RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
292 Posts
How long does it take to install these? I added them to my build and am wondering how long it’s going to hold my car up at the port in LA.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,780 Posts
The folks installing these at port do it on a regular basis. They most likely do it in half the time of some tech at the dealer that has never installed a set before. It might add an extra day to the usual port time. Chances are they know they are going to have to do these on your rig when it comes in. They will most likely have things unpacked and prepped so they can move things along more quickly.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Cool makes sense, was hoping it wouldn’t add a week. Truck’s been at port since Wed and some other trucks have already been delivered to my dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Cool makes sense, was hoping it wouldn’t add a week. Truck’s been at port since Wed and some other trucks have already been delivered to my dealer.
The installation of DSS at port (Brunswick, GA, at least) take 1 day. It usually adds a total of 2 days to the stay there. Then, of course, you have to wait for the next truck/train leaving the port to your area. Once it's at the port though, the store should know which rig it's booked to leave on.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got mine installed the other day, I will check later today, but I don't think they have sensors. Maybe they use the car sensors?
Was curious to know the cost you incurred to have the deployable steps added to your RR?

im hearing the kit is around $4.1k. but dealer fees to install are high.

I have a 19 RR

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Automatic access places added stress on your compressor that is not necessary. Using access height when required is an occasional setting to be used for folks needing a lower access point or when crawling around a parking garage with low ceiling. Auto dumps the air every time you park. That air has to be replenished each and every time you drive away, thus running the compressor to raise you back to normal height. So one trip to work will require the compressor to run twice to raise the rig in auto mode. If you are running errands and making multiple stops it has to run every time you start your Rover. It's great for kewl factor but really does wear out compressors faster.
I lowered my 2009 into the garage every single day multiple times for a decade and never had a single air suspension issue. I'd also imagine these stupid side steps swinging out every time you get into the car will wear those out too. I shut my side steps off, I find them very very annoying.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
16 Posts
Automatic access places added stress on your compressor that is not necessary. Using access height when required is an occasional setting to be used for folks needing a lower access point or when crawling around a parking garage with low ceiling. Auto dumps the air every time you park. That air has to be replenished each and every time you drive away, thus running the compressor to raise you back to normal height. So one trip to work will require the compressor to run twice to raise the rig in auto mode. If you are running errands and making multiple stops it has to run every time you start your Rover. It's great for kewl factor but really does wear out compressors faster.
I have 150,000 miles on my 2014 and utilize it for work. I am in and out of it multiple stops per day and I utilized the access height every time I get out of the vehicle. You will NOT wear out the compressor. They would not have provided the feature if it was not usable. I have never had a hitch in this aspect of my ownership experience for what it's worth.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think they're great. They're rock-solid and wide. When you stand on them you move over in to the seat rather than up and over, probably less wear and tear on the seat bolsters. LOL, I use them all the time, and when I had the RR in sand mode (I think) they didn't come out and it was a PITA getting in and out of the car.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I will be receiving a “replica” set in a week or two and will be going through he headache of installing and wiring these haha. Currently have the OEM fixed ones but wanted deployable. OEM is crazy money like $3-4K....aftermarket replica up to $1400+. I scored an all included kit of the steps, module, harness, dash button, etc for $1100 shipped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I will be receiving a “replica” set in a week or two and will be going through he headache of installing and wiring these haha. Currently have the OEM fixed ones but wanted deployable. OEM is crazy money like $3-4K....aftermarket replica up to $1400+. I scored an all included kit of the steps, module, harness, dash button, etc for $1100 shipped.
If you aren't happy with the aftermarket kit you could look into finding a set on a totaled Range Rover in a junkyard. You never know.

·
Registered
412 Posts
they look virtually identicle. Even have the "Range Rover" laser etched on the metal accent strip. Motors look exact etc. I'd rather go new than used....so I'll take my chances. Worst case I'll put the OEM fixed ones back on

·
Registered
17 Posts
they look virtually identicle. Even have the "Range Rover" laser etched on the metal accent strip. Motors look exact etc. I'd rather go new than used....so I'll take my chances. Worst case I'll put the OEM fixed ones back on
It might be the exact same Chinese company makes the knock offs as makes the real ones. Good luck with the install!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Installed them. Look beautiful and work perfect
Hi! How hard was the install? And where did you buy them from? I want to order some but I have a LWB and I need the longer steps and ones that I’ve seen for sale don’t say whether or not there for the LWB or SWB Range rovers, so I don’t want to take my chances and end up with the wrong ones haha. Also the ones you bought are they plug and play with everything? Like the button on the driver side trunk button and the other I places they plug into on the truck? Thanks!

·
Registered
412 Posts
The install was a pain in the ass. I probably wouldn’t do another one again even though I could probably do it in half the time. Took me about a weekend and I am OCD so it’s an immaculate install and looks OEM. There’s all the underside work and rcutting of the panels to fit the brackets, taking off underside trays etc, mounting the new brackets and motor, then tearing apart the whole back end of the truck on both sides to wire and feed the harness down. I’ll try to find where I got them. Saved about $5k all said and done

21 - 36 of 36 Posts