Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

Just got notification from the dealer that the production for my 2015.5 RRS HSE got delayed a month! It was supposed to come end of April but now they think it may be closer to end of May. I got 5+2 seating and they are saying that there is supply shortage for the seats and accompanying tires...

Per chance, is anyone else having similar issues with delays? I've been waiting months for this car and I understand it's par for the course but this is kinda ridiculous to be happening this day and age...

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
It might just be a manufacturing delay or what we have also seen with other members is that some dealers aren't completely truthfull when they give you a date. Did the dealer really have an allocation for April in your name? Did the dealer give your spot to a "better" customer and bumped your order out a month? Did they give you a Vista printout with all the details?

No one seems to keep any extra inventory any more, which I think got even worse after the last recession. So it is easy to see how a manufacturer can get caught short if they incorrectly predict the models/features that are going to sell well.

There was a recent delay for bad lug nuts and a bad wiring harness (right hand drive model), so not surprised something else has caused a delay.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
We can thank Henry Ford for this, he came up with the JIT system but it was easy for him, all his Cars were black with little variation.

Two of the hardest jobs in manufacturing is supply chain analyst and procurement, who knew the supplier would send them harnesses that are 1/2" too short?

I feel sorry for the Customers and Dealers, but it's almost impossible to predict what is going to go wrong. JIT works until it doesn't.

·
Registered
2020 Range Rover / 2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder / 2019 BMW X5
373 Posts
We can thank Henry Ford for this, he came up with the JIT system but it was easy for him, all his Cars were black with little variation.

Two of the hardest jobs in manufacturing is supply chain analyst and procurement, who knew the supplier would send them harnesses that are 1/2" too short?

I feel sorry for the Customers and Dealers, but it's almost impossible to predict what is going to go wrong. JIT works until it doesn't.
What is JIT?

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
LMAO! Been awhile since I have seen a lmgtfy link.

There are many reasons for a delay during production. Anyone scheduling based on a dealer's provided date is only gambling. Until a rig is on the lot and ready for your delivery signature all bets are off. Like it or not, it is just a fact of life.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hello to all,

Just got notification from the dealer that the production for my 2015.5 RRS HSE got delayed a month! It was supposed to come end of April but now they think it may be closer to end of May. I got 5+2 seating and they are saying that there is supply shortage for the seats and accompanying tires...

Per chance, is anyone else having similar issues with delays? I've been waiting months for this car
In Feb., I got a 'firm' build date from two dealers on my SC. That date did not change when I recently opted to do an ATB. However, they both said that there was a problem with 22" rims. Did you get those? One said they are unavailable. The other said I would be waiting until Fall. Going with the stock 21s on the ATB, I see my truck in June. No other issues and I ordered every option save 5+2 & Signature audio.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
What is JIT?
JIT = Just-in-Time manufacturing. It's widely used today in almost all industries and it keeps inventory (minimal) and within check... Make it and ship it to order in real time. It's actually part of the Kanban approach within the agile (lean) methodology umbrella. Toyota perfected and optimized it --- and they did it so well, that it actually became an automotive manufacturing proxy... Toyota was even invited to Germany to train Porsche on the methodology many years ago when they were transitioning from air-cooled (practically hand-made products) to water-cooled (mass-efficiency) products... this methodology adoption frankly saved Porsche.

·
Registered
159 Posts
In Feb., I got a 'firm' build date from two dealers on my SC. That date did not change when I recently opted to do an ATB. However, they both said that there was a problem with 22" rims. Did you get those? One said they are unavailable. The other said I would be waiting until Fall. Going with the stock 21s on the ATB, I see my truck in June. No other issues and I ordered every option save 5+2 & Signature audio.

I ordered End of December and got an initial April 1 delivery date. Switched to ATB but told no change in delivery date. Then 3-4 weeks ago they changed to June 1 saying delays with all V8's (SC and ATB). Kind of stupid they can't estimate better or lie better. Either way what can you do. First RR I bought I had 3 dealers with cars on the lot offering me deals. It all comes around....but still frustrating they can't get their ****
together.

·
RIP Our Friend
27,834 Posts
It's easy for folks with no clue to play armchair parts supply manager and blame LR for all the issues under the sun. In reality there are many suppliers, many shippers and many assemblers involved long before the sub assemblies and parts arrive at LR for final assembly. LR assembly is only the final step prior to hitting shipment. If any item along the supply chain is held up, everything is held up.

Look at the issues with the P38 when Valeo was not able to supply blend motors fast enough for production. Their supplier ran short on a single part that impacted the blend motor assemblies that also impacted other companies including Citroen and Peugeot. The issue was ENTIRELY outside of LRs control, yet they are the ones that were raked over the coals when P38s were held up in production.

The fact is delivery times are ALWAYS estimates. They usually a very accurate estimate when all goes as planed, but crap happens. THe example above is a perfect scenario. LR is supplied a harness that is 1/2" short. THis is something that is not in their control and they are doing their best to address the problem.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I ordered End of December and got an initial April 1 delivery date. Switched to ATB but told no change in delivery date. Then 3-4 weeks ago they changed to June 1 saying delays with all V8's (SC and ATB). Kind of stupid they can't estimate better or lie better. Either way what can you do. First RR I bought I had 3 dealers with cars on the lot offering me deals. It all comes around....but still frustrating they can't get their ****
together.
I agree with you that either the supplier or the dealer (or both) are poor at setting expectations. I originally ordered in Nov. from one local dealer (BMC) with an estimated March '15 delivery. That clearly didn't happen.

BMC only entered me into the their system with LR in Feb. That system popped up a July delivery date. Every time I talk to them about, they give me another story about how their will be another delay. When I called to upgrade to an ATB, the salesman says not to expect the car until September without even checking his system. Turns out the modification in the system to ATB didn't change the delivery date.

Frustrated with BMC's opacity in communication, I went to another local dealer (Marin) and got a June estimate in their LR system. Even with the ATB, that date remains. My build-change cut off is this Friday. I suppose that yours has already passed. Did you get 22s? I can let you know if I hear anything on my build or delivery date change. This all seems to fit in the management best practices of underpromise/overdeliver. It could be either the dealer or LR. Is this one reason for the increased satisfaction (not mention margin) enjoyed by those firms with integrated supply and distribution (e.g., apple, tesla, prada)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to everyone for your thoughts on the matter! Glad I joined this forum and I can't wait to get my car!!

I got 20" rims because that's the only one you can get with the 5+2 configuration. I suppose the only thing I can do is wait...

But what is frustrating is that I asked if changing to remove the 5+2 sitting and getting different rims would make a difference in terms of production time (especially if they are telling me that the hold up is with the seats and the wheels). They said that it wouldn't... So i don't know if it really is the manufacturer having issue with production or the dealer being shady with me. So far, my dealer has been very good but it does make me wonder...

I agree with comments about integrating the system. Moreover, why can't I check the status of my car directly with the manufacturer instead of having to go through the dealer? Why can't they have like a website or something where you can type in your car info and know exactly where they are in the production schedule...

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,622 Posts
I agree with you that either the supplier or the dealer (or both) are poor at setting expectations. I originally ordered in Nov. from one local dealer (BMC) with an estimated March '15 delivery. That clearly didn't happen.

BMC only entered me into the their system with LR in Feb. That system popped up a July delivery date. Every time I talk to them about, they give me another story about how their will be another delay. When I called to upgrade to an ATB, the salesman says not to expect the car until September without even checking his system. Turns out the modification in the system to ATB didn't change the delivery date.

Frustrated with BMC's opacity in communication, I went to another local dealer (Marin) and got a June estimate in their LR system. Even with the ATB, that date remains. My build-change cut off is this Friday. I suppose that yours has already passed. Did you get 22s? I can let you know if I hear anything on my build or delivery date change. This all seems to fit in the management best practices of underpromise/overdeliver. It could be either the dealer or LR. Is this one reason for the increased satisfaction (not mention margin) enjoyed by those firms with integrated supply and distribution (e.g., apple, tesla, prada)?
British Motors of SF gave me the same story. Gave them a deposit beginning of November 13 for a 2014.5 RRS. I was promised a February delivery. My order wasn't entered into the LR system until almost a month later. The car arrived the end of March. I wonder if we got the same salesman.

·
Registered
252 Posts
British Motors of SF gave me the same story. Gave them a deposit beginning of November 13 for a 2014.5 RRS. I was promised a February delivery. My order wasn't entered into the LR system until almost a month later. The car arrived the end of March. I wonder if we got the same salesman.
I dropped the deposit on Nov 2nd 2013. Picked up my vehicle on June 17th 2014. Roughly 26 weeks or 6.5 months for delivery. Though my dealer didn't get a V8SC slot until Feb. So my order was just sitting at the dealer until thy were allocated a V8SC order slot. According to my dealer i could have had an HSE by Christmas 2013.

The explanation i was given was that Tata didn't forecast such a banner sales year for the RRS, especially for the RRS V8SC. Subsequently, they didn't request enough engines, specifically, V8 engines from Ford in 2014. Something it seems they would have rectified for MY2015.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,991 Posts
You mean Ford is still the maker of Land Rover V8SC? I know my oil filter cover had a fomoco label on it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
252 Posts
Interesting, I gave British motors (the same dealer) my deposit Nov 3rd 2013. Picked up my HSE the end of March 2014. What they will say to make a sale.
I've personally known my sales guy, (assistant manager) for some years now. He was telling me that when LR would contact them to pick up an order, they have as many as 15 slots available for the V6 versions, but at times not even 1 for the V8. Of course my personal relationship with him might not stop him from feeding me a dealer story. But then he also knows that my family is long time friends with the dealer owners. Who knows.

I just saw earlier this week that my dealer has won LR NA dealer of the year award 3 times and has been a pinnacle club award recipient for 11 times. I guess the pinnacle award is only given to 16 dealers every year. Just nice to see that because i always here these horror stories about dealers and i've always been happy with mine. A bonus that they also sell; Audi, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, VW, Maserati as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I ordered a V8 Dynamic with 22" wheels in late December. It got officialy entered into the ordering system in early January with an initial delivery date for late March. Came in a week or so early and I picked up last week. It was ordered as "priority sold" and that was marked on a windshield sticker (not sure exactly what that means). No mention of any delays along the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This forum is awesome! I learn so much about RRS... almost to a point where I'm thinking I may not have ordered the car if I knew about all of these issues! Haha!

In any case, just wondering what your interaction was with your dealer while you were waiting for your cars... I haven't really contacted my dealer, maybe once a month to check the status of the car...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.