RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently went into the dealer for my second oil change at 18,500 miles. They had also done the first oil change at 8k miles. When I called to schedule the oil change they indicated I need an annual service. I asked the cost and it was a little over $800. I asked what that involved and it was pretty basic stuff as one might expect. I kindly told them I had just installed new winter tires on the vehicle so a tire rotation was not necessary. I let them know I would change the air filter in the cabin and planned on picking up the filter during my visit. The rest seemed to me to be visual inspections which I knew they would do during oil change regardless. So I asked they please just schedule me for a basic oil change. I went and picked up my filter and paid the $225 for the oil change. Went on my way and noticed later that my service indicator had not been reset on the dash. No biggie. A few days later they send a text asking about my experience. Rather than responding to the corporate surveys I decided to just respond to the service advisors text. I indicated that they had forgotten to reset my service indicator. Expecting her to respond that I should just stop by at my convenience she instead let me know that only if I did all of the factory recommended service with them would they then reset the service indicator. I wasn't left with a great feeling from that interaction. Thanks to this great forum I was able to do a quick search and found the below instructions that seems to have done the job in resetting interval.

- Set the ignition to the ON position.
- Open the hood.
- Open the drivers door. NOTE: A service resetting message will appear on the instrument cluster.
- Fully depress both the accelerator and brake pedals and hold for 10 seconds.
- Set the ignition to the OFF position.
- Set the ignition to the ON position and check the message has been cleared.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Next time just change your oil (& filters) yourself and avoid the dealer completely. I use a mityvac oil extractor from amazon on my l405 and literally could wear a tuxedo while I do it I get no oil spilled anywhere. Saves money and time.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
254 Posts
Next time just change your oil (& filters) yourself and avoid the dealer completely. I use a mityvac oil extractor from amazon on my l405 and literally could wear a tuxedo while I do it I get no oil spilled anywhere. Saves money and time.
I think I could probably do it in a suit or maybe business casual :) but I have the same setup at home for my L405.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
2 Posts
Im totally knew to Land Rover and just purchased 2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged with 38k mile. I here the horror stories about dealers and service.

My question: How often do you change your oil? Synthetic? Where do you buy your oil and oil filter?

Any help appreciated to this rookie RR owner who likes to DIY and save the $300.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
586 Posts
I change it every 6 months. I use Ravenol. I buy it on Amazon. I get the filter from British-Atlantic. Just make sure that whatever you purchase fills the specifications in your owner's manual.

Love yourself and buy the Mity-vac that riozilla mentioned.

Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds all great, but I would love more insight on this issue as for the following:

Same issue here, my 2017 RR HSE TD6 had the exact same issue with the dealer... however the instructions given to clear the code DOES NOT WORK...
I went back to the Dealer and they told me they have a special process to clear the code, that I am unable to do it...

Please advise if anyone knows a shortcut that I can actually do it myself...

Thanks a lot for any inputs.
Cheers
Luiz

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for the tip.
Could you advise what exactly is the mity-vac does?
Appreciated it.
Cheers
Luiz

I change it every 6 months. I use Ravenol. I buy it on Amazon. I get the filter from British-Atlantic. Just make sure that whatever you purchase fills the specifications in your owner's manual.

Love yourself and buy the Mity-vac that riozilla mentioned.

Steve

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello localbrew.
I see we have the same vehicle.
I would like to have oil and filter changed on my owm, but had some issues resseting the service message.

Anyway, can you tell me what oil you use and where do you buy for your 2016 RR HSE TD6? also, please let me know type of filter and what do you use to extract the oil from the engine?
Thanks a lot, really appreciated it.
Cheers, Luiz

I think I could probably do it in a suit or maybe business casual :) but I have the same setup at home for my L405.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Luiz - I have the Autel MK808 that I purchased for my older 2010 RR full size, there are a few manual reset procedures on the forum that you can use which do not require a computer.

This is the tool I use to extract the oil: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR7TC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only use genuine LR oil filters and I use Ravenol 5w-30 ACEA C1 oil.

Good luck Luiz and let us know how it goes. I've found that doing it while the car is warm (not hot) is best and give the oil filter housing cap 3 to 4 full turns to loosen it before starting the extraction method.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks a lot for the information.
Can you please advise if the oil you use is the Ravenol FLJ SAE 5W-30, ACEA C1? How many quarters do you use including the oil filter fill? Thanks a lot again.
Luiz

Hi Luiz - I have the Autel MK808 that I purchased for my older 2010 RR full size, there are a few manual reset procedures on the forum that you can use which do not require a computer.

This is the tool I use to extract the oil: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002SR7TC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I only use genuine LR oil filters and I use Ravenol 5w-30 ACEA C1 oil.

Good luck Luiz and let us know how it goes. I've found that doing it while the car is warm (not hot) is best and give the oil filter housing cap 3 to 4 full turns to loosen it before starting the extraction method.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks a lot for the information.
Can you please advise if the oil you use is the Ravenol FLJ SAE 5W-30, ACEA C1? How many quarters do you use including the oil filter fill? Thanks a lot again.
Luiz
Yes that is the oil that I use; as for the # of qts I think it's 6 qts. the extraction method does not remove all of the oil. I would advise to refer to your service manual and always check the oil level in the cluster control center.

·
Administrator
27,795 Posts
Could you advise what exactly is the mity-vac does?
Covered in pretty much every oil change thread in the 405 and 494 section. It sucks the old used oil out of the sump pan via the line under the oil fill cap. It is exactly the same thing dealer does and charges a ridiculous amount of wallet filler.

Umbertob did a detailed "How-to" write on how to connect the vacuum extractor... follow the direction on whatever make and model you purchase for how to pump it up to have the vacuum function.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can someone advise where to buy a GOOD oil filter for the L405 (2017 RR HSE Td6) engine? (DIESEL ENGINE)

I cannot find it online. Please advise.
Thank you
Luiz

1 - 16 of 16 Posts