RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im planning on doing a coolant flush and change this Easter wknd. Is it better to use demineralised water for the coolant mix for the radiator?

Any other cooling system tips?

Cheers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yep, distilled water is best. The less stuff in the water besides water the less stuff there is to react with and corrode.

Don't use a radiator flush chemical, just water. My nephew used to use those flush chemicals on every new/used car he got. A couple of months later he was replacing leaking freeze plugs. When he stopped using the chemical, he stopped losing them.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
38 Posts
I have to agree. Use distilled. We have very, very hard water in San Antonio and I can't imagine using it in my radiator or washers.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
we have moderately hard was here, and I must admit I have always just stuck the hose on it and filled and flushed that way. Then again due to lots of very hot weather I have my radiator rodded every 25,000 k's anyway......

·
Registered
272 Posts
My well water is darned near sea water. (The valley I live in was once a salt-water sound, and the ground water under it partly sea water. Think of Washington's Puget Sound, then add a quarter million years.) I use jugs of distilled water I buy at the store for my radiators. It's cheap. Using it is also cheaper than repairing salt corrosion in the cooling system.

Scott

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input.

I flushed the cooling system, all the coolant that came out was clean. I refilled with water and took for a 100+ km drive with the heater on to flush the system and again the water was clean, no rust or sludge. I did the final refil with a 50/50 mix of Nulon Long Life Concentrate Coolant and demineralised water.

How often should I service the cooling system? The bottle of coolant says it lasts 5 years or 250 000 kms, which ever comes first but that is probably far too long?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Most of the cars I own recommend every three years, but somehow my cars always need some repair that requires draining the coolant before that happens.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts