RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thank you Marty
when i turn the key in the driver door OR press the lock unlock buttons all 4 doors react as you would expect.
I can't see half of th messages because the missing air suspension plays havoc to sensible messages.
Can't see if there is correct input to the BECM as it doesn't talk to me?
On diagnostics, on the 'inputs' -> 'doors/locking' (from memory) section in the BECM you will then see what it thinks is happening with things like microswitches when they are toggled - they will show a change between 12V ad GND well, that's how they are displayed on my Nanocom)
OK but I can only do this in the other car.
I also think it is worth checking the continuity of the wire that goes from the BECM to the engine ECU that it's used for the immobilizer link line. I
Did that before I received Carlos' document
0 Ω in wire, checked it with the help of my apprentice against all the other wires in the engine ECU: ∞ Ω

Marty would you have any clue where the input ALARMED comes from?

Generally if the issue is at the BECM with immobiliser/alarm then you get unless it's in alarm lockout - which if you have had the BECM on the faultmate, then this is easily resettable to 'normal' if required.
unfortunatey it does not say engine disabled or codigo incorrecto , it says something about the speedo, about EAS and ABS.
I wonder why you think it is easily resettable?
the only way to do this is in direct CPU mode soldering the 6 wires to the logic board

Passive immobilization... yes had that in France once.
Usually they start fine without, with that one exception. When I had the BECM in the other car I removed the passive immo. Didn't make any difference either way.

Well today if nobody gets on my nerves I will check every input on the list against the ohter car (sigh) I just don't know what to do about the front doors if it is a serial signal. if one of the outstations is sending Beer can and the other one Sprite how can I tell? What should i expect?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
4,219 Posts
Thank you Marty
when i turn the key in the driver door OR press the lock unlock buttons all 4 doors react as you would expect.
I can't see half of th messages because the missing air suspension plays havoc to sensible messages.
Can't see if there is correct input to the BECM as it doesn't talk to me?

OK but I can only do this in the other car.

Did that before I received Carlos' document
0 Ω in wire, checked it with the help of my apprentice against all the other wires in the engine ECU: ∞ Ω

Marty would you have any clue where the input ALARMED comes from?

unfortunatey it does not say engine disabled or codigo incorrecto , it says something about the speedo, about EAS and ABS.
I wonder why you think it is easily resettable?
the only way to do this is in direct CPU mode soldering the 6 wires to the logic board

Passive immobilization... yes had that in France once.
Usually they start fine without, with that one exception. When I had the BECM in the other car I removed the passive immo. Didn't make any difference either way.

Well today if nobody gets on my nerves I will check every input on the list against the ohter car (sigh) I just don't know what to do about the front doors if it is a serial signal. if one of the outstations is sending Beer can and the other one Sprite how can I tell? What should i expect?
OK,

So BECM is good, works in another vehicle and if remote and door locking works then that's all fine, and no messages on dash then can pretty much rule out the BECM

If wiring from BECM to the engine ECU is OK, then that rules that out too.

So issue either is a random setting somewhere or the engine ECU.

By the alarm lockout being 'easily resettable' I meant that you have the BECM CPU module and faultmate - so it's not a case of having to send the BECM off somewhere for it to be checked. I don't use the soldering method anymore, I use a chip socket to fit over the top of the CPU chip once I scrape away the PCB lacquer. That way there's no chance of damaging the board/components with a soldering iron!

I have had a couple of BECMs that have responded as you have found, once I had soldered wires on/off and apparently there's a transistor that can be fried by too much heat from soldering iron when soldering the wires on to connect to faultmate. But that being said, if the BECM still works in another vehicle, then that's not the problem either.

You can't 'test' the serial links from the BECM to the outstations (maybe with an oscilloscope) but if the doors are locking/unlocking as they should, and the key signals are getting through then the serial link is fine. as it uses the same wires for each direction of communication, if it's working in one direction (BECM controlling the locks for example) then the serial link is working. The only inputs from the front doors to the BECM over the serial link are the door ajar and CDL switches - which if the door open messages/EAS inhibits etc work, and the sill lock buttons lock/unlock all the doors then those inputs are fine.

Out of interest, have you tried the BECM in 'EARLY EDC' as the engine type? If so and this makes no difference, then I would probably be looking to try and find a replacement engine ECU, as it sounds like everything up to that point is behaving.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts