RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a couple months of ownership, I've noticed some design elements that could be better.

1. The rear seats, when folded down, press into the tracks for the front seats, leaving impressions in the rear seat leather. I'm afraid to keep the rear seats folded down for very long, for fear of permanent damage to the leather. Does anyone have a temporary solution? Something to cover the tracks?

2. The floor -- front and back -- has no lip at the doorway. Water bottles, etc., fall out of the car when the door is opened.

3. The read-outs for MPH, odometer, etc., on the dash are hard to read in daylight. Too small and not lit well. There should be a clear, easy-to-read warning if, for example, the rear hatch is not closed completely.

4. The driver's side door is adjustable when the car is turned off, but the passenger side door is not. If you have packages that you want to put on the floor behind the passenger seat, you have to turn the key in the ignition to be able to move the passenger seat forward. Unnecessay hassle.

5. The cigarette lighter does not charge cell phones when the car is turned off. It should.

4. The coat hooks at the top of the rear door frames are so small they're completely worthless. If you put a coat hanger on the tiny hook, it will fall off at the first turn. I end up hanging clothes on the grab bar.

6. The park assist is not very helpful. It seems to ding randomly. I turn it off in stop-and-go traffic.

Are there any fixes to these problems?

What have you noticed?

·
Registered
643 Posts
re: 2. That's very intentional. It's intended to make the vehicle very easy to clean. Part of the LR3 design mentality bleeds over to the sister vehicle.

re: 4. I agree. Both seats should be temporarily powered when the door is opened... not just the driver's seat.

re: 5. That won't change. RRS/LR3 is power thirsty, and they will make it as hard as possible for you to drain it unexpectedly as possible.

re: 6. I have no trouble with the PDC. It works fine for me. Yes, it will go off if you are creeping slowly and get close to other cars... but it's doing it's job. I get minimal "false" beeps.

You'll find plenty of commentary on various RRS features or misfeatures... browse around.

Here are a few of my design complaints (most are common between RRS/LR3):

1) The AUX input doesn't have a relative volume adjustment offset. It's too quiet for most every portable audio device plugged in. It would nice to be able to match the volume level to CD, FM, etc.

2) The Navigation voice volume is not a fixed value, unlike the Phone/PTI volume. It's a (+0 to +10) relative volume offset from current stereo volume. So, when playing devices that are too quiet over AUX (so you need to raise the volume well above "normal")... the Navigation voice makes your eardrums explode. (If #1 was fixed, this would be less of an issue.)

3) Clock location. It's awful. And it disappears while on the phone. It needs to be added to the instrument cluster somewhere. There is plenty of blank LCD space.

4) The PTI/Phone functions are marginal at best without a cradle capable phone. Other manufacturers at least allow phone book access over Bluetooth. If you want to go the "cradle" route to get more features, there aren't even any recent handsets supported!

5) RSE DVD in North America doesn't allow playback on front screen while stopped. It isn't connected at all, unlike overseas. This doesn't make sense. Why did they take a completely safe and legal feature out here?

6) Stereo doesn't display CD Text (if available) on Audio CDs or MP3 information (Title, Artist, etc.) on Data CDs with MP3 audio files.

7) Doesn't include magic fairy dust so the vehicle gets 24 MPG mixed instead of 15 MPG mixed. :)

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I'll add a few of my peeves / suggestions:

1) Navigation voice does not automatically mute or lower while on a call through the PTI system. It should.

2) Logic7 system needs a serious overhaul to sound as good as it should - for the price. Without RSES and multi-channel sound, it is an underperforming system.

3) Power window switches should be moved about 2 to 3" back, it is a needless stretch to reach any of them. All should be one-touch up/dn, not just the driver's.

4) The rear seats and trunk need more light at night. The map reading lights above the back seats should turn on automatically with the rest of the courtesy lights, and the trunk needs another light on the opposite side.

5) Fuel door does not lock? Cheapos!

6) No power folding side mirrors (available in Europe, not here), power tilt/telescoping steering (standard in Australia! n/a in North America), interior movement sensor alarm (standard in Europe). At this price they should all be standard, or at least optional.

7) Homelink buttons on rearview mirror should be illuminated.

8 ) Rear liftgate must be slammed hard to close, harder than in my 1991 Jeep. Many cars in this price range adopted some sort of power liftgate long ago.

9) POI database of Nav system was sorely lacking and outdated the very first day this car went into production, and still no words of an update.

10) Sensitivity of both rain sensing wipers and auto headlights should be adjustable.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
Another: Homelink should work without key in ignition. Annoying me at times. heh

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
grommet said:
IMMensaMind said:
Another: Homelink should work without key in ignition. Annoying me at times. heh
That'll also never happen. Security concerns.
Two other cars I own with homelink work without the key in ignition....

·
Registered
124 Posts
1) Radio controls on steering wheel should be on the left side. Maybe it is just me, but I usually have my right hand on the shifter.

2) Automatic release and close of rear liftgate

3) Keyless start. The newer Mercedes, Infiniti, and Lexus all have this.

4) Optional Sirus or XM Radio.

5) Heated seats to heat higher on the back. (Yes, even though I live in FL, I still have used this feature).

·
Registered
335 Posts
umbertob said:
Almost forgot:

11) Allow navigation inputs while moving and get rid of the nag screen, screw the lawyers! :)

12) It's called gas, not "petrol", and my phone is dialing, not "dialling", screw the Brits! :D
I happen to be a British Lawyer Umbertob, and I dont appreciate those comments....

·
Registered
37 Posts
umbertob said:
Almost forgot:

11) Allow navigation inputs while moving and get rid of the nag screen, screw the lawyers! :)

12) It's called gas, not "petrol", and my phone is dialing, not "dialling", screw the Brits! :D
I suggest you concentrate on resolving issues 1 to 11 as point 12 is perhaps a little too ambitious for one person.

Many have tried..... none have succeeded.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
801 Posts
grommet said:
IMMensaMind said:
That'll also never happen. Security concerns.
All that should be needed for Homelink to be functional is that the car should be unlocked.

·
Registered
643 Posts
1ton said:
4) Optional Sirus or XM Radio.
Sirius is already optional. You are not going to see XM, as Ford is a Sirius partner. Now, if you really want "Sirus" -- you'll need to find someone to start a service called that. But I bet Sirius might be upset. :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I suggest you concentrate on resolving issues 1 to 11 as point 12 is perhaps a little too ambitious for one person.

Many have tried..... none have succeeded.[/quote]

oh really? have you looked outside lately? :wink: :wink:

merely kidding! no problem with "brits" here, though i do think your weather sucks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi simmikie,

Ah the friendly banter between Landrover owners, it makes all those little problems worthwhile.

Your comments about the weather are spot on although it does have an advantage.....lots and lots of MUD. Check out our website (look in Photographs) and see what we get up to. http://www.mroc.co.uk

Cheers :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts