RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone confirm 8 gals of DEF to fill the reservoir?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I think its 2 or 2.5 gallons. Owners manual has it. But they make you buy some special def containers to fill it up. You can use the big box one just pour it it slowly cause it spills out if you pour it in to fast.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ditto to 18 liters for the 2016 TD6 as well. FWIW, I just had mine filled by the dealer and the DEF indicator in "Vehicle Information" said 5,903 miles until refill. Stayed that way for a week so went back to the dealer who told me the DEF was full and I may well have 10,000 miles until a refill is needed but the indicator will stay at 5,903 until I've used enough for the liquid to fall below the sensor. It will then continue to drop from that point on and start issuing the low warning messages when needed. Think of it like a full fuel tank but the gauge won't show anything more than a half tank. Once your at a half tank or less the reading will be accurate. So far so good!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your responses. At $17.95 for one bottle, gets pricey. Guess Amazon is in my future for this.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can buy it at FCP Euro (reputable). But I buy the auto parts store and refill with the big jug. So cheap and easy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Curious if anyone uses Peak Blue Def? Our local RR dealer said that’s what they use it and there’s no need for the pricier stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
All DEF is the same formula, quality and age might vary. I had a problem with a box variety on my Touareg. I now use the 2.5 gallon jug from local Ford dealer, $15. Best to find a high turn over supply.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does Peak mate with the fill valve? I must say the OEM bottle makes it easy to fill

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry, one more question. How can you check the DEF level electronically on the dash. Seems I heard that is possible, but I am not smart enough to figure that out

·
Registered
122 Posts
You can get a mileage until refill under Vehicle Information, next service due but I've not found an actual DEF fluid level indicator. The DEF tank is a very weird shape that isn't conducive to having a "fuel tank" type of fluid level sensor.
For those wanting to buy non-dealer DEF, the Ad Blue bottle from the dealer has the proper fitting and the cap/mechanism can be unscrewed so you can refill with whatever DEF you like. The cap does have locking teeth so it's a little tough to get it off but I have been able to do it without damaging anything.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thank you. I will check the vehicle info panel. Found "approved" DEF with the proper fill top on Amazon for $50 for 4. Seems fairly reasonable.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ad Blue from Land Rover North Scottsdale, AZ was $14.47 per half gallon (1.89 liters) and also approved for Mercedes, VW/Audi, BMW, Peugeot/Citroen in addition to Jaguar/Land Rover.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mancerator, thank you. That is where I went to get 2 to keep me going. They charged me $16.14 pe

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can use DEF from any auto parts store...after 45k on a 2017 and 12k on a 2020 (and 70k on an X5d), I’ve done the drill many times.
For those wanting to buy non-dealer DEF...the cap/mechanism can be unscrewed so you can refill with whatever DEF you like. The cap does have locking teeth so it's a little tough to get it off but I have been able to do it without damaging anything.
The trick to this if you are having trouble is to pull off the small piece of weatherstripping next to it. Pops right off and back on when you’re done.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Clarification on what I meant. There is a small cap on the top of the AdBlue bottle that is removed prior to inserting the bottle in the DEF filler tank. Below that is a blue plastic valve mechanism that won't release fluid (or drip) until you screw the AdBlue bottle into the filler and press down. That blue portion has locking teeth where it's attached to the bottle but will unscrew. What comes off is the valve mechanism with a long plastic tube inserted into it that I assume is there to allow air to replace the DEF as it leaves the bottle. You could buy one bottle from the dealer and refill it with generic DEF and still have the convenience of the purpose-built filling mechanism. Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts