1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully some of you reach this in time. Here is my situation

Purchased my RR sport 07' 1 month ago.
Front pads were changed by an independant indy shop, rears were never changed.

On June 10, 2008, Land Rover of Parsippany replaced rear parking shoes and disc/adjusting as well, b/c of rubbing and smoking.

Today, Dec. 14, 2009, BRAKE SENSOR DID NOT GO ON, and pads ate through into the ROTOR.

I planned on re-using the rotor, as it has not been worn to the effect where it needed to be replaced (I'm experienced in this field for quite some years, it wasn't necessary), but these brake pads RUINED them. I was driving home in steptronic trying not to brake under any circumstances.

Now, in my opinion, it is LR's fault that the BRAKE PAD SENSOR did not turn on! They must of messed something up during the parking break labor, and damaged it. I would have changed bakes immediately upon sensor warning, but nothing had turned on even though i saw them low.

Currently, money is very tight unfortunately, and I don't believe its ethically correct for me to spend $ on brand new rotors, because LAND ROVER messed up the brake sensor, or that it even didn't light up. This is not my problem. I would have easily replaced once it lit up, and they ate through the metal and damaged everything.

Please let me know what course of action I should take. I plan on calling and really emphasizing responsibility and safety on the dealership, s it was not my problem that the sensor did not turn on.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
Flash,
Sorry about your misfortune but I'm gonna go out on a limb here make an observation or two.

1. Driving around with rear pads digging into the rotors while you prove an ethical point w the dealership is probably not a good idea. Rear rotors are relatively cheap in the scheme of things, so ante up and get that fixed ASAP.
2. You seem to be more concerned about upgrading the tailights to '10 specs, than performing routine maintenance on the car. Yeah, changing the brake fluid, flushing the coolant, changing brake pads and air filters, etc., is pretty boring stuff. Everybody wants to mod up their cars on this forum, but half of you guys couldn't tell the coolant expansion tank from the brake fluid reservoir.

If you are going to own a car be it a LR or Hyundai, learn when to take of the basic stuff and assume the idiot lights (pad wear indicators included) are just that...for idiots. This will be a good learning experience.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
I'll add a couple things:

Out of four brake pads in the rear, there is just one sensor (inboard pad on the passenger side.) If everything was hunky dory and the pads wore out evenly - as they normally do - the sensor should have been triggered when the pads were about 75% worn. But sometimes it doesn't work that way. Perhaps because of the parking brake problem they fixed last year, those pads may have worn unevenly. The sensor may have shifted in the pad itself, not necessarily because of something the dealer did. Or maybe the brake warning light in the instrument cluster is defective, who knows. Either way, on a used 2007 where the front pads have already been replaced once and the rears have never been touched - what's the mileage on the car, anyway? - first thing to do when you buy it would be to check the conditions of brakes, fluids, all vitals. Especially since it sounds like you didn't purchase a CPO. I wouldn't wait for the sensor to be triggered on the front pads, either. In my experience with the RRS, front pads wear almost twice as fast as front ones, and while YMMV you should get those checked right away as it may be time again... My front ones were recently replaced with about 10-15% life left. No sensor was ever triggered.

Also, the brake discs on the Sport - both front and rear - are notoriously paper-thin. Even if you replace pads religiously with plenty of life left, you would be lucky to get the same set of discs to outlive two, maximum three changes of pads. They will still wear beyond the minimum allowable thickness eventually, or get glazed, etc. You might be able to turn them over maybe once, that's it. It sucks that you need new ones but it's only brakes in the end, and with a little luck a new set of rear discs and pads may stop the annoying squeal at low speed that all RRS owners sooner or later experience back there. :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gooseyloosey said:
Flash,
Sorry about your misfortune but I'm gonna go out on a limb here make an observation or two.

1. Driving around with rear pads digging into the rotors while you prove an ethical point w the dealership is probably not a good idea. Rear rotors are relatively cheap in the scheme of things, so ante up and get that fixed ASAP.

2. You seem to be more concerned about upgrading the tailights to '10 specs, than performing routine maintenance on the car. Yeah, changing the brake fluid, flushing the coolant, changing brake pads and air filters, etc., is pretty boring stuff. Everybody wants to mod up their cars on this forum, but half of you guys couldn't tell the coolant expansion tank from the brake fluid reservoir.

If you are going to own a car be it a LR or Hyundai, learn when to take of the basic stuff and assume the idiot lights (pad wear indicators included) are just that...for idiots. This will be a good learning experience.
1- - i was 20 miles away from home, after a 4 hr trip.The moment it crunched, i got out b/c i had a feeling of what had happened. I ended up driving the whole way home, touching the brakes maybe twice. using steptronic mode the entire way to avoid braking on the parkway. I parked the car, and am not moving it until its concrete what needs to be done.

2. Ive been around maintaining cars my whole life. I own a 1990 e30 bmw racecar ,and brake fluid reservoir's and expansion tanks and everything are of instinct to me. My 2004 ; $20,000 bmw had more reliable brake sensors, thats why im shocked i need to be concerned about a brake sensor rather than more important maintenance issues on a $65,000 Range.

I was aware of the pads being a bit low, but not for a brake sensor to fail on a 28,000 mile car. Thats embarrassing honestly

-- ty umbertorob for insightful info.

and Q; i dont understand how its my fault the sensor didn't trigger. Its LR's, and only LR's fault this light didn't come on. Either the dash is defective, or they screwed something up. Regardless of the issue, its not my problem. End of story.

Arguing with these guys is the last thing it'll come to. If trying to solve what happened doesn't work, i can change the whole set w new rotors by sundown since i already have these pads ordered (yes ive been waiting to do this until the light came on.) 4 hr trip must have killed them.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Fatal Flash said:
and Q; i dont understand how its my fault the sensor didn't trigger. Its LR's, and only LR's fault this light didn't come on. Either the dash is defective, or they screwed something up. Regardless of the issue, its not my problem. End of story.
Preventative maintenance, means you check things before they get to the stage
where red or amber lights light up on your dashboard.
I've never left my maintenance shedule to be dictated by dashboard lights.
There can be a multitude of reasons it didn't come on, but it should never need
to come on. :wink:

·
Registered
468 Posts
q-rover said:
Preventative maintenance, means you check things before they get to the stage
where red or amber lights light up on your dashboard.
I've never left my maintenance shedule to be dictated by dashboard lights.
There can be a multitude of reasons it didn't come on, but it should never need
to come on. :wink:
Fine if you know what to look for etc. If I spent 65k on a car I'd expect the **** thing to do its own preventative maintenance, in fact for that money I'd expect it to wash itself too. Most drivers wouldn't have the faintest clue what a brake pad looks like, let alone how it works. If the owners manual in a 2yr old 65k car told me the dash would warn me when my brakes were about to lunch out then I'd be seriously snakey if the warning lights failed.

I can pick out a new faint rattle and it'll bug the bejesus out of me until I track it down and sort it. My wife could have the entire exhaust system evaporate and she would continue driving completely unphased.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Fatal Flash said:
4 hr trip must have killed them.
:doh: Obviously not getting through here

rogan said:
Fine if you know what to look for etc. If I spent 65k on a car I'd expect the **** thing to do its own preventative maintenance, in fact for that money I'd expect it to wash itself too.
I can't imagine what a $100K car would have to do for you... :D

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Do you wait untill the oil pressure light comes on before checking the oil for a long journey?

You should buy a BMW X6, they don't even have a dipstick. Just a menu in the information
centre so you can ask if the oil level 'Is OK'?
You can't tell if it's 10cc above minimum even, no level indication, just 'OK' :doh:

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
q-rover said:
Do you wait untill the oil pressure light comes on before checking the oil for a long journey?

You should buy a BMW X6, they don't even have a dipstick. Just a menu in the information
centre so you can ask if the oil level 'Is OK'?
You can't tell if it's 10cc above minimum even, no level indication, just 'OK' :doh:
q, are you sitting down for this?

Its a major gripe of mine...but the new RRS, is also dipstick-free.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gooseyloosey said:
I can't imagine what a $100K car would have to do for you... :D
i mean...our bmw M6 has fully functioning sensors that are 99% reliable, the car is at 35k miles and only has 50% brake wear, and oh...bmw replaces them for free..same goes for a $30,000 128i.

there are plenty of housewives who drive these cars and wouldn't know a **** thing as the other poster stated, brake sensor is brake sensor. My manual say it will warn me, end of story.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^i know for a fact if anything happened, bmw would change everything and smile ear for ear after. I even had my spiral wire changed in my steering column at 49.8k miles (200 before end of warantee) because it slightly creaked when it was cold out. I have the same issues with the sport right now in the morning, and i highly doubt LR would even contemplate changing it at 30k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts