RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and not found this same situation.
A few days ago I left work and found the center dome light on in the car. I thought I just left it on. Car started up.
Today. I went out to my RR about 3:30P and the car was completely dead.
A neighbor tells me that 11A she saw the center dome light on in the car(Thanks for telling me!).
I know I did not leave the dome on. Positive! And I mean the car is completely dead. No anything, including the alarm.
I've read that sometimes the flashers will go off if the alarm goes awry.
But I could find nothing on the center dome.
Any help would be great.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
Failing battery? Failing alternator? Failing dome switch? I would give her a jump and run the electrical tests in the stickie above. For the time being pull the bulb out of the dome light.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. And I'll give it a go.
Question. Why would either the battery or the alternator turn on the dome light?
I know why the alt would drain the battery.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,755 Posts
They wouldn't, but if your battery is on it's way out already the dome light fault may have been the last straw. Once the battery is completely dead a weak alternator can very quickly burn out.

THe dome light may simply be a worn wire or faulty switch. My thought, sorry for not completeing it, was to pull the dome bulb and get the old girl back up and running with the battery and alternator verified. THen tackle the dome light. SOrry, too many things on my mind at once. :?

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again.
I got my girl fired up. Took about 3 minutes from my friends car to recharge and light up.
I took a nice drive to give the battery some juice.
I pulled the dome light. Come tomorrow morning, I'll try and give it a start. If it starts, then I will assume it's a bad wire or such.
If not, then I'll change out the alt.

Either way. A big thanks to you! :clap:

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This problem has also been fixed.
As has been posted numerous times, the culprit was the RF antenna. It was setting off the alarm and and keeping the inside lights on. New neighbor installed wireless modem.
Disconnected the RF antenna at the same time I removed a bad Nav unit.
Everything is as it should be in my RR world.
Once again. Big thanks to all of you for the priceless help!

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
I've got two 2.4GHz wireless routers at home and other neighbours around also do (according to wireless scan). There's also 4 mobile antenna masts within 3-400m. I've never had any problem with battery drain. I believe the Japanese Spec P38 (which is what mine is), uses the USA keyfob range (- the sticker on the back of my keyfob starts with "USA / CANADA"). I wonder why this problem of the BECM not sleeping, is such an issue for some locations, but not others??

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
My computer has just found 7 other wireless networks ( and I think its a slow night ) and even when my p38 sat outside whilst I was away on holiday for a fortnight it never suffered from interference.
Neither was it bothered by the transmitters near the police station which screw up a friend's Subaru.
And it started first time after it had been sitting on a hilltop for a few hours when I had been photographing a forest of transmitters.

·
Registered
701 Posts
And it started first time after it had been sitting on a hilltop for a few hours when I had been photographing a forest of transmitters.
I'll bet the BECM was going $*(%&$^(*#$&^#($*^&#$^(#$*&#$(^#$&^#$^^AHHHHHHHH!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also forgot to add that I live close to the landing zone for Lindbergh Field airport.
Whatever kind of interference it was, disconnecting the RF has solved the problem.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No need. I just have to be within a couple of feet of the RR for the key fob to work.
It was just the antenna that I disconnected.

·
Registered
2002 P38 4.6 HSE
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update.
No problems since disconnecting the RF cable(blue).
No dead battery. No dome light on over night.
No alarm going off for no reason.
Thanks for all of the advice from you all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i also have a wireless router and do have a battery drain but wireless router constantly send out signals, its new signals when the BECM is asleep that wakes it up and causes the drain - try it for yourself - sit in the car and lock it with the remote after the BECM sleeps press another cars fob close to the car and that wakes it up, if you park in a multistorey carpark then your fcuked lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts