RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIV / L405
331 Posts
I dig it but have to agree with the earlier poster that my first impression was Ford Flex....which looks like a Land Rover.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Although the Ford Flex is not a bad looking vehicle, I just don't see any comparison at all to the new Defender. But hey, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. After all, the Ford Flex has been discontinued anyway and soon you will see new Defenders rooming the streets and off road trails!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Put some off-road tires and a lift kit on the flex and = Defender 😉

that video actually made me less intrigued. For the price it’s an aweful lot of rubber and plastic (I get it it’s an off-roading car). But plastic and rubber are cheaper than leather and wood and cf so it should be priced accordingly. also a lot of useless things...the dumb color coded “window” for one that I thought was a storage space accesssible from the outside...turns out to be...well nothing, just a painted piece of glass that you can’t see out of and makes the back seat more claustrophobic. Which brings us to the the useless third row seat...and I do mean useless there is not 1 “of legroom and I’m not exaggerating. The safari windows which really look like an afterthought...not big enough to see out of. The underwhelming tail lights...thought with all that’s going on back there there would be some cool features....nope all on or all off. The less that thought out cargo burlap cover/design and less overall cargo room compared to the older disco. I’d take the older disco and save a ton of $ and have better functionality.

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
HAHAHA! I remember back when the L405 was just released back in 2012-2013 and some were saying it looked like a Ford Explorer. I felt like Land Rover did a nice job with the L405 and I never felt like it resembled a Ford Explorer. I was in love with my L322 at the time but that love shifted over to the L405 the more I started seeing them on the streets.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
258 Posts
I like the platform and will likely purchase one - not much else our there is interesting. Waiting to see how many hit the US, and how they are received.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
669 Posts
The Defender Source crowd thinks it looks more like a Kia Soul.
I’m with some of the classic Defender owners in that if I should buy a new off-roader, I’m going Jeep Gladiator as Jeep hasn’t forgotten its heritage and knows it’s customers better than Rover does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: horse86

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've been waiting for the new Ford Bronco to come out....that's more up my ally but I'm a little biased bc my first vehicle was an 89 Eddie Bauer Bronco
2021 Ford Bronco...I think Ford did a great job on this one. I might have to cancel my order on the new Defender.

I knew you'd see it my way ;)

Reactions: W84IT

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ford literally has taken out the competition with this one drop. Bronco sport takes out the Defender and the 2-door/4-door takes out the wrangler. Bravo Ford

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Ford literally has taken out the competition with this one drop. Bronco sport takes out the Defender and the 2-door/4-door takes out the wrangler. Bravo Ford
I have to disagree with you...the Bronco Sport is actually in the same class as the Jeep Compass or Discovery Sport. The bigger Bronco is aimed at the Jeep Wrangler specifically. I think the Defender is in a class of it's own right now because it's actually bigger than the Wrangler and the Bronco and it's also a more sophisticated vehicle. The size of the Defender is actually a pretty close comparison to the full sized Range Rover. I've driven the Defender and I can assure you that it's a much better build quality than a top of the line Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and I'm willing to bet that it's a much better build quality than the Bronco will be. However, I do think the Bronco wins on looks/appearance and that price is awesome!

·
Registered
481 Posts
But wait until you drive the Broncos ;)

wait did you just put Land Rover and build quality in the same sentence heh

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
But wait until you drive the Broncos ;)

wait did you just put Land Rover and build quality in the same sentence heh
Yeah, I can't wait to drive the new Bronco! As far as the build quality of the Defender, it feels very solid inside and out and seems to have high quality materials throughout the cabin. Now we won't know how well those materials are put together until the Defender has been put through a few years of daily driving. So far, all the Land Rover vehicles that I've owned have been very solid vehicles built with high quality material. I've always loved the look of American vehicles over the foreign vehicles but the interior quality of the American vehicles was always a disappointment. If you don't get what I'm saying then please go test drive the new Defender and right after that go drive a new Jeep Wrangler. The Wrangler just feels cheap compared to the Defender. Anyway, from what I see in the photos of the new Bronco, I think the interior will be a lot better than the Wranglers interior.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've always thought the wrangler was/felt cheaply made...so wrangler was never in any sort of consideration for me personally.

·
Premium Member
2013 & 2016 L405's
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
The new Bronco is more comparable to the Wrangler when it comes to size...

2021 Land Rover Defender 110
DIMENSIONS

Height (in) 77.4
Length (in) 187.4 (Without spare wheel) | 197.6 (With spare wheel)
Width with mirrors folded (in) 79.1
Width with mirrors out (in) 82.9
Front wheel track (in) 67.0
Rear wheel track (in) 66.9

Wheelbase (in) 118.9

The new Defender is bigger than the Bronco and the Wrangler. Although I really like the look of the Bronco, I'm starting to think I will regret choosing it over the Defender. The ride quality in the Defender and the roomier interior just puts it in a different class from the Bronco and Wrangler. I think the new Defender will have to be compared to the Land Cruiser/LX 570...or maybe even the G-Wagon if Land Rover decides to do an SVAutobiography Defender.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts