RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched and read most of the newer threads on this and it seems they are all specific to highway speeds or hitting bumps ect.. i have no such issues, but i do get that horrible violent wobble from the front end when braking, and especially braking when towing my boat. Its been getting worse and worse and im a bad RR owner so ive put off looking into this, but now im sick of it as its summer-time and the boat needs a towin!! My first assumption was warped rotors, so i was considering the sale the AB has on right now ( 349 for all rotors and pads ect..) But before i go off half cocked, i thought it fish for some opinions and other ways to test for parts that may be culprit. Wheel bearings, tie rods ect... Again, only when braking to i get this wicked death shudder.

( also, i put new pads and had the rotors turned about 2000 miles ago)

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
The brakes are a good place to start. From my experience (3rd Rover) and from reading these forums it's seems as though it's usually a combination of two components, first you need to cause the wobble (out of balance tire, prop shaft, warped disc, and so on) but to get a true death wobble you also need worn out dampeners (shocks, tie rods, ball joints, bushings, and so on). Some people get away with just changing the dampers, like the shocks or the tie rods which masks the problem but does not necessarily correct the cause of the vibration. Then again sometimes that's good enough since the vibration could have been small to begin with and felt large because it was amplified through a worn out parts. BTW, I'd be looking for worn ball joints and bushing in you front end.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like your Rotors mine did the same thing and was corrected after that as far as breaking is concerned.But now its doing it again and at low speeds so off to the garage again to have my front end looked at.In the end Ferret pretty much said it all his advice is right on.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i Guess the question is " is this TRUE death wobble" or just something like it? Because again, this occurs only when braking, and it seems no one else that ive read has had this wobble specifically when braking, just at high speeds or when cornering ect... Unless im mistaken, which is a distinct
possibility.. : )

Either way, i will start with the brakes... new rotors are absolutely in order... any advice on doing just part of the system ( new rotors but keep the new-ish pads) OR just get the kit and do it ALL....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
.....also (wouldn't let me edit...)

The wheels and tires are nearly brand new, and professionally mounted and balanced.. maybe 200 miles on them- so i think we can take those out of the equation especially since the problem existed long before the new steelies and tires. Other than that, is there a good way to self diagnose the cause of the wobble?

·
Premium Member
1,357 Posts
endneu913 said:
Ive searched and read most of the newer threads on this and it seems they are all specific to highway speeds or hitting bumps ect.. i have no such issues, but i do get that horrible violent wobble from the front end when braking, and especially braking when towing my boat. Its been getting worse and worse and im a bad RR owner so ive put off looking into this, but now im sick of it as its summer-time and the boat needs a towin!! My first assumption was warped rotors, so i was considering the sale the AB has on right now ( 349 for all rotors and pads ect..) But before i go off half cocked, i thought it fish for some opinions and other ways to test for parts that may be culprit. Wheel bearings, tie rods ect... Again, only when braking to i get this wicked death shudder.

( also, i put new pads and had the rotors turned about 2000 miles ago)

Thanks!
You're not alone with thins problem. :?
Prue haas had the same on and off since I got her, typically a non-dampened wobble when braking at higher speeds (around 100kph). The previous owner was convinced it was the bearings, but I can feel no play whatsoever and when one of the bearings on Piper needed changing, the braking remained perfect and only steering was affected.
I changed rotors and pads about 20k/2.5 years ago, along with the steering damper. At first the wobble seemed to disappear (altough not completely), then last year the front end started to feel unstable, so I replaced the radiusarm bushings. It seemed better, but now that the car is being used more often, it looks like it is reappearing, at a lower speed of about 70kph and only when applying the brakes.
I have a new set of rotors (EBC crossdrilled and grooved) ready, but have been putting it off as I'm not convinced the rotors are to blame.

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

There are al lot of places, where this problem could have it's routs in.

There are 4 different joints on the front axle,
4 joints on track rods,
6 bushes on radius arms,
2 bushes on panhard rod,
2 bushes on steering damper,
4 bushes on dampers,
2 dampers,
steering damper.

These are the places apart from brake rotors and wheels, that could have serious impact on your driveability.

If they are all 95% OK, you can calculate how bad it can get combined.

P.S. Is the surface, on which the brake rotor is attached, clean and straight?

Kind regards,
Peter

·
Registered
541 Posts
I wouldn't call it true "death wobble," no, since you have some control over it by releasing the brakes. But that's just semantics.

First - do the rotors and certainly you must replace the pads as well, even though they are not that old. If they have been riding on a warped rotor, then they are stuffed and you'll score your new rotors, and/or you'll have poor braking performance. If you tow this is a real safety problem as you already know. Pads are relatively cheap, so I guess you could say i'm firmly in the "do it all" crowd. Note, i did get a nice deal on Proline rotors/pads all the way around from Rovers North and they have been great. Not that AB isn't a great vendor too, just saying there are options.

Second - I agree with ferret. Also check your swaybar bushings/end links. Also examine your caliper sliders, if one is seized up it could contribute to the problem.

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Steering shake when you brake is usually brake rotors/disc's or a buckled rim.

I see this problem all to often and cheap rotors/dics are to blame...shall I say inferior Britpart, All makes, Bearmach etc......

I now only fit ALPHA, ATE or Ferodo brake disc's, the Lockheed pads are usually ok

1 - 9 of 9 Posts