RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doh!!!! for about 3 weeks or a month, the EAS has been behaving badly on a consistent basis. It's been acting like the main air tank has been draining off when parked. When I'd get in and start it, even though it looked like it was at the right height, it was needing to make a small adjustment, and it was taking many minutes. Which, of course, if the main tank had air, it would happily do in a few seconds.

But not this week. It was taking many minutes to make small adjustments, so I'm thinking "uh oh... I feel a hard fault coming on". So, long story short, since time is not available in large quantities right now, I got a rebuilt block from Dennis rather than trying to rebuild the block myself again, but it just arrived and I was going to put it in tomorrow. Thought I could milk it just one more day.

Nope.

EAS Fault
Slow 35 MPH max.

So, my plan today is rearrange my work schedule to allow me to
a) fashion a valve so that I can pump up with my shop compressor (not just now but any time).
b) scavenge my old OBD-II cable for the connector and build a serial cable
c) change valve block
and
d) unlock EAS with http://sourceforge.net/projects/easunlock/files/

I guess it's good to have a plan for the day, huh? It's like staying home from work with a sick child. :doh:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
at least you get to stay home from work...

You can use pigtails override to get in the air, so it won't be such a rush to get your cable made. It also sounds like you may have worn out your compressor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shupack said:
at least you get to stay home from work...

You can use pigtails override to get in the air, so it won't be such a rush to get your cable made. It also sounds like you may have worn out your compressor.
Agreed, I'm not ruling out a compressor issue. BUT, what I do know about the compressor is that it still turns on so it's not non-functional, and I replaced the pump seal about 6 month ago. Would it simply be the pump piston seal that's worn if this is the case?

Springs are Gen III's installed about a year ago, so I don't think they are the problem. It has been staying up and behaving as it should only until about 3 weeks ago.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
flamecycle said:
Springs are Gen III's installed about a year ago, so I don't think they are the problem. It has been staying up and behaving as it should only until about 3 weeks ago.

Oh and I'm not assuming that's a fact... I'll be breaking out the squirt bottle with soapy water....

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Dennis wins the prize...

while in the EAS box refreshing the valve block, I pulled the 4 screws on the pump... there's a *HUGE* gap between the teflon seal and the cylinder. yeah that's not going to pump well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I think the problem here is that my valve block was leaking off the pressure in the tank. That in turn wore out the pump seal.

The new valve block is in, so now when my new seal gets here I'll fix the pump, and when my EAS cable gets here, I'll clear the fault, and should be good as new.

·
Registered
95 Posts
So Sorry to hear about your EAS falure, it's so heart breaking when you hear the beep beep beep and your EAS goes into hard fault.

If you don't have one I'd get a V3 Buddy box. it's $200 some dollars, which in my opinion is well worth it. My dealer charges $100 just to clear the code!

The V3 not only clears your EAS Fault but it also connects to your computer and tells you the specific code which is causing the EAS Fault, which helps in troubble shooting.

check it out at http://www.rswsolutions.com/index_easbuddybox_v3.htm

good luck!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi, this is Big-T's wife, Little C. We also bought the V3 Buddy Box from Storey Wilson. What a life saver!! :dance: I was driving to work in winter (40ish below zero, :shock: here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada) and I hit a bump, (the seam between the road and a bridge) when our '01 4.6 HSE Range Rover threw a hissy fit. The EAS Fault-Max 35mph was displayed in the message center and the freaking alarm binging was going off. Nice. I wasn't really all that impressed. :doh: The darn truck sat in the garage for about 2 months untill we finally found the Buddy Box online and ordered one up. When it arrived we plugged it into the truck, let it do it's thing, and when it was done we hit the up-button and the truck went up. We then hit the down button, and the truck went down. We repeated this with growing expressions of dumbfoundedness on our faces. We plugged it into our computer and it said that the exaust valve was stuck open. It's so darn cold here that the darn thing froze open and wouldn't pressure up. So it was a free fix. (Except for the cost of the Buddy Box) Gotta love it. My husband Big-T now wants the thing you plug in that automatically rebuilds the diff from wheel to wheel. :dance: Wouldn't that be nice. Just have to wait for the Star Trek era I guess. What we need is Nano-Bots for Range Rovers. If you break something it automatically gets repaired instantly on the spot. :lol:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
I feel yr pain - I love the air ride on the p38...I also hate it :p
Yes many of us have a love-hate relationship with the oft temperamental EAS - Yes I've rebuilt my valve block with an excellent kit from Rover Renovations (forever grateful for the highly affordable kit and instructions from Dennis), I've replaced the bags (albeit with used yet good condition ones) and I've made my own cable for a laptop to talk to the EAS using the generous Mr. Wilson's EAS software suite. Yes I still have some work to do rebuilding the compressor etc but I decided to order the multi-mode M.A.R.S. kit from Carroll Rovers. I was going to just build my own version from air ride parts form a local hot rod shop but decided to go with the Carroll Rovers kit and not worry about the hassle of finding all the parts locally. Yes I can still work on my EAS and get it fixed up but at the same time drive it around with no worries of the EAS system deciding to hard fault and drop down to the bumpstops and setting me up for a guaranteed trip to the chiropractor after a less-than-smooth ride on our aging Washington freeways. Sure there's a drawback to the system: no continuously variable air ride height adjustments etc. However the piece of mind of having a backup to fill the system up to a drivable ride height in the event that something goes wrong (short of a blown bag/airline leak) really is nice.

Something to think about even if you decide to make your own version.

Viva Land Rover!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts