RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard from a friend that his dealership replaced his worn steering wheel under warranty to the new 09 style. I figured id give it a try at my own since it looked like my leather was melting. They said that they are no longer putting the older style steering wheels on RRS & LR3 for warranty so if you waited til now to get it fixed the 09 style is much nicerand its the only option. It has a feel similar to the smoothness of the lux seats. Ill take a pic tomorrow but its much nicer than the old style. Obviously some dealerships may be sticklers but the ones out here who are hurting for service business will replace that anything else they can find under warranty.

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
5,175 Posts
lakbum said:
Got any pics what a worn steering will have to look like to get it replaced by the dealership?
R u thinking what I think your thinkin?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
61 Posts
I just had mine replaced and it was the smooth leather that was worn and they replaced with the grainy leather. Really didnt think much about it until I read this thread.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just had mine replaced about a month ago too ..... When I said the steering wheel was worn down she told me that I would have to word it differently to get mine replaced. IHer suggestion was to say that the steering wheel was warped.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,470 Posts
Just be sure to use the following phrase:

My steering wheel is delaminating...

Your SA will know immediately and issue a new one ASAP.

·
Registered
67 Posts
replaced with the new soft leather and a matching refrigerator leather lid due to broken cheap plastic latch....

·
Registered
136 Posts
got mine replaced today. i really love this site. if it wasn't for this forum i wouldn't be armed with the right information. knowledge = power :dance:

dealership was very responsive and helpful. no issues at all. thanks all!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree. If it wasn't for this site, I wouldn't know where to turn. I've just have my steering wheel replaced at Cerritos without any questions asked. I just informed him that my steering wheel was delaminating and voila, done. One issue though, as I was driving home, I noticed that the steering wheel was not properly set correctly, meaning that when driving straight, steering wheel was off to the right. I'll have them correct that on my next service. Cheers guys.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
I just got my new sterring wheel too. It does feel really nice - does look like rubber till you "feel" it.

The steering is a nice soft leather, they replaced the center where the airbag is located as well, however this has the same grain type leather as the old wheel and dash. Looks like a mis-match.

Think I need to get a set of driving gloves for this steering wheel :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Is replacing the steering wheel a DIY job? was thinking about getting the wood/leather one....but I dont want to pay some ridiculous amount for the stealer to install.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,470 Posts
Unfortunately not a DIY unless you have the special long thin curved tool which is needed to unhitch the airbag without it exploding in your face. The 4 screws on the back come off first, then the hook inserted on both sides of the wheel, then the main nut, after which you have to properly align the new steering wheel and reconnect the switches. Shouldn't be an expensive job, an indy shop could do it for you in 15 minutes if they've pulled a wheel off before.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not understanding this. worn? i havent noticed any problems with my steering wheel on my 06RRS. Should i have them do this to avoid future problems?

::

·
Registered
121 Posts
Im assuming they will do the same for the Range Rover too. I have an 06 that is worn in a few spots but didnt think it was eligible for warranty. The wheel in the pic doesnt look that bad. Do you have any other pics of the old wheel so we know what to look for?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am having mine replaced (not put on yet, they had to order it) and mine was barely showing any signs of wear. I told them that I didn't want it to get progressively worse in the future and the service advisor said they would take care of it no problem. So I guess it depends on the dealership on how bad it needs to be before getting replaced, but it seemed like she knew what was coming when I said "de-laminating" haha

and don't forget to get the peeling airbag cover replaced too if you haven't already

·
Registered
121 Posts
I guess im having a hard time seeing the "de-laminating" part based on the pics provided. I will still attempt it with my dealer though since the leather on my 06' has a shiny worn look even though I always clean it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts