RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i degreased the engine this weekend per the generally accepted method appearing on threads on the subject on this board. i covered the maf, intake, alternator, fuse box, etc. with plastic bags, liberally coated engine with crc degreaser and let it marinate for several minutes.
then rinsed it off with a fine mist from the hose. my step brother and brother-in-law were with me for moral support. they both have lots of experience detailing their cars and i have about zero, so i was glad they were along. also there have been many rovers in the family, so all parties to the procedure understood the heightened stakes, lest something go wrong or need replacement if i made a wrong move.
it went according to plan, so i can't say i have any reservation about doing it again. amusingly, after i was done rinsing i went to start the car to dry off the engine, which promptly stalled. they both looked at me wide-eyed with incredible concern and said "wh-wh-why did it stall?". i replied: "Because it's 11 years old and full of water. It'll be fine". So i just tried her a second time and she fired right up and we lived happily ever after. I may do a quick pass with some compressed air next time to give it a head start drying. otherwise it went well. i have to say the engine is noticeably quieter and smoother now that the candy shell of grime has been dissolved. it probably runs a little cooler too, but i can't say they with any certainty.
i also went for broke, and scrubbed off the stainless center muffler to discover it has a neato callaway logo etched into it. that now sounds better as well and is once again shiny. not a bad way to spend 20 mins of my weekend...
i'd like to clean the maf next b/c i am getting a little bit of a flat spot around 1500.

·
Registered
43 Posts
20 mins? and u never did this before? ur a beast lol......what kind of degreaser did u use on your engine i was thinking about doing mine now that i got a tune up i had a feeling it would probably make it quieter too

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had done a lot of tidying up in the bay and scrubbed off certain parts with a brush and hot water over the last two weekends. i had also used a household degreaser and paper towels previously to remove alot of superficial crud (particle and soft deposits) from the engine. so when i went to degrease there was something of a head start.

i used crc engine degreaser. it will suck the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro. keep it away from paint. i DOUSED it THOROUGHLY and let it work for like ten minutes. that was enough. i didn't want to push any rubber or or permeable items over the edge...

·
Registered
541 Posts
CRC works quite well. "Gunk" brand also works extremely well at the heavy oil. "Marinating" (that gave me a laugh) is very important.

I tend to stay away from the heavy duty stuff mentioned above except for the really thick goo. I use 100% Simple Green for everything else, works well and is non-toxic. Since I do my degreasing generally in the grass and not in the driveway to avoid spotting up the asphalt, I try to use more Simple Green than anything else - doesn't kill the grass. Sometimes I will soak the heavy crud with Gunk and then drive 5 minutes to the local carwash and rinse it there. The heat I think helps loosen the goo, and I can hose it off at the wash and not my yard.

A quick spray wax (Eagle 1 Nano works great) on all of the metal surfaces around the engine bay helps keep crud from sticking, making next time a little easier.

Thanks for sharing!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts