RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020.5 Defender 110 P400HSE & 2016.5 L405 Range Rover HSE
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm sure some of you Classic Defender guys don't like it but I'm impressed with what Land Rover did with this new Defender. The 3.0 liter 6-cylinder engine is perfect for this vehicle...395hp and 406lb-ft...0-60 in 5.8 seconds. For those that don't like the new design, just wait and it will grow on you. I remember when the L405 was first revealed and a lot of folks didn't like the new design...I knew it was great from the start. This new Defender is now my favorite Land Rover vehicle next to the L405 so I hope to be able to own both soon.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
45 Posts
looks good!
if i get one it will be the explorer pack vs the urban pack

Reactions: W84IT

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looks good!
if i get one it will be the explorer pack vs the urban pack
That explorer pack does make it look more off road ready and aggressive but I don't go on off road adventures so that extra $4,300 for the explorer pack would be a waste of money for me.

·
Registered
364 Posts
WOW!

It looks really nice. I wonder how many of these will be on the road versus say a G wagon. Thats what I like about the original defender and the G wagon is that they were iconic timeless designs.

I feel this new defender will be seen everywhere like a discovery sport or something similar along those lines.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
WOW!

It looks really nice. I wonder how many of these will be on the road versus say a G wagon. Thats what I like about the original defender and the G wagon is that they were iconic timeless designs.

I feel this new defender will be seen everywhere like a discovery sport or something similar along those lines.
I don't think LR was targeting the G wagon with this new Defender. I actually feel like this new Defender is in a class of it's own. It will cost a bit more than the Jeep Wrangler which I think will be it's closest competitor. The G wagon will cost a lot more so I don't think that's a good comparison...unless LR decides to make an SVAutobiography Defender. If that happens then I think the G wagon will loose some customers. Overall, I think this new Defender has a lot of potential. I've definitely made my mind up to get one but I plan to lease for the first 2 years and then I should be able find a great deal on a gently used one.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just put in my order for the all new Defender...decided to go with the 110 HSE because the 110X is a little out of my budget. The salesman at my local LR dealer said that I missed out on the March delivery but my build would be on the list for the June delivery. I'm going to lease the 110 HSE for 24-36 months and after that I hope to find a gently used 110X to purchase outright for $55k or less.

Here's the link to my build...$77,914.22 total MSRP

·
Premium Member
1,321 Posts
I’m waiting till I can get a fully loaded X for pretty cheap. I have a feeling these will depreciate quickly..

I really do hope they eventually make an SVX version. Whatever V8 LR is using at the time and a lot of horsepower.

I have always been a classic And modern LR guy, and I do like this new Defender...but....LR should definitely have simply updated the old design and brought it back to the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
618 Posts
I completely agree. The original Defender has a timeless design and is recognized the world over. They should have taken a page from the Mercedes G wagon playbook and kept the overall exterior look of the vehicle unchanged and updated the powerplant and the interior.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're in the market for an original Defender with an updated powerplant and interior, check out this website...

I was considering going this route someday but I'm happy with the all new Defender and I think it's only going to get better as they develop on this new platform.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hey guys, the low coolant warning was showing on my '16 L405 so I decided to stop by the local LR dealer to have them check it out along with a few other things since the vehicle is still under factory warranty. Anyway, forget about that, here's the exciting part of my visit today. I walked over to the showroom and my old salesman walked up to me and...

Salesman: Hey Ray, did you see the new Defenders we just got in.
Me: No, but I would love to see them and maybe get a test drive in if possible.
Salesman: Of course you can but we only have 1 that we can let you test drive right now, the other 2 are already sold and ready to be delivered to the customers...the demo we have is a First Edition.
Me: Perfect...let's do it!

To make a long story short, the test drive was AWESOME! We went on about a 20 minute drive and I was very impressed with the new Defender. It rides really comfortable like a Range Rover but it sits up a little higher and has really good visibility from the drivers seat. I wanted to get more time in with it but the salesman was busy and there were 2 other people in line waiting to test drive it so I was considerate and figured I could just stop by again when the hype dies down. The salesman said that the Defender that I ordered probably won't get here until November or later. It's going to be a loooooooong wait now that I know what to expect. The Defender is the perfect ride if you're looking for something that's sturdy/rugged and luxury all in one. The new infotainment screen is very sharp and the sound system also seemed pretty good but I didn't really get to play with it much. Anyway, if you guys get a chance to stop by your local dealer and drive one then please post your thoughts here in this thread.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I still can’t get on board with this. Looks like a Ford Flex with a different front end and tail lights. Maybe if I see one in person but I doubt it. LR could have made a killing if they did a retro “style” looking defender with all updated tech. But go figure....it’s LR. They will probably neuter the new RR and put the rear end of the wanna be RR (velar).

I still love the boxy L322 style. If the defender would have came out looking Like a mix between that and the old defender...LR couldn’t take my money fast enough. Also with those looks would be a serious competitor to the Gwagon. Then the RR could be geared straight for Bentley/Royce competitor. But hey (insert Kermit meme)

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HAHAHA! I think you might change your mind once you see it up close and actually drive it. It's funny that you mention the L322 because that's the feeling that I got from the new Defender when I was driving it. It feels really solid and I think it's going to hold it's value over the years.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I guess I’ll have to see one in the flesh and maybe drive one. Going to take a lot to get Flex out of my head though haha 😉

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't see any Flex resemblance at all. If you look really close at it, they actually took a few design cues from the old Defender...

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've always liked the Disco 4 but never owned one. This is what the new Defender reminds me of.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've been waiting for the new Ford Bronco to come out....that's more up my ally but I'm a little biased bc my first vehicle was an 89 Eddie Bauer Bronco

Reactions: W84IT

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, that new Ford Bronco might be a hit as well. I've seen a few spy photos and it looks interesting. I don't think I would choose it over the Defender though.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I ended up with my AB by way of going to the dealer to order the defender... which was teetering over the 100k price point. I took a look around at what else I could actually get for similar money. Fully loaded couple year old AB in the exact color combo I'd have ordered myself. Was a no brainer. I'm going to revisit the defender when they've hit the used market in a couple of years as another weekend toy but the price for these things new is outrageous for what you're getting. I sort of understood the 90's defender price point given the very small number imported, but that isn't the case with this one.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Brad, I agree with you on the price point compared to the price of a gently used L405 AB...I probably would have made the same choice if I didn't already have 2 L405's. However, the new Defender feels like it doesn't need to be pampered like I do my L405's so it's clear that they built it for a different purpose. Although that still doesn't justify their pricing because a lot of people will be turned off and buy something like a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon instead. I think once the Defender hits the used car market, it will make more sense to purchase one in the $40k-$50k range...I just don't want to wait that long so I'm just going to do a 2 year lease on a 110 HSE and after the lease is up I will shop around for a used 110X.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Brad, I agree with you on the price point compared to the price of a gently used L405 AB...I probably would have made the same choice if I didn't already have 2 L405's. However, the new Defender feels like it doesn't need to be pampered like I do my L405's so it's clear that they built it for a different purpose. Although that still doesn't justify their pricing because a lot of people will be turned off and buy something like a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon instead. I think once the Defender hits the used car market, it will make more sense to purchase one in the $40k-$50k range...I just don't want to wait that long so I'm just going to do a 2 year lease on a 110 HSE and after the lease is up I will shop around for a used 110X.
Yeah it is certainly a different type of vehicle... I'd be interested to see what type of depreciation they see. My intention was to keep my 2009 full size and also add the defender to the garage. I ended up just replacing the l322 with the AB. Happy with the choice.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts