Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought the MAHLE Original OX 152/1D Oil Filter for my 2004 Range Rover with the BMW M62 motor, and installed it a few months ago along during my oil change.

The other day I noticed a huge leak underneath, I popped the hood open and noticed it was leaking from the oil filter area. HUGE mess all throughout the engine bay which will cost hundreds to detail, not to mention this means the truck has been running on low/very low oil and causing premature engine wear.

As you can see from the reviews of the oil filter here, it's a design defect due to MAHLE cheaping out on the o-rings:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004JBQ44W?tag=vs-auto-convert-amazon-20#customerReviews

My question is, do I have any chances of getting MAHLE to compensate me for the damage caused to my Rover (cleaning up the mess + premature engine wear)? Best/easiest methods to go about this?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
At any time did your oil pressure warning come on from low level? If not you had full oil pressure at all times you were running thus no premature wear. You would have to prove premature wear and that is simply impossible to justify on rig that is 14 model years old and never lost oil pressure.

Cost of clean up? It is not going to cost hundreds to clean up an oil leak... especially a fresh one. A gallon of Purple power can be had for under $10 and will do the job in under 30 minutes... most of which you can be having a cup of coffee while it works.

The long and short is this was an an inconvenience. No damage has been done.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm not reading the link, so can someone tell me how why the oil filter caused the leak? If it was the cap o-ring, I'm not buying it. The very first time I did an oil change on my 2004, I forgot to install the o-ring, there was an oil leak, but certainly not catastrophic.

As stated above, a gallon of degreaser, a spray bottle, and a garden hose should clean it out nicely unless you're anal.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
Apparently the ORing is not as thick as the factory ORing. Now when I do an oil change on any canister oil filter I always make sure the ORing is a proper fit and, if equipped, the sealing washer on bottom drop canisters is replaced or inspected.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I would send Mahle an Email and let them know what happened as a result of packaging the incorrect O ring.

As always with do it yourself mechanics you do have to pay attention to what your doing .

IOW your responsible for making sure the parts and operations your performing are proper

From the info provided the mechanic who was working on this truck was not paying attention to the details,
thus a failure occurred.

Also the operator of the truck needs to pay attention to the engine operation, this to be cognizant of any issues resulting from improper servicing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
Sorry, but the manufacturer should have not cheaped out by including a thinner o-ring (this was intentional). Read the reviews on Amazon- this is not an anomaly/isolated incident. When literally your entire business is making filters, you should not screw up/cheap out like this. So they are entirely to blame.

Not sure why you are defending the manufacturer and blaming me instead. It's unreasonable to expect someone to measure the thickness down to the millimeters between the old and new o-ring. This is a trusted name brand (at least used to be)- and you expect them to have quality parts to OEM specs.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
For one I fail to see how the ORing on a filter installed "a few months ago" manages to maintain a seal for months and then suddenly fails with such dramatic results.

As noted above, it is the responsibility of the DIY mechanic to inspect parts for being proper to the vehicle prior to installing them and proper procedures need to be followed.

So when you did your oil change, did you clean the ORing seat after removed the old one to ensure there was no contamination? Did you inspect the lid and canister for any damages on the sealing surfaces? Did you actually compare the new ORing to the old one? Was the new ORing loose in it's seat when installed? Most importantly, did you properly torque the lid to the canister? Any bit of grit, a twist or over tightening can deform and/or damage the ORing. With heating and cooling cycles any tiny little flaw can lead to a compromised seal.

The long and short is not that anyone is "defending" Mahle or blaming you. However there is a certain level of buck up, take your lumps and move on that needs to be addressed. This is nothing more than an unfortunate incident with no damages. This is also a 14 year old rig that had 120K miles when you purchased it two and a half years ago.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
322 Posts
I had a similar problem with a Volvo once - did the change, replaced the filter, torqued everything up per spec. Ran the car up to temp in the driveway and bingo, oil leak from the housing. At first I thought I had forgotten the o-ring (this was my first time with this style filter) - fortunately you can remove the filter without draining the oil (nice feature) - so I removed the filter and the o-ring was there, I put the previous filter (dealer fitted) o-ring back as it seemed to be in good shape. Leak was fixed and engine was cleaned up. Never bought that brand filter again - always bought the OEM one.

Sorry but never once did I think I should sue the manufacturer of the non-OEM filter. Good for you if you make progress with the manufacturer, but please heed the advice of the experts posting; correct torques and check for leaks as a normal part of the oil-change process.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I absolutely ran the motor after the oil change with the hood up, looking to make sure everything was normal, including the oil filter area.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Five Omar it might be a simple operation to swap in a filter on this truck,
but you still must pay attention to the details, question everything.

Making mistakes is something everyone does from time to time,
the trick is learning from it so its not repeated

When refitting an O ring i also use Dow Corning 111 on the rubber,
this keeps it soft .
I also verify that the old and new O ring sits proud of the slot its fitted too.

By holding the cap up to the light will show this.

NOTE when fitting a new filter,
remove the old filter, wipe out the cavity.

Important ...then place the new filter into canister and push it down some,
then fit the cap to the canister.

NOTE fitting the filter to the cap then installing it has led to chain rattle noises at startup.

fitting the filter as suggested results in the noise not being present YMMV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Making mistakes is someth
Please tell me what mistake you feel I made, not measuring the old and new o-rings with digital calipers? :?

I installed the filter properly and ran the Rover with the hood open after the oil change, inspecting everything including the oil filter area. It's possible the cold weather has exacerbated the issue with MAHLE's cheap/thin o-ring.

Are we all so emotionally battered by problems with Rovers that we blame ourselves instead of manufacturer's mistakes now?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,783 Posts
Well as you refuse to answer the various questions I have asked we have no clue if you covered your bases. If the ORing really were the initial issue it would have leaked "a few months ago". For it to be the root issue you should have noticed it being too loose right off.

No body has even brought up calipers so you can give that line a rest. You have been given several possibilities for what could have been wrong but you refuse to answer basic questions. If all of this drama was caused by an ORing being thinner you should have notice a poor fit when you installed it in it's seat in the cap.

It is obvious you have no real desire to troubleshoot this and all you want to do is blame Mahle based on a few vague reviews on the internet. Please note the 4 and 5 star reviews far outweigh the few negative 1 and 2 star reviews. You really need to move past this incident that is nothing more than an inconvenience. No damage has been done and there certainly is no need to be expecting compensation.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
322 Posts
Cold weather and o-rings; please don't mention that as i work for NASA.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
since I wasnt at the shop when the old O ring was swapped out and inspected prior to refitting,
I can only surmise this step was not performed as diligently as it could have been.

Otherwise buy a factory filter check the O ring fit, use some DC111 , clean off the spilled oil and drive the truck.
Send Mahle an E mail about the thin O ring

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
fiveomar,

You better call Saul, go to general hospital near campus in Phily, he is frequent over there. tell him the problem and He will take care of you. once He's done you will be able to buy new 405 and have Mahle provide you with life time free oil filters.`)

·
Registered
865 Posts
When I read the reviews they are mostly good?!? 3/5 isn't great, but doesn't constitute a design flaw. If this is the first time you have bought an inferior aftermarket part, then you are due for the learning experience. Put OEM parts on your car or take your chances. If you choose to "cheap out" with aftermarket parts, then you get what you pay for. Amazon especially is a roll of the dice. Anyone who has worked on their own cars has to go through this experience. So...sorry for your loss...but congrats on the rather cheap lesson!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.