RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In my '05 HSE, the CD's stuck in the changer (why exactly doesn't this have a good old fashion front loader in addition??), changer unresponsive and won't eject carrier. And at the same time my audio controls on the steering wheel have stopped responding. When you stack that on the back of the lack of portable mp3 player integration, you really have to ask yourself "why put a sub-par entertainment system into a vehicle that claims to be luxury?" HAHA seriously, Hyundai's now come with better systems.

So, what are my options here? I guess I am going to remove the changer, open it up and extract the carrier. The steering wheel control buttons are suspiciously coincidental.

Thoughts?

How do you email the attachment "kick in the balls" to the LR entertainment system team? :twisted:

·
Administrator
27,821 Posts
without a location in your profile and year and model in your siggy there really isn't much we can do to help you out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
without a location in your profile and year and model in your siggy there really isn't much we can do to help you out.
updated and fixed. I forget about signatures because I always turn all that crap off in my forum view.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
888 Posts
Your comparing a 2005 to 2012 system? There probably aren't any 2012 systems out there that are worse than any 2005 system. The technology gains in the last seven to eight years are tremendous.

Not only is the technology different, your 2005 system is USED! I suspect besides the drive train, the entertainment system is the next most used system (well, maybe the hinges on the driver door is also used a lot). The radio/tape/cd/nav is always on and making noise when I'm driving.

Your options are really varied and depend on what you want in a system and how much you want to spend. You can go from a simple Panasonic double-din replacement (which will give you everything you have now except for steering wheel controls) for about $1,500 with a custom installation to a full custom system spending as much as you want, including the CarPC.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can go from a simple Panasonic double-din replacement (which will give you everything you have now except for steering wheel controls) for about $1,500 with a custom installation to a full custom system spending as much as you want, including the CarPC.
I don't mean to disagree with you mate, but I've had plenty of cars that were mid-2000's and they had plenty of functionality for the things we all complain about on here like iPod integration. Hell I wrote my own iPod controller on Arduino and it was only a few hundred lines of code! I guess I am just surprised at the poor layout of the whole system. *shrug* seems like it would be pretty trivial to reserve some IO bus bandwidth in the device for future expansion. The thing I sorta don't want to loose by an after-market installation is the vehicle management screen for setting and changing things. :?

However, I digress - i'm still stuck with the Clarion CD changer carrier stuck and volume buttons that are non-operational. Are the two linked? Also, if I have to replace the changer, can I use any CeNET changer or is it a custom interface to the changer so I have to buy that specific one?

I've got some threads now from the forum about removing the carier since it warps, and also about how to remove it. Sadly, apparently in the vBulletin migration, many of the links to photos and links to other threads weren't correctly migrated. It happens. It's usually a result of the SEO stuff in the vB version. Oh well... stuff to try when I get home!

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
888 Posts
I don't mean to disagree with you mate, but I've had plenty of cars that were mid-2000's...
Well, you may be correct, but my wife's 2005 Lexus LX430 has the best they had back then, and it still has the cassette and no iPod port. So, I'm not surprised that my 04 and your 05 do not.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If the CD is stuck in the changer you can try the hit the green button and whack the CD magazine with a screwdriver handle method outlined in older threads. As far as the steering controls I do not know how to figure that one out. If the magazine sounds like it wants to eject, but does not, then the screwdriver handle will work.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, you may be correct, but my wife's 2005 Lexus LX430 has the best they had back then, and it still has the cassette and no iPod port. So, I'm not surprised that my 04 and your 05 do not.
Whoa! our '03 BMW 325 had CD, 6-disk changer, and when we bought it we added iPod support to it for my wife. Crazy how fast that stuff changes from brand to brand.

However with much fanfare and head scratching I arrived home last night and walked out to the RR only to discover that somewhere in between driving it last and last night the carrier had ejected itself and the steering wheel buttons have all regained functionality. Apparently there is some connected logic between the functionality of the changer and the audio control buttons on the wheel. Oh well. I think I will disassemble the changer anyway and see if the locking mechanism can't be modified for better operation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts