RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that Costco gas is meeting Top Tier requirement now and the price is ridiculously cheap (premium gas $1.44/L in Shell while $1.19/L in Costco). The price advantage is attracting me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've heard really good things about Costco Fuel... It is made for them by major refineries according to local. I have a buddy that works for Shell so I'll ask him via email and see if he knows. I wanna say one major source was/is Dynegy Inc... which is more well known as Chevron Corp... I know that is good top tier fuel.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I get 99% of my gas from Costco as well. It's the cheapest in the area, and I've never had any issues with the quality.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I just joined Costco and we are going Sunday to fill up our Rover Sport Supercharged and 15' Rubicon based on everyone's positive experience with Costco's gas in this thread. I'm hoping my RRSS will love their 93Octane. I'm also going to get 10 gallons of 100Octane from the Marietta Race Shop to try out in the Sport Supercharged after I deplete the Costco fill up. It's guaranteed not to hurt any performance vehicle, especially Jags, Rover's, Porsche's and Beemers... I'll make my own separate thread on the 100 Octane experience here after I try it out!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Look forward to your report.

Steve
You bet Buddy! The first time I tried off-road/track fuel in a previous vehicle... I almost had a heart attack when I saw the color of what I was pumping into my tank because it's Colored "Red" on purpose to show that it's for "Off-Road" use and NOT subject to the same Fuel TAX that "On-Road" fuel is that you would get from a Fuel/Gas Station... The results were stellar though on that 1997' manufactured 383 Stroker Motor though!

·
Premium Member
1,247 Posts
It's top tier rated as mentioned, I've never had an issue running it.
I stick to BP..

WHY did they have to stop taking Amex a couple years ago?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The only place I fill up 99% of the time. Have done so with all of our cars premium there is usually the same price as regular elsewhere. Have never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I notice that Costco gas is meeting Top Tier requirement now and the price is ridiculously cheap (premium gas $1.44/L in Shell while $1.19/L in Costco). The price advantage is attracting me.
It appears you're a Cannuck, as such I have no idea how regulated petrol is there thus take my comments with grain of salt related to your usage.

In US, particularly in the CARB States (CA and 5 NE States), gasoline is identical by law, no matter the pump it emanates from. The only concern is Summer blends which have more ethanol, avoid stations that have low turnover as ethanol separation is more prevalent in time. In non-CARB States there is some allowance for deviation but in reality, it does not exist. The only difference between say Chevron and Sunoco for example is the 5 gallon jug additive that is dumped into pump tank at each refueling service allowing the vendor to label theirs as "Techron" or whatever their trade name uses.

Given the turnover volume at most Costco's, I suspect its among the best, freshest petrol available, regardless of price.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's top tier rated as mentioned, I've never had an issue running it.
I stick to BP..

WHY did they have to stop taking Amex a couple years ago?
Costco is hard core in their negotiations and Amex didn't want to play to Costco's tune in fees, etc, so Costco bounced them at end of contract.
There is a great docu on Costco though I can't remember name at moment.

Their biggest profit is fuel and they will not charge customers more than 18% over cost on anything they sell. Their gas is still 40-70 cents cheaper per gal in LA! I think that tells you what kind of markup the big fuel companies are making!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts