Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently had my rover in the dealership for a fuel leak and other warranty repair work. While there, one of the technicians backed into my car and completely smashed the front driver side door. The funny thing is my SA wouldn't return my phone calls after calling multiple times and leaving multiple voicemails (honestly think they were trying to repair it before I could find out about it). So I finally went up there this weekend to try and get an update and he tells me they wrecked my car.. They had to order a brand new door to replace it and I'm probably going to have to wait a while. My question is what do y'all think is a reasonable request for my troubles?

Picture does not do it justice, it's a lot worse looking in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hmm well a hire/courtesy car FOC of a similar spec whilst yours is being repaired and 50% off your next service perhaps? That's if you dare take it there again?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
60 Posts
finally went up there this weekend to try and get an update and he tells me they wrecked my car..
These things have parking sensors standard now and days.. seriously how do you screw up something that bad? Extra points for them not returning your calls about how your vehicle is doing in their care.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
1,382 Posts
It depends how far you think you can push them for some free swag.

From the start since it will be going into body shop and they are replacing door so it will probably get a fender and rear door blend. You can absolutely ask them to do a complete detail and reconditioning, interior and exterior at no charge for damaging the vehicle.

Make sure you have a decent loaner or good rental while your vehicle is in their care for the repairs at their cost.

If you want to press further you may get a next oil change free or you cold see about getting a discount voucher for future service to keep your business and have you return in the future.

If you were by chance considering buying a new vehicle, this situation gives the absolute best oppurtuniy for negotiation. They will be very courteous and make a better deal to make you happy and keep you in the family. All of these depend how hard you want to push and what bridges your willing to risk breaking down.

·
Premium Member
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
927 Posts
These things have parking sensors standard now and days.. seriously how do you screw up something that bad? Extra points for them not returning your calls about how your vehicle is doing in their care.
The technician might not have been driving a car with sensors. Could have been his own car.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
480 Posts
Doesn't matter how he did it or why. You need a loaner, free service for that visit, and guarantee that the body shop matches colors perfectly. Today, a good shop will make it look like new in just a few days. But be sure the colors match.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would be really pissed. The car will now have a ding on the Carfax and will impact the resale value. Also, no paint job is as good as the factory job since they can't bake it on the same way. I personally would ask them to work on getting you a different car and take yours at trade and do it at no profit for them.

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
I would be really pissed. The car will now have a ding on the Carfax and will impact the resale value. Also, no paint job is as good as the factory job since they can't bake it on the same way. I personally would ask them to work on getting you a different car and take yours at trade and do it at no profit for them.
Total and utter bull plop. Carfax only reports damages if an insurance or police report is filed. If dealerships reported damages then a great deal of owners would have Carfax "dings" for transit repairs, shipping damages and items found during PDI. As far as the paint it will be fine. We are talking about an older rig that has already had the brunt of depreciation. This really is not that big of a deal and there will be no impact to resale with a proper repair.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Total and utter bull plop. Carfax only reports damages if an insurance or police report is filed. If dealerships reported damages then a great deal of owners would have Carfax "dings" for transit repairs, shipping damages and items found during PDI. As far as the paint it will be fine. We are talking about an older rig that has already had the brunt of depreciation. This really is not that big of a deal and there will be no impact to resale with a proper repair.
I have always gotten loaners (or rental cars if loaners are unavailable) for free ever since i have brought my car here so thats already given before this mess. My SA assured me that this will not be reported to carfax. I emailed him asking to throw in my 75k service for free, but no response yet.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
1,990 Posts
I would ask them for loss of value. Remember it's their fault. With loss of value, about $5-10k, it covers the difference in trade in vs retail. They might ask you to trade your vehicle for a new one unless you're a fan of the L320.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts