RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after reading and learning so much from the forum, thought i'd put a bit back in ;)

in my recently acquired 2001 Vogue, I fancied a change from fitting the new engine, heater O-rings, etc, so started looking at the interior. Thought the HK stereo was pretty good, then discovered that was with the subwoofer being completly silent :(

I'm not a stereo person really, but if its fitted then it should work - so i decided to try and find out what was wrong. Looked on here but couldn't find much, so pulled the subwoofer and CD player unit out and then the DSP amp behind - checked connections and for signs of water ingress - but all looked ok.

So opened up the woofer unit and found the shiney HK amp inside - tried that on the bench with another power source and sound input from another radio - but just dead. Started looking at the components on the amp board (bit out of my depth here) - but did notice what looked like a relay - searched the web on the part number and found on another forum that these sometimes fail - so i bypassed it to test and it worked :shock:

discovered that the original relay (EER2C-S12-DC12v) could be replaced by part JM67X from Maplin. Ordered one and soldered it in place - put it all back together and it works fine.

and the cost of the relay - £1.32 - my cheapest P38 fix so far `)

some pics:

Hope it helps if someone has a similar problem.

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Nice write up.

My amps (have a spare one in the garage) are completely different, and are on the outside of the sub box. Weird.

·
Registered
87 Posts
same problem here. A dead subwoofer,no sound. +12 permanent and +12 switch and ground ok. I oen the box and crosswired the relay.
Then it works. So broken relays to. Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
323 Posts
Thanks for the write-up. Have not had a chance to listen to my system yet as the radio is out for repairs but will keep this fix in mind if the sub does not seem to work. Those tall black cylinders are capacitors and over time they can fail. Typical signs are a bulge at the top or leaking of fluid at the bottom. If you see those signs it is best to replace them. Easily obtainable from electronics parts suppliers.
cheers,
Gordon

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Nice write up.

My amps (have a spare one in the garage) are completely different, and are on the outside of the sub box. Weird.
Very nice write up indeed!
Thanks for that.
Possibly Kmagnuss's amp is different since, according to signature, he has a 05 MK III?
It would be terrific if they were cross compatible.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,225 Posts
There are 2 versions of the subwoofer that has dual speaker cones. The first version was for the 'thor' high line system which had the little black box amp on the side of the subwoofer unit. the 'Premium'/DSP system had the type with the massive amp bolted to the back of the speaker drivers.

I still have my old amp kicking about somewhere (the big type) which I want to troubleshoot at some point - I'm pretty sure the relay is good as half the amp seemed to work, but ended up swapping it out for the earlier type with the external amp.

I know Kmagnuss used to have a P38...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts