RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As recently posted in the P38 forum, I've had the BeCM losing sync with the ECM leaving me stranded, luckily on the driveway and not in the woods. To avoid this situation again I feel I have 2 choices. Purchase a syncmate or go the whole 9 yards and get a Faultmate.

The trouble is the computer world has somewhat passed me by. My working life has been the Navy (many years ago when we were still navigating by the stars) and for the last 20 years working for myself where my use of a computer involves monthly invoicing and the sending the odd e-mail :oops:

So I think I'll have no problem with a syncemate but could a computer 'numpty' like myself find his way around a Faultmate.
Any opinions on ease of use gratefully received.

Otherwise we might have to use option 3, sell the RR and go for something shiney and new(er) :naughty:

Thanks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well a syncmate is straight forward in that you simply plug in and it does the rest for you.But thats all it does.

If you buy a faultmate with standalone capabilites,it will read fault codes and reset them,but I dont think it will enable you to sync the Becm/ECM.I am sure someone will correct me if I am mistaken on that one/.

If you buy a single VIN faultmate then you will require a laptop to run it.
In this case,if you are not comfortable with pc,s then I suggest you stay away from ones that only have USB ports and not a true serial port and especially ones that have Vista as an operating system.Instead purchase an older Laptop,such as a Panasonic CF27 Toughbook running WIN 98 or 2000,which will have a Serial port.Use this as a dedicated RR diagnostic tool.You should be able to find one for around £60.

Anyway just my thoughts :think: Good Luck

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would have thought that a Becm/ECM resync would be within the capalbilities of a Faultmate and I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm one way or the other.
Its sods law that I've had an EAS Kicker in the glove box for quite a while and had no sign of an EAS fault in 3 years :pray:
Thats praying that I have not had a fault, and not that I do so I can try out my kicker.
Thanks for the info on the lap top by the way.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Hiya Victa550

Sorry i did not realise you was asking for a confirm as to if the Faultmate can do a re sync.
Yes it can. There is no magic single button, but it is real easy. You simply go into the engine management settings and read out the EMS code, then go into BeCM and read the settings, the EMS code should be the same, if not you change it to what it should be and write settings, then as endless people before you will discover the car now starts.

I will not comment on ease of use because i am obviously biased and i believe you were looking for independent opinion, but if you do have any problem or need any assistance we do provide all owners of our FAULTMATE equipment with access to our own specially provided technical support forums.

Colin

·
Registered
931 Posts
victa550 said:
I would have thought that a Becm/ECM resync would be within the capalbilities of a Faultmate and I'm sure someone will be along soon to confirm one way or the other.
Its sods law that I've had an EAS Kicker in the glove box for quite a while and had no sign of an EAS fault in 3 years :pray:
Thats praying that I have not had a fault, and not that I do so I can try out my kicker.
Thanks for the info on the lap top by the way.
Yes a faultmate will do a resync.What I meant was if you buy the less costly Extreme version(Read and Clear Fault Codes Only (RCFCO)) ,which does not have to be connected to a PC,then I dont think it will do a resync.Colin please could you verify or not? :?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your input Colin and glad to see you are backing your product 100%. Opinions seem mostly favourable about the Faultmate on the forum. Having worked in a service industry myself for the last 20 years I know how hard it is to please all the customers all the time.
I would have gone for a diagnostic system a couple of years ago but I really did not think I would keep my RR this long. And like a lot of members on the forum, I have invested so much time, effort and a whole load of cash in her, to give her away now would be unforgivable.
As soon as its confirmed that a resync is the problem (resyncing on Friday hopefully) I'll be in the market for new toys for the Rangie and more grief from the T&S(wife)

·
Registered
520 Posts
John W
Quite right chap, thanks, the RCFCO will not do a re sync at all and a Full EXTREME will need to be connected to a PC to do it, as stand alone capabilities extend only to reading and clearing fault codes.

Victa550
Thank you most heartily for your kind words of understanding and support, I really do try most hard under all circumstances, which at times can be most difficult, and for sure i am by no means whatsoever, someone that could be described as a wealthy man. I treat others as i would like to be treated and try to be as fair and understanding as i can be.

Accordingly, If you do decide to go for full extreme SV system SV225 i will offer you two things.
First, a refund on your Kicker, based on current day prices, which have probably fallen slightly since you bought it, but if you take that loss, i will take the new to used loss.
An extreme will definately look nicer in your glove box and would do the same job really. Alternatively you could sell it here on the board :think:

Second i will give you a 10% discount on the cost of the SV225 kit as well.

I hope that makes you smile and gives you adequate answer to any grief from the Trouble & Strife.

·
Registered
520 Posts
BTW, sods law dictates that had you not had an EAS Kicker in the glove box that you would have probably had endless trouble with the EAS system. :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,725 Posts
BBS SPY said:
I hope that makes you smile and gives you adequate answer to any grief from the Trouble & Strife.
Colin, are you wililng to extend this statement onto those customers you have left hanging and are waiting in the wings?

Given that your product forums are completely out of bounds and forbidden territory for anyone interested in your products, it seems very unfair for such prospective clients to base their purchase decisions on limited information and your biased, glowing reports. Although it is very true that no person or company can please everyone all of the time. There does seem to be a growing cluster of your customers frustrated by the quality issues they have experienced with your products. For those left shelling out monies to a dealership or independant because your equipment has failed in the field, it'd be nice to see real time information made available to those outside of your priviledged forums.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts