RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve noticed that many people ask for help, but never follow up with the outcome.
its not only good to know we’ve helped someone, but also when people are searching posts
it could possibly help them as well.
Sometimes the problem is not mentioned, let us know, it’s knowledge for all of us.
weve all had to solve problems with different symptoms, if we combine the faults and fixes
we gain more knowledge to help others.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
Yea, rarely happens. Heck most of the time many folks are "one topic wonders" They hop on, register, post their question and never post again... until they want something. No clarifications, no model info or location and never a resolution.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I agree. Time and again we make suggestions on here and rarely hear the outcome. It is just bad manners and they are ungrateful SOB's.
I think it is getting worse. In the UK p38's are very cheap now, people buy these heaps when they shouldn't not realising how complex they are and expect forum members to help.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Can't even be bothered to post their location, never mind a year etc of the rig.
Join, post a few brain death questions about a poor rig they ended up with, never hear from them again.
Maybe make the New Member posts a requirement, then delete their posts if they cant be bothered? rofl

Martin

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Just a thought, but can the forum software be modified so that a newbie can't post unless their location and rig details are filled in beforehand?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Just a thought, but can the forum software be modified so that a newbie can't post unless their location and rig details are filled in beforehand?
We have a hard enough time getting them to fix stuff that's broken, that's been here for years.... Lets not blow the whole thing up by attempting to add new stuff!! rofl
Unless it got changed, we can put new members posts into moderation automatically. But then it takes one of us to be online etc to see it, to approve it. Can try to make the sticky more obvious I guess.....

Martin

·
Registered
153 Posts
Firstly, thanks to everyone who has responded to my few inane posts thus far. I am probably guilty of underestimating the complexity of the P38 (i certainly appreciate the simplicity of my Defender a whole lot more now), but I'm pleased to tell you after two months I'm winning the battle and my P38 to do list is far shorter now. As a newbie, Norcal has a point... if someone asks a dumb question then maybe it's better to ignore than give a response that may come across as sarcastic, and remains in perpetuity. If the noob doesn't get the "instant hit" of a response they will soon work out how to use the search function. I also agree we should close out posts as and when - thus far I haven't had any gems to add, but I will do so when I do. I think that rangerovers.net is great btw, and am here to stay

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,672 Posts
Well the concept of having your rig info in your signature is so you don't have type it every post. The idea of having a REAL location in your profile is to differentiate market differences and often getting local assistance from a neighbouring enthusiast.

The forum guidelines were written by our founder John 2004. The very first thing in the guidelines is to use the search function. The third and fourth items are Rover info in signature and a location. The forum guidelines have not change in 14 years. Sadly very few members, even long time members bother to follow the three things noted. Of course this leads to a round of twenty questions and is a waste of everyone's time.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Here's the reality, every day, here. And no you guys dont see it, because us lowly admin and mod team stay on top of it.
We ignore a post because it doesn't contain any information etc. As suggested in this thread.
In this supposed "normal" (imaginary) world, the poster would stumble upon the FAQ and use the search function. In the real world, he posts it 14 more times, as well as bumping it every three minutes.
Now if any of you guys want to open a section and see the same borderline stupid questions posted for a whole page, then go elsewhere. It wont fly here, never has and never will.
This has always been a self help forum. Go visit Pirate4x4 and post some stupid questions, let us know how that works out for you. It has the same foundation as here, as in self help first, then post. This has always been a "help us help you" forum. That means posting a location and specs of your rig. Seems some longer time members here also need to read the New Member Guidelines....
In summary, if you aren't happy with the attitude that comes with the knowledge here, there are of course other sites. You dont see anything that happens in the background, from guys that have jobs, families, homes, and of course Rovers to deal with. We all do it when we can, and seeing the same stupid stuff happen on literally a daily basis, gets old at times.

Martin

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The OP's original point was not knowing the outcome after honest advice has been given. It is just bad manners to not come back and close it off. Asking dumb questions is a different issue. We have all been there at some stage. Members come on here mostly to read up on Rangerovers because they are enthusiasts of the mark without necessarily having a problem themselves. More posts, even dumb ones, means more visitors which means more advertising revenue which means everyone gets paid and everyone is happy (or maybe not).
What I hate is the one post wonders. It maybe mostly the p38 forum where in the UK a clapped out p38 can be bought for as little as £500 to £1000 and they expect the problems to be identified. They buy a crock of sh#t without much experience of fixing cars. Also the search isn't as good as it should be. A lot of the links are dead and photos have disappeared.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Only folks making money are the ones Ooop North. The rest of us are free labor.
There are lots here in the USA too, that get a MkIII or P38 for cheap, thinking it just takes Chevy money to fix everything.
If you see dead links or useless search results, let me/us know and we'll either edit, delete or fix the issue.
As far as pure thread numbers go..... Myself and the other admin/mods will never let it get to that point. More complete idiocy gets deleted before it makes it to the public eye than you could imagine.
Clown with a RRS posted today in the general discussion's guidelines, asking if we could tell him how much his bill should be from a garage somewhere in England, that is swapping a used motor he furnished, into his RRS that was cooked. Those just get deleted. There's little point telling the fools to go read the rules etc, as those types think they are owed our time and patience for some reason
Martin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts