RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had them on our last Range Rover which was in 2010, I don't remember if I was annoyed by them or not, I didn't keep the car for long. I seem to remember them hitting my shins often, or getting my pants dirty, but that could have been a different car. I am debating getting them installed when our car arrives, what are your opinions on them? It seem like it could help for the kids and my wife.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They are on my wife’s MY 2018 RRS, and she loves them! When they are not deployed, you don’t even know they are there! (Not in the way when in off-road mode hits either!) She likes them, and the extra entry / exit step has been beneficial. Also, as stated by another user in another thread, the assist against wear on the seats; getting in and out / rubbing. Lastly, they do not offer any (shin banging) problem with my, and FWIW I am 6’ in height. VOTE HERE; get them. Hope this helps your decision.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,704 Posts
That is the difference of having them port installed before the dealer receives the Rover and having your dealer install them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why not just use the automatic access height? I can see a need for deployable steps if someone is disabled, etc. but lowering the vehicle with the air suspension to access height works great when I need to get my semi-immobile father into it.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,704 Posts
Automatic access places added stress on your compressor that is not necessary. Using access height when required is an occasional setting to be used for folks needing a lower access point or when crawling around a parking garage with low ceiling. Auto dumps the air every time you park. That air has to be replenished each and every time you drive away, thus running the compressor to raise you back to normal height. So one trip to work will require the compressor to run twice to raise the rig in auto mode. If you are running errands and making multiple stops it has to run every time you start your Rover. It's great for kewl factor but really does wear out compressors faster.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Get the side steps worth every penny the truck sits pretty High in my opinion they come in handy all the time

If you are ordering the vechicle they are worth the 3500 but after the fact maybe not with that 7500 price tag

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's disappointing that it isn't an option when building a car on the land rover website. I didn't know at the time that it could be port installed.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have them on my 2016, they were on the vehicle when I bought it. I have them turned off most of the time. They are useful when I pick up my mom, she uses them to aid in getting in and out of the vehicle. I asked the dealer to remove them but the cost to remove was very high (8 Hours Labor and new side skirts). I won't have them on my next vehicle!

·
Registered
389 Posts
I had them on my 2016 as well as now on 2017. They’re great addition and imo must have. They get confused sometimes like so many other electrical glitches with the RR but very useful. I’m not sure long term reliability though if you intend to keep for 5+ years

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’m 6’4”, they’re annoying and I have to step over them to enter. Normal sized people love them. They do seem to impact breakover angle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got the deployable side steps installed on my 2017 RR. I did notice this morning that the car constantly thought I was next to a wall as the parking sensor kept beeping and showing an obstacle next to the driver. After I parked and got back in the car that seems to have gone. Is it something usual or should I go get it checked.

My dealer didn't mention any problem with wade sensing so I hope that is still good. Before the install, they told me that the sidestep only comes out on the side where a door is opened. After the install they told me no matter which door is opened both pop out which seems to be true. I though I remembered reading somewhere that the steps have sensors themselves and if they noticed a barrier they do not deploy. Can anyone confirm if this is true?

The reason I ask is that my parking space is right next to a column and I don't want to test it so I switch them off before getting home.

Thanks, Dimitri

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
My 2014 Supercharged (bought used) came with them and I didn't even realize from the photos that it had them til I saw it in the flesh and opened one of the doors. At first I planned to remove them as I did with the fixed running boards on my Mk II, but my wife loves them and I am sure my mother will too when she visits for her 90th birthday in July!

So far on my off roading they have not been a problem -- they do lower ground clearance a bit but only at the rocker panels -- think of them as expensive rock sliders!! (They are pretty strong).

They are kind of a cool feature I must admit, and kind of grow on you. I realize it is one more thing to go wrong, but mine have not had any problems so far.

So, for now I am leaving them on, and may never get around to removing them!

Cheers

John

Cheers

John

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,704 Posts
You should have a separate manual for them different years have different procedures. Please add your Rover's info to your signature so we can provide accurate info.

Standard procedure for newer DSS is to press and hold the button in the overhead, activate your ignition without foot on brake, wait 5-10 seconds deactivate the ignition and release the button. This will turn them off if they are on. This will also turn them on if they are off.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,704 Posts
DSS are either port installed or by the dealer. At least I have never heard of anyone doing it themselves.

Either way you will have manual override switch.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts