RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Range rover

Installed a new thermostat, and re filled the coolant system from the loss out of the old thermostat. Everything was tightened up, and all the plugs where put back in. I went to start my vehicle, and it ran at a higher RPM for 20 seconds, and then dropped back down to normal, it started to run a bit rough, with some white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I looked at the temp. gauge and it was stuck at max. I immediately shut it off, and now I am too scared to try and turn it back on. It maybe ran for 2 minutes or less.

Did I hurt my engine?:sad:

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
"...all the plugs were put back in." What plugs are you referring to? When draining The BMW 4.4 there is only ONE plug to remove. That is the cylinder block drain plug. The radiator has a tap/faucet... if it is a proper replacement.

Did you follow the fill proceed in RAVE and remove the bleed screw and fill the system keeping the coolant tank full until a STEADY stream of coolant came out of the bleed screw hole? I may have missed something in the fill procedure but I don't have RAVE on my laptop.

You only run the to normal operating temp then shut it off and let it cool.

You most likely had air in your cooling system from not bleeding correctly. You overheated the engine. White smoke out the exhaust is never good. I'm sorry to say it's the first indicator of a blown head gasket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I doubt an engine this size (fluid capacity and thermal mass) would require less than 2 minutes to overheat and blow a headgasket (even with a large amounts of air in the coolant). Either, it must have been warm (used) before starting, or you installed the thermostat wrong (blocking flow)?

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
When the gauge is pegged in the red it is over heating.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not no ! I followed a guide that had no mention of burping the air out of the system, and upon some further research I found this was a must.

The Range when I started it after the thermostat install was cold. It hadn't been started at all that day. When I put the key into the ignition, and tun it into aux. mode the temp. gauge immediately shoots up into the red when the range is not even on.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
I went to start my vehicle, and it ran at a higher RPM for 20 seconds, and then dropped back down to normal, it started to run a bit rough, with some white smoke coming out of the exhaust. I looked at the temp. gauge and it was stuck at max. I immediately shut it off
The Range when I started it after the thermostat install was cold. It hadn't been started at all that day. When I put the key into the ignition, and tun it into aux. mode the temp. gauge immediately shoots up into the red when the range is not even on.
You are contradicting yourself. You also haven't answered the question of "all plugs were put back in". So, what is the real story here? You are scared to start it after you posted that it ran fast, then slowed down then rough and then you saw white smoke in the exhaust and noticed the gauge was "stuck at max". So realistically, how long did it really run while you were not watching the temp gauge?

I have no clue what "guide" you followed but I am looking at RAVE right now for the directions on thermostat replacement. Everything I posted above is covered including only running until normal operating temp is reached. The only thing I missed was disconnecting the battery since the thermostat has an electric heater.

So there are steps you can take to figure out if you have a blown head gasket. They usually blow between inner cylinders. Pull all the plugs on one bank and compare them. If one or two plugs are cleaner or "steam cleaned" from coolant entering those cylinders. If that bank's plugs are showing even carbon then check the other bank. No sense in doing a coolant check for exhaust gases as you most likely didn't have enough coolant to register.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mean when I started the vehicle it ran at a higher RPM than usual, for 20 seconds, THEN the RPM dropped back down to normal RPM. The temp. gauge was cold, as the Range was started from cold.

And the plugs would be the two that go over the tube that leads from the airbox to the block, there was two small rubber hoses attached I unplugged to get the tube out of the way, and the final electronic plug that was attached to the top of the thermostat. Those are the plugs.

I started the vehicle, it ran at a higher RPM for 20 seconds, dropped back down to normal. By this time I went around to have a look at the engine, maybe 30 seconds. After, back to the dash, everything normal. At this point I started noticing white smoke coming from the exhaust, so I went and took a look, just as I walked around to the exhaust, the Range started running rough. I immediately went back to the dash, looked again and the temp. gauge was stuck at redline. I immediately turned it off. This all happened within 2 minutes. And yes, now I am a bit too scared to turn it over as I don't want to make a problem worse.

I will check the plugs.

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
If no plugs are steam cleaned you have to figure out where the water came from in your exhaust. Not sure where in BC you are located but neither Vancouver or Victoria had large enough temp swings yet to form condensation in the exhaust. if you had condensation in the exhaust you would have had "white smoke"/steam coming out the exhaust almost immediately.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'l be booking an appointment at the shop tomorrow, and have them go through it. I feel if I try anything else I could cause more damage, so might as well throw the towel in this round.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just going to be so bummed if I messed something up, I want to learn but also am afraid to mess things up. If worst case scenario, and the engine is toast, is there a better engine I can throw in? Preferably the supercharged one? This 03 already has alot of goodies, and the price I got it for makes sense to toss another engine into her if it's toast.

Will update when the mechanic gives me an answer, thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Even if you got the vehicle for free, it wouldn’t be financially prudent to pay to have another engine put in her. Go buy another 2003 and part this out or sell it as-is.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,194 Posts
Sounds like you disconnected electrical connectors and nothing that was connected to the actual cooling system. The plug on the thermostat is for the electrical heater that controls when the thermostat opens and closes, don't know what the other two small hoses are that connect to the intake air tube, but they are probably PCV related, or they are the electrical connectors for the throttle control valve that sits on the end of the intake manifold right above the thermostat. If you disconnected the throttle control valve, it may need to be recalibrated which would explain your higher than normal idle. Either way theres no way you could have messed up the engine if it had any amount of coolant in it, and it only ran for 2 minutes. Check you electrical and vacuum connectors on everything you took off again to make sure they are in the proper locations and all the way on.

Watch this video for the thermostat replacement part;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=16&v=bkxLM3CcBr8

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
80 Posts
I hope the OP returns and lets us know the outcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts