it started without a problem.
Since then I have that bubble before the filter line. Thta's why I guess the tank pump not working or working intermitantly.
I have slight slugishness at speeds but no real issues until now.
I guess that injector pump has it's own pressure pump which helps to suck diesel from the tank.
Anyway this is the system in my diesel TOYOTA car, which doesn't have an intank/external pump other than the filter.

regds

kapila

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

I have the same issue, and my tank pump don´t work either... I unplugged the pipe that goes to the Injector Pump and not even a drop... It's the Injector Pump that pulls the diesel from the tank.. It's something that I have to solve next month :)

Regards,

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had similar but not identical - I had very slow starting (long cranking) when the tank was less than half full. That was a new pump to sort it.

For what effort it takes fill the tank and keep it 3/4 plus for a while, see if the problem is still there?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
I really want to fit a new pump but it's a lengthy/hassle issue I don't want to touch.

regds

·
Registered
483 Posts
kapilamuni said:
Hi,
I really want to fit a new pump but it's a lengthy/hassle issue I don't want to touch.

regds
It is a pain but not actually as bad as you may think. The hardest thing is making sure you have a good support for the tank.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi,

Yesterday I noticed spoonfull of diesel under the car & noted that it's wet under the Injector pump.
But no visual leak in any other place.
What could this be? Do I need to remove the pump to repair this?
pls help. :crybaby2:

regds

kapila

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

That is common to all diesel ones.. the Injector pump soon or later starts to lose diesel by the o rings.. It's time to change them.

Today i tested my in tank pump, just take out the cover from the relay and active the pump directly... not even a little noise... just dead...

It´s time to order one... :(

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SERSAN said:
Hi,

That is common to all diesel ones.. the Injector pump soon or later starts to lose diesel by the o rings.. It's time to change them.

Today i tested my in tank pump, just take out the cover from the relay and active the pump directly... not even a little noise... just dead...

It´s time to order one... :(
How do u change the O-rings etc?
It's not DIY , isn't it?

REgds

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

No, it isn't..
Try to find a diesel shop in your area that are used to work with bosch injector pumps (Here we do have bosch workshops, mine was done on one of those)
Regards,

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SERSAN said:
Hi,

No, it isn't..
Try to find a diesel shop in your area that are used to work with bosch injector pumps (Here we do have bosch workshops, mine was done on one of those)
Regards,
Hi,

How much did it cost u?
Did u remove the inj pump to the shop or u took vehicle to them?

regds

kapila

1 - 14 of 14 Posts