Range Rovers Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other night my wife couldn't start the our 04 RR HSE when leaving work. I suspect she left the lights on, but she won't confess. I showed up with jumper cables. The dome lights worked, but not enough juice to turn it over. I jumped it and it started right up.
On startup there were a number of warning lights ABS/TC..etc on. And the "Air Susp Inactive" came up on the display. I then got out and noticed the front left corner was sitting low. A few moments later though it leveled out. I took the car for a drive, the warning all went away, but as I was turning a corner I heard a noise from the front left and the corner dropped again. I was able to use the adjuster and it eventually leveled out again.
I charged the batter when I got home and drove it to work the next day (23 miles) and everything was normal. Until I went out for lunch and it did the same thing again (front left corner dropped).
It has now since done this multiple times. I tried the steering wheel reset (turning it lock to lock). I've disconnected the battery to reset and still its acting up. When I was testing it out in my garage, I noticed an air leak noise coming from the left front corner and could even feel some air under there when I put my hand around the shock. Is my bag on that corner shot? It seems strange that it would hold air sometimes and then other times just let go. The air suspension never gave us any problems before the battery was low.
Any suggestions?????

·
Administrator
27,834 Posts
Well if you hear air escaping and feel air escaping then you most likely have a leak. No it is not at all strange to be leaking at one height and not leaking at another or leaking at different times.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Ditto on RRToadhall... the bag has a leak. You can feel and hear the air - and the only place it can come from is the bag.

Don't replace just one, replace both fronts. Head over to Storey Wilsons site for extremely helpful video on how to do it yourself.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank guys. I think you've confirmed what common sense was telling me. I'll order up a new strut tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on the install video. Looks straight forward. Is there a recommended place to order one from?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FOLLOW UP: I ordered a refurbished shock and finally got a chance to install it yesterday. The install was really easy after watching the video. Took me maybe 2 hrs, and that was with me really taking it slow.
Everything seems to be functioning perfectly now so far! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi

I have had nearly the exact problem as you with the flat battery. My only problem is the Air Susp. Inactive
You mention the steering wheel trick? Can you talk me through it?

Cheers Scott

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
i just saw video on u tube on how to do it so best to look there since i have only sat in a a l322

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I am having similar issues and wonder if I could get some advise. Had some issues with drivers side air springs front and back. Apparently was the pipe going into the top. LR said I needed to change the whole assembly at 3000USD. Didn't changed them but changed the pipes and all was fine.

Couple of weeks ago left the lights on and had a dead battery. The Range was kneeling drivers side front. Got the battery started and was working fine. Was kneeling again in the morning. Then after that no problems. Even after a week of not using requires very little adjustment. Seems to be holding well.

Yesterday however started to drop when driving. Wouldn't return. Eventually returned and stayed there proud until I drove it and started kneeling front drivers side.

It seems to be more of a computer/sensor issue I think as when it is ok it doesn't lose air and goes up ad down very quickly with the control. Then suddenly loses and the controls don't work.

One strange thing is even when I cant get it to work, if I turn off the engine and then turn the ignition without stating the engine it levels up which would suggest the bags are ok?????

Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Sounds to me like your case is not all that different from the others we see here all the time, indeed the advice in this thread already should indicate that you have a leak. Just because it sometimes stays up for a while doesn't mean you don't have a leak. Read some of the other threads on this subject, this is a common issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts