RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent most of the weekend installing the OEM deployable running boards to my 2016 RRS HSE. I had been cobbling together parts over the past 6 months and ended up buying all new parts at sizable discounts.

I’m still not done with the install... I still need to cut the under panels and reinstall. Finally, I will then add the actual boards to the pivots/motors. Install is pretty awful... not difficult, just time consuming - anytime you have to remove over 30 push fasteners, it’s an awful job.

That said, I have everything wired (new switch pack and jumper, control box, wiring into loom at the rear) and expected the motors to deploy, but unfortunately nothing is happening. I can hear a very low beep, which is new, that I assume is when they are deploying, but nothing is occurring.

Haven’t really troubleshot anything yet, with the exception of the wiring, but wondering is anyone who has done this has required coding?

I have the GAP tool, but haven’t looked at yet... does anyone with a GAP noticed this in the long list of CCFs?

My 12 hours later troubleshooting list is prioritized as follows:
1. Coding
2. Control pack
3. Switch pack

For now, I’m eliminating the motors from consideration as neither are working, so I assume it’s impossible for both to be nonfunctioning.

Any other troubleshooting thoughts from anyone is appreciated.

·
Registered
337 Posts
You should have looked at the OEM "replica" kit on ebay that cost around $700-$900 and comes with all the coding and guide and all harness, literally everything. Plug and play even has JLR stamps/PN.

I will try to find the guide they sent me and send it over for coding. I have l405 lwb but the l405 swb and l494 is the same.

I would email patrick at gap to send you instructions in the mean time for CCF of the deployable side steps and explain to him what you did and he will be able to help you at as well.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
121 Posts
The cheaper LR copy sets on eBay often don’t route through the cars network, they intercept the unlocking or locking signals. They don’t show up on the menu screen. It’s a more simple system but not sure if it’s the same quality. Google Pegasus deployable side steps and you’ll find some videos they are a UK dealer selling the simple system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You should have looked at the OEM "replica" kit on ebay that cost around $700-$900 and comes with all the coding and guide and all harness, literally everything. Plug and play even has JLR stamps/PN.

I will try to find the guide they sent me and send it over for coding. I have l405 lwb but the l405 swb and l494 is the same.

I would email patrick at gap to send you instructions in the mean time for CCF of the deployable side steps and explain to him what you did and he will be able to help you at as well.
Spoke to Patrick today and he didn’t think a CCF change was required. He thought that to activate it required pressing the button for an extended period, although no sequence I’ve tried seems to do anything.

Anyone aware of a deployable running board button sequence to activate?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For those following along, to power up the system on my 2016 I had to press and hold the side step button and the car start button simultaneously for 15 seconds. No coding necessary.

Video below on the procedure.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Excellent news and glad you got it working.

How much did the whole retrofit cost going OEM if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Excellent news and glad you got it working.

How much did the whole retrofit cost going OEM if you don't mind me asking?
Right around $1,700 for all new parts. But that was a lot of shopping around for good deals over a period of about 4 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts