RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey every, new here; mostly just read without posting but I currently have a 16 RRS V8 and its been making a weird squealing sound from the front ( kind of like a worn pads sound but to me it seems like it could be something else). The car was already at the dealer for a bad fuel sending unit so I had them check the noise and they come back and tell me I need new rotors and new pads all around. quoted about 2k for the job, needless to say I told them that it cannot possibly be the brakes at 18k miles because I've had multiple other cars with brembos upfront and even in the back and none of my cars needed pads let alone rotors at this stage. I'm thinking they are either misdiagnosing the issue or there is a factory default from the front brakes, just want to see if anyone has had issues with their brakes this early in the game.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
You have a couple things to consider. Land Rover brake pads are notoriously soft by design. They provide shorter stopping distances for aggressive drivers... thus they wear faster. You may very well need pads this soon.

Dealers replace rotors as a money maker and always state they need to be replaced. Don't know where you are located, but you should find yourself a LR independent shop for a second opinion and to change out your pads. Depending on your wheel style you should be able to see your rotors and feel the edges. If they are smooth with no lip they do not need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
50 Posts
Hello V8RRS. I have experience owning Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc and concur with RRToadHall's observations about soft pads and likely soft rotors that provide great braking but are short lived. Not uncommon for any of those German makes to have at least fronts replaced every 20-25K miles and never with an offer to turn the rotors, only replace them. Usually runs $900-$1,200 just for fronts for non-exotic components. I also have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 4x4 with off-road and towing packages that I believe resulted in "heavy duty brakes" that appear to include over-sized rotors. I currently have 58K miles on the original pads and rotors and the rotors show no signs of surface grooves or ridges at the outer edge. That said I also noticed they have never responded like brakes on the Mercedes, BMW etc seeming to need additional pedal pressure for similar stopping scenarios. Some on the Jeep Forum claim up to 100K miles before needing brake work so we'll see...My 2018 V8 Range Rover Sport V8 has noticeably large front rotors (front calipers barely clear the inside of the stock 20" wheels) but not enough miles (about 600) to have any sense of how long they will last. I suspect when the time comes the dealer will specify new rotors as well as pads for the reasons previously stated as well as in an "abundance of caution" to avoid potential liability claims.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
7 Posts
Had to replace fronts (only) after 25K miles on our JGC SRT with Brembos. And that's 800 or 900 lbs. lighter. Regardless, after 18K miles, unless you're extremely heavy on the brakes with constant spirited driving, VERY unlikely your rears are gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had a few light German cars that needed a brake job every 20k and I've had other cars that had brakes last forever. I have a 2015 Dodge Durango now with almost 60k on original brake pads and rotors with miles to go. I also have a 2016 RRS MY that needed a brake job at 18k. I entirely agree that the German cars stopped faster with less brake pressure...it is nice. I also agree that everyone will tell you you need new rotors when you probably do not. Go somewhere honest, check for reviews online, and see if they will turn the rotors and replace the pads. Research for yourself online what pads to buy. There are high performance, not long lasting pads. There are longer lasting, less performance pads. You decide. If you have brembo brakes, probably stick with OEM pads. Hope this is a little helpful. The RRS is nice. Frequent brake jobs suck but you drive a performance vehicle that will perform with maintenance.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Around 20k miles for front brake replacement is consistent with my experience as well. 2014 RRS V8 Autobiography.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'd say -- it sucks -- but it's normal. I drove my old 2010 V8 SC like it's a 911, and go through full sets of brakes on the car every 2 years, about 20-25K with city driving. My current L494, I'm expecting the same.

I did brakes on my old one 4 times on the front in 110K miles, 3 times on the rear. Pads/rotors, all of it.

You may be fine on rear.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I am currently replacing my original pads and rotors @ 52K miles. 2014 RRS daily driver. All 4 discs are heavily scored and the rear wear indicator just popped. Front pads still have approx 30% of life left on them.

Replacing myself with LR (Brembo) rotors and ceramic pads from Powerstop (to reduce brake dust). Parts cost $600, misc materials ~$25.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am currently replacing my original pads and rotors @ 52K miles. 2014 RRS daily driver. All 4 discs are heavily scored and the rear wear indicator just popped. Front pads still have approx 30% of life left on them.

Replacing myself with LR (Brembo) rotors and ceramic pads from Powerstop (to reduce brake dust). Parts cost $600, misc materials ~$25.
Wait, what? How in the world did the fronts last longer than the rear. That is very odd.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Not sure, but I'll take a better look when I pull them apart.

Outside of a system failure, the only other thing I can think of is the ESC. The system applies individual brakes to stabilize the car... maybe its the way I drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts