RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the engine bay is looking pretty greasy/gummy these days, and I'd like to clean it up somewhat. However I am terrified of direct water on all of those important electrical bits.

Has anyone here had success, and what advice can you give? What are the chances something gets ruined? What degreasers did you use and how did you go about it? Thanks!

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Purple Power, pressure washer, repeat as needed.
If you feel the need, cover up anything sensitive, but since we dont have distributors anymore I never bother myself. Make sure the PCV hoses are in good order too.
Works better on a warm engine by the way.
My big truck engine has more electronic junk on it than any P38, and the engine gets steamed every time the truck gets washed, which is every week normally. no problems at all there neither.

Martin

·
Registered
343 Posts
Ditto the Purple Power. Great stuff.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
788 Posts
Martin -

You don't have to cover the alternator or battery or fuse box or MAF or other electronics when power washing??

I did Mine a few months ago and it came out terribly because I ended up covering 1/2 the dirty engine bay in plastic to protect all the seemingly hydrophobic parts.

I remember reading that someone in an IS300 forum washed his engine compartment and then the car wouldn't work afterwards. So now I'm puzzled.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Nico,
I never cover anything so long as the PCV hoses etc are all in good order.
Never had a problem myself, but maybe keep some WD40 handy just in case.
I just got into the habit of blasting everything before getting filthy working on it, and only had one issue of a DiscoI not wanting to run correctly for literally a couple of miles. Stopped at the store after the wash, came back out, ran perfectly. That rig had been sat for a couple of years too, so no telling what else was going on.
Degrease and blast away!

Martin

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I have never covered anything on an injected engine and never had an issue... ever. Carb and distributor engine I remove the air cleaner, plug the intake and avoid the dizzy.

On P38s I don't blast full pressure at the fuse box or seals on the EAS or ECUs. Again, I have never had an issue. At work we blast the crap out of cars and rarely have issues. When we do it is always water in a dizzy. A shot of WD40 and all is good.

Yes some folks will scream bloody murder t never wash your engine. Common, where to you think all that road spray and rain when you drive?

·
Registered
44 Posts
What psi do you think would be too much? It's something I've been thinking about doing it since I bought the car. I'm figuring if I cover the fuse box, alternator, and engine ecu I don't think anything else will be a problem. Am I right in my thinking?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Thought we just said we dont bother covering engine components?
As far as pressure goes, I'll have to ask Mr Craftsman what the PSI is......3200psi rings a bell, but I dont go hitting it with the fine jet nozzle neither.
Common sense is all it takes If that is in short supply, take it somewhere to do it for you.

Martin

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Martin and Carl. I'll give it a proper go this week :excited!:

·
Registered
748 Posts
Just had mine done by a little chappy here in Manila, who spent the best part of two hours with de-greaser and a toothbrush followed by a good pressure wash.

Bay now immaculate and started first time with no problem.

150 Pesos well spent!
150 pesos? Isn't that about $5.00 USD?
If you have it done here, it will cost anywhere from $35 to $75 depending on where you do it and how dirty it is.

02 Range Rover Westminster
98 Discovery LE Tdi

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,248 Posts
Purple Power, a pressure washer, and some effort...
engine built.jpg

Previously a 150k mile filthy engine. Think it took about 4 rounds to get the block like that, as well as ALL the internals (it was a totally stripped block)

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thought we just said we dont bother covering engine components?
As far as pressure goes, I'll have to ask Mr Craftsman what the PSI is......3200psi rings a bell, but I dont go hitting it with the fine jet nozzle neither.
Common sense is all it takes If that is in short supply, take it somewhere to do it for you.

Martin
I know that's what you said and I'm sure your right. However, it just goes against my gut feeling. I'd much rather spend money on fun stuff like a brush guard or new tires not fixing my novice mistakes. I think I'm going to give it a try this weekend nothing like first hand experience.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Blast away, avoid directly blasting the fuse box, but the rest should be fine.
Oh, and give it a good run as soon as you are finished as this will dry all the moist bits quickly
What could possibly go wrong?

G

·
had an D1 300tdi automatic once which did not react to the throttle anymore after steamcleaning the enginebay, for the rest not a single issue after pressure/steam cleaning the engine.

last week I drove my P38 through the surf of a small beach (freshwater) and afterwards no reverse and in drive it seemed to have less power at the wheels, but in 1st it seemed to drive ok.

after standing for three hours still no reverse and questionable D
had contact with the guy that overhauled the gearbox last august he assured me i could drive it home.
after 30km or so the D was normal en Reverse was back again ... just moisture in a connector.....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts