RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is kind of crazy. Sounds like it is extremely important to pull a carfax when buying a used rover and ask questions about what market it originated from. I bought a sight unseen '15 SVR and would never have thought to ask about the speedo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I asked my local JLR dealer about whether they could switch the speedometer dial to mph before I purchased the vehicle from a Cadillac dealer out of state. The local dealer said they could do it, but then they were unfortunately unable to program the speedometer dial when I brought the vehicle to them. Seems interesting that the RRS in the video has 1 extra option to change the speedometer dial in the menu and mine does not.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Telling you the GAP can solve your issues. Email the GAP support and explain your situation, if this can be done on a l405 it can be done on a l494 uses the same TFT.

And Canadian car is always a much better cheaper/better deal. I had a canadian C63 with the KM cluster and read out in MPH that was $10k cheaper than a USA car when I bought it. It was a qubec car. It was only 2-3 years old at the time and even the warranty in the USA was valid even though it was a CAD car. Only problem was that you couldn't get a Mercedes extended warranty on it for some reason.

I traded the car in at a porsche dealer for an M5 a year later, they didn't notice or realize at the time that it was a CAD car. Got a great trade value. They ended up sending back to auction for lower than they gave me on trade.

Canadian cars are usually more loaded too.

I would take a CAD car all day unless its a chrysler product. Those cars have the warranties void if they cross the border.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Telling you the GAP can solve your issues. Email the GAP support and explain your situation, if this can be done on a l405 it can be done on a l494 uses the same TFT.

And Canadian car is always a much better cheaper/better deal. I had a canadian C63 with the KM cluster and read out in MPH that was $10k cheaper than a USA car when I bought it. It was a qubec car. It was only 2-3 years old at the time and even the warranty in the USA was valid even though it was a CAD car. Only problem was that you couldn't get a Mercedes extended warranty on it for some reason.

I traded the car in at a porsche dealer for an M5 a year later, they didn't notice or realize at the time that it was a CAD car. Got a great trade value. They ended up sending back to auction for lower than they gave me on trade.

Canadian cars are usually more loaded too.

I would take a CAD car all day unless its a chrysler product. Those cars have the warranties void if they cross the border.
Just emailed GAP. I hope you’re correct, and I’ll follow up when I hear back. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking very promising! Here’s the message I just got back from GAP.

Hello John

Thank you for your interest.

This is done regularly with an IIDTool BT. I will give you a hand if you do purchase one.

Best Regards

Patrick Meilleur,
Bachelor of Engineering
GAP Diagnostic

On Apr 10, 2020, at 21:33, [email protected] wrote:
TechnicalInquiry
Name: John moncke
Model: XXX
Year: 2014
Engine: Petrol v8 SC
Inquiry: The community at rangerover.net sent me your way. I have a 2014 Range Rover Sport dynamic V8 supercharged from Canada, and I live in the USA. I asked my local JLR dealer about whether they could switch the speedometer dial to mph before I purchased the vehicle from a Cadillac dealer out of state. The local dealer said they could do it, but then they were unfortunately unable to program the speedometer dial when I brought the vehicle to them. Seems interesting that the RRS in the video has 1 extra option to change the speedometer dial in the menu and mine does not.
Can your tool help me change the speedometer dial from kph to mph? If so I’ll buy it!

·
Registered
337 Posts
:)

the tool can be found on sale and on the forums used where you can save a couple hundred dollars over buying brand new

·
Registered
18 Posts
I received the gap tool today, and I hope that their technical department will help get the new software loaded tomorrow.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very happy to confirm that my RRS now has MPH showing on the speedometer dial! To put it simply, you can change the virtual instrument cluster speedometer dial from kph to mph with the GAP tool on the l494. It was very easy to do this.

Thank you f10m5 for pointing me to GAP. I was searching for this solution because it was obviously just a software update, and what I was hearing from the JLR dealer simply made no sense.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Indeed! I just set a new lower suspension height. It’s a very useful tool to have in the collection.

·
Registered
200 Posts
WOW! Sharif! You dabom! And, you proved me and the dealer wrong. I guess all the BS they gave me about the TFT screen being tied to the car systems that run the blah blah blah was just that, BS. So happy for you!

Jose

·
Registered
18 Posts
My local dealer told me the same thing. They said they had spent quite a bit of time with Land Rover technical support, and they said the market setting was hard coded. Seems weird that the dealer couldn’t do something that we can change with a relatively inexpensive tool ourselves. If anyone runs into this situation in the future, just email technical support at GAP. Thanks again to f10m5 for helping me solve something that seemed unsolvable according to the internet and the dealer.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Personally the "dealer" is a bunch of idiots and morons that have no clue and really no interest in doing anything "extra" for you. I wouldn't even trust my dealer to change the key fob in my battery. If I didn't love these trucks as much as I do I would have left the brand a long time ago.

Last time the dealer purposely took extra few weeks to return my truck from service and gave my number to a bunch of salespeople at said dealer who were calling me to tell me that my truck has 90k miles now and that its pretty much reached the end of its life and I should consider getting a 2020.

Bunch of pricks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
THis can still be changed by the dealer as a market setting in the main programming. As a side note, it is a root requirement for whomever imported your rig to NY to ensure that all instrumentation is in NAS format. It never should have made it to your door with KPH being displayed. Contact the selling dealer NY and make sure they arrange for and cover any costs at your local dealer to have the main market setting changed.
^Agree. Gray market (Canadian) vehicles have to be disclosed and converted prior to any sale in U.S. If selling dealer doesn’t correct, contact your state attorney general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts