RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some input on this one. My wife’s MY18 RRS Dymamic HSE has been in our possession since late March. It ONLY has 1150 miles on it, and the last few times she drove it, it gave here an alert / warning of a low battery. (NO; it has not been driven much, as we have been on the go A LOT this past three months.)

Yesterday, I went out to start it after having been gone on holiday for 2 (+) weeks, and it was DEAD. I had to get into the unit via the mechanical means, and then had to jump it off. I let it run for 15 minutes and as expected, when I turned it off, it would not crank back up. (It now has a date with the LR Service Dept.)

I expect one of three things:

1) The battery has a bad cell
2) There is a parasitic drain on the battery when the unit is off
3) It has not been run enough to keep the battery topped off ... ?

Mind you, I am a neophyte compared to most of you on this forum. Any thoughts / comments. Any / all would be most appreciated. Also, I did scour the postings for similar issues with recent MY’s and may be overlooking.

And certainly, I will report back on the LR Service Dept findings. Thank you.

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
I would vote for lack of driving. If this is going to be a pattern, I would install a battery tender to the jump posts. This will keep your Sport happy during those long lonely times.

Bad cell in only a few months would be rare. Now a faulty battery from factory is a little more likely.

Parasitic drain would also be rare. I don't think either new model has had issues along those lines.

·
Registered
2014 RRS
1,443 Posts
I agree with the Toad. If I am not driving my RRS in a week, I'll put it on a smart charger. These cars normally will slowly drain a battery. Idling 15 minutes with a dead battery will not charge it and it'll put a strain on your alternator.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I say the battery is defective.

I’ve had a few JLRs and we had an Fpace with similar issues you’re describing. They replaced it under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Will update once the LR Service Dept has weighed in.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
All of the above are possible.
However, there is a service bulletin for incorrect battery drain detection / low battery warning, its number is SSM72570. I received low battery warnings when I went on +/- 1 week business travel and didn't drive the car. Now that is not normal. They applied the update (and checked for excessive drain, for just in case) and since then, I'm all set. Tell your SA to apply said update, regardless of what else they find. I think it's an '18 only thing.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
294 Posts
My car was delayed at port because all new deliveries need battery replacements or inspections. Probably related.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Same happened to me after 6 days of business travel. Got the low battery warning, but it started and I drove to the store and put it back in the garage. Came home 5 days later and the battery was completely dead and the car wouldn’t even turn over. I thought it was software related and planned to take it in to JLR for an update. Good to know there is a bulletin on this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I looked into my 2018 battery always being in a low state of charge and getting the "start engine" warning. It appears that the alternator output is controlled by software. If you connect a volt meter and watch it while driving you will see that the battery does not receive any charging while accelerating and minimal charging while maintaining a steady speed. The voltage, therefore the charging being put into the battery, increases dramatically when coasting. I see this as way to increase mileage, similar to EV and hybrid regenerative braking, but sacrifices battery reliability and longevity on gas and diesel vehicles. Due to the parasitic drain while parked and the battery never being fully charged, it is usually in a partial or low state of charge.

·
Registered
112 Posts
All good points, i will keep on eye for voltage drops with voltmeter. Also will ask about the service bulletin.
My car does get used daily and my battery tested bad.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Failed to “wrap” this one up. The final verdict; bad battery. I now have an Interstate equivilant to what was originally installed on the RRS, all - obviously - under warranty. AND ... I now have a Deltran Tender keeping a float on the battery during those “away” days.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lastly ... Thanks to all of those that weighed in, and especially for the behind the scenes PM responsiveness and support. Very much appreciated.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts