RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A connundrum has presented itself here at the LLT household!
Wife bought a '04 DII a couple of years back. Clean rig from California, so no rust issues.
We sold our wheeling rig with the idea of the DII replacing it.
Wheeled the DII with success, and beat on it kinda hard for a stock rig! New bumpers and sliders went onto it after the normal damage ensued.
I picked up a pair of 4.10 geared, FJ80 full locking axles for $1800, which is half the price of the overly expensive axle upgrade and lockers for a DII!
Idea was to build it with the 'Yota axles, put it on @35's, and go wheeling (rocks 99% of the time).
Well, heres the issue.....
We got given a '02 P38 with no motor, I have @$700 in it for shipping, thats it.
It's been messed with, so no telling what it needs from the interior, to the engine sensors etc. Not to mention a motor. It costs me quite a bit to build a great 4.6, but not out of the realm. It's on coils too.
Wife wants to build the P38 into something that looks like it came from Iceland!
My thoughts on the P38, that needs a motor anyways, is to drop a LSx into it, as well as the 4L60E. Adapt that to a LT230 from a DII, then that gets me the correct drop on the axles to throw the 'Yota axles under it. A fuel cell would handle the fuel tank issue. The interior can be made to be either stand alone (no Becm), or just do what I did with the '98 LSx powered Rover, tie it all in.
Yeah yeah yeah, the DII would be easier, but where's the fun in that??
Thoughts from the forum?

Martin

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disco as it sits right now
IMG_2620.JPG

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dude do it.. You clearly have the skills to build an awesome vehicle, bin all the electronic P38 systems. build a truck with simple reliability... But then it's not a 38a! do we care?? some might.

I put a Ford engine in a Vauxhall, /GM

You have put a Chevy engine in a Rover.

Keep the Disco as a school run and build a monster P38 rock crawler, mods don't matter then.

look forward to your build.

Mark

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could probably save 500lbs in weight by stripping wiring huh? ROFL

·
Premium Member
1,411 Posts
Happy wife, happy life...Iceland rig LS powered P38, what could beat that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now she's saying to put the 'Yota axles under the DII....... Go figure huh??:lol:
So got the extra crap off the axles (wiring for the lockers, brake lines, sway bars, etc) and slapped on a set of 6 lug Chevy wheels with mostly worn 31's on them, that I got for $200. Yep, 6x5.5 is the same as the FJ80 metric bolt pattern!
Going to blast them today with Purple Power and then pressure washer, then see what suspension I want to go with. Sticking with the Rover radius arms certainly isn't as "bling" as a true triangulated 4 link setup, but hell if they dont work pretty darn good! The FJ80 axles are already set up for radius arms front/ 4 link rear, so we'll see....

Martin

·
Registered
222 Posts
Keep the Disco, mod the hell out of the P38 would be my choice.
Big torquey engine, 'box to suit, divorced LT230, axles of choice and hit the rocks!
You know you really, really should do it like that......:wink:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regardless of what they go under, grinding down brackets after the plasma cutter SUCKS on 'Yota axles....
I've never seen an OEM use steel as thick as they did!

Martin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts