RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, new guy here.

I am involved in doing biological research out in the deserts of California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona etc.. I need a vehicle that can carry myself and a good deal of expensive equipment between my home - and the research sites - so about 600 miles on the road. Once I get there it has to spend a week going up 2 tracks rutted out washed out mine roads, sand arroyos etc.

I am thinking that the RR's legendary offroad ability and smooth riding make it a good choice.

so I really need dependability, and capability off road.

I am thinking a classic - LWB maybe - with the air system replaced with Bilsteins - adding a winch and a few other things.

so dependability - what years / models do you suggest? 94 seems to be a good choice?

or with the legendary electrical snafus - should I sell out and go with a Toyota?

Carl Johansson
Auberry Ca

·
Registered
523 Posts
carl johansson said:
I am thinking that the RR's legendary offroad ability and smooth riding make it a good choice.
Yes.

carl johansson said:
so dependability - what years / models do you suggest?

- should I sell out and go with a Toyota?
Yes. :lol:

·
Registered
100 Posts
toyota... or a decent range rover classic and about 5grand for parts and labor and you have a good starting point. make sure you have a cell phone that works in all the areas your going to. ever been to round mountain or better yet manhattan nv? really good trails and fun times at the bar...

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
A Classic in good shape will be a dependable truck. As long as you stay on top of any problems. So dont ignore a little thing, it will turn into a big thing in the middle of no where. For the money you will spend getting a decent Classis you can get a 80 Series Toyota Wanabe Cruiser. The 80 Series is less dependable and very poorly made when compared to Land Rovers. It will fail you, and it will do it often. This is coming from first hand expirence.

Buy a 93-95 LWB CLassic. Replace the air ride with Old Man Emu coils and shocks. Put a set of good A/T tires on it. and then build this bumper and put a Warn M8000 on it and you will have the best truck for the job under $8,000. Being a LWB you can carry more gear, also a little smoother ride. If you go 95' you get a soft dash but its pretty much the same shooting match 93-95 on the LWB.

Let us know what you get. Dont let people scare you away from Land Rovers. They arent half as bad as people will lead you on too. You will regret a Toyota because of its poor dependibility.

Heres the Bumper you can build for dirt cheap.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31153&hilit=winch

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
The Discovery is a bigger vehicle, so if you are lugging equipment around, you may be better off with one of these. However, I find the Discovery very lurchy and you always feel rear end heavy where as the Range Rover has much more stability. For reliability, just make sure you give either purchase a full blown service and add any additional kit carefully, such as new springs and dampers. Get some quotes for the work and service before you buy, just so you know what your budget is for the vehicle purchase.

Personally, I'd take the Range Rover but that's just me speaking... :lol:

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a 94 Classic Tdi and never had any electrical problems (apart from the alternator dying but that was probably my fault). In the end it's going to come down to what condition the truck is in when you buy it. Get a good example and you'll be set, buy a lemon and it'll suck your will to live.

One thing about Rangies is the storage space. Always seems to be minimal storage up front.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hate to say it but for something that needs to be dependable for work, you are probably better off with something considerably younger than a RRC and Japanese.

That way you can spend your spare time restoring a RRC and when your happy with it, than use that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Let's be honest, the Range Rover County Classic is a high maintenance vehicle, and not always that dependable. Don't get me wrong I love my 95RR, but I love my wife too. And she's getting tired of all the money (and time) I put into the truck. I'm the original owner, and aside from all the usual electrical issues (we don't refer to Lucas as the 'prince of darkness' for nothing) less than a year ago my transmission blew at a traffic light in downtown Seattle. Last week the transfer box went out while turning into a parking lot. I would hate to have that happen in the middle of China Lake. Also, I've replaced the brake light switch twice in the last 14 years and now carry a spare. Its no fun unable to get out of park because of a locked transmission. I wouldn't say these are unique idiosyncratic issues to Land Rover, but of all the vehicles I or my family have owned through the years none have spent more down time. I would recommend a 'newish' Japanese 4x4 and put a Yakima box on the roof if you need additional space. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I love Range Rovers, and have wanted one since my first sighting, but, you need to be a mechanic to own one, unless you're wealthy, also, although I always appreciate comments from dr leo, these dont seem to be hot weather vehicles, theyre huge maint., and get terrible fuel economy, I'm not sure where the "last gas" stop is in the desert, but you'll definately need to know.If you want a fun vehicle to drive and repair ( my favorite hobbies)Rovers are a good choice

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've owned a D-90, two classic RRs, one Disco and a 94 Toy Land Cruiser. Of all those vehicles, I'd take the 90 into the desert (mine had a/c:) or anywhere for that matter. A very, very close second would be my current 93 RR. A truck is moving parts, plain and simple. Some are better than others my two RRs one a 94 and of course my 93 are like night and day. The 94 was a nightmare with all sorts of problems from mechanical to electrical. My 93 is a dream relatively speaking. The key is previous ownership in my opinion. I didn't know what I was doing when I bought my 94, the mere fact that Georgia clay was packed into every orifice in the vehicle should have tipped me off that it wasn't well cared for. The Land Cruiser was big, heavy-feeling truck on and off the road and always seemed to have little hiccups - just never running quite right. Best advice is be thorough, meticulous, and ask questions when you look over the vehicle. There are links and what-to-look-out-for topics all over this forum. Read them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts